Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Alternative TLDR: (for @xXCheXx )
Don’t disable the backup sound because a bunch of interweb lawyers say that if the backup camera, mirrors, backup obstacle warning tone, and automatic collision avoidance braking don’t stop you from backing over a blind person, then you’ll be saved by the fact that it was beeping like a Tow Truck. When in court you can say, “Yes judge, I know the car automatically applied applied the brakes, but I had a warning tone going so I knew nothing was behind me. So without looking, I gave it more gas. Not my fault,” and you’ll be saved.
If you choose to ignore this sage advice, you can muffle the speaker by putting cardboard or foam between the speaker and grill, which is located under the car just midline of the driver’s side front tire. Or you can disable the speaker entirely by unplugging it and bridging the blade connectors with a 5 watt 4.7 ohm resistor.

also edited the first post for you.
yeah, that's a much more valid summary. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

oops my eyes rolled out of my head
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
ps since there's been repeated insistence on this thread that there is no mandate - about 30 seconds of googling with Bing found it: 49 CFR § 571.141 - Standard No. 141; Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles. | CFR | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)
I don’t think the owner is an entity subject to the authority of the NHTSA.

S8 Prohibition on altering the sound of a vehicle subject to this standard. No entity subject to the authority of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration may:

(a) Disable, alter, replace, or modify any element of a vehicle installed as original equipment for purposes of complying with this Standard, except in connection with a repair of a vehicle malfunction or to remedy a defect or non-compliance; or

(b) Provide any person with any mechanism, equipment, process, or device intended to disable, alter, replace, or modify the sound emitting capability of a vehicle subject to this standard, except in connection with a repair of vehicle malfunction or to remedy a defect or non-compliance

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I don’t think the owner is an entity subject to the authority of the NHTSA.

S8 Prohibition on altering the sound of a vehicle subject to this standard. No entity subject to the authority of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration may:

(a) Disable, alter, replace, or modify any element of a vehicle installed as original equipment for purposes of complying with this Standard, except in connection with a repair of a vehicle malfunction or to remedy a defect or non-compliance; or

(b) Provide any person with any mechanism, equipment, process, or device intended to disable, alter, replace, or modify the sound emitting capability of a vehicle subject to this standard, except in connection with a repair of vehicle malfunction or to remedy a defect or non-compliance
The "owner" bit was never brought up. The argument - back on page 1! - was that there was no federal requirement to make the noise at all:

Disable Backup Beeping? | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com

but that is wrong; there is a requirement. I just took the 30 seconds to find it.

There was also a statement that no other EV does this - but that's also wrong; the Kia Niro does this, for one thing:

Beeping in reverse? | Kia Niro Forum

That thread actually explains the 2018 PHEV does it as well, basically anticipating the rule.

anyway ultimately every owner can do what they want with their car. But that doesn't change that Ford was legally required to have the car do it, and the requirement is there for a reason.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Maybe it’s possible that this beep is louder on some copies than on mine, but holy smokes, the reaction here seems hyperbolic. One guy even said the beep causes him pain. Yet, I can only hear mine if I have the windows down. The garage door is louder.

Maybe someone who is complaining can record it and post it so the rest of us know what you’re dealing with?

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I don’t know if I’m more grossed out by the flagrant disregard for people with disabilities or the fact that @GoGoGadgetMachE uses Bing

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Ah yes. Flagrant disregard. Now we’ve got hyperbole. I’ve got 4 redundant safety features to keep me from hitting people, animals, or even bicycles that my kids leave in the driveway. But if I don’t want my car to beep when backing up, I have flagrant disregard for for people who can’t see well. Got it.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Ah yes. Flagrant disregard. Now we’ve got hyperbole. I’ve got 4 redundant safety features to keep me from hitting people, animals, or even bicycles that my kids leave in the driveway. But if I don’t want my car to beep when backing up, I have flagrant disregard for for people who can’t see well. Got it.
Lol wow settle down, I was going for impact on the Bing joke. Maybe step outside for a sec

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Keep in mind the beeping is not for YOU to avoid a sight impaired person. It is for them to avoid YOU.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Lol wow settle down, I was going for impact on the Bing joke. Maybe step outside for a sec
In that case, I apologize. I missed the emphasis. I can admit that. ?

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
And I did think the Bing joke was good.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
let me summarize: "I'm annoyed by a federally mandated noise so screw blind people; you can hack in a resistor to bypass all that pesky safety nonsense or shove in some kind of blocker. It's all about me, me, me!"
What does message board virtue signaling feel like? I imagine it’s like a sip of warm hot chocolate while snuggling a puppy. Is that about right?

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
And where is the push to require noise emitters on bicycles, which are far quieter than even the stealthiest EV and just as potentially dangerous at high speed
Momentum = mass x velocity

A Mach-E is two orders of magnitude more massive than a bicycle. Even if it's going relatively slowly, it'll do more damage to a pedestrian than a bicycle.
Sponsored