Disable PaaK when at home?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
So what was the consensus here? Because I'm sitting in my office next to the garage and my Fordpass app shows it's connected to the Mach E via bluetooth (can open windows and hatch etc).
My phone stays connected to the MME just about anywhere in my house. But that doesn’t mean anyone can open it or start it, so it doesn’t cause any issues for me.
Sponsored

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
PaaK.... clever idea until you try to make the car see it sometimes but not others under identical circumstances.

I'll be turning that off. I think wireless fobs are miraculous enough for today's.... (in your best movie trailer announcer guy voice) 'Man on the go' (end movie guy voice).

'You mean I can .... just by putting a fob in my pocket????
Stop, you've succeeded my friend. Jolly well done.'

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
My phone stays connected to the MME just about anywhere in my house. But that doesn’t mean anyone can open it or start it, so it doesn’t cause any issues for me.
My concern is not someone stealing the car, more so is it bad for the car to constantly think I’m near it and then not?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Can I disable PaaK when my car is parked in my garage? I'm a little concerned about frequent wake up of the vehicle whenever I walk to the room on the other side of the attached garage wall.
easiest way is to turn Bluetooth off on your phone.

second way is to 'force stop' the Fordpass app after you park, and start it back up when you are getting ready to leave.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have turned off the walk away lock feature, I hate locking the car in my garage and having the mirrors folding. I also turned off the honking with the locks. If Ford would do an update where I can set the car to not automatically lock at home, I would likely re-enable the feature.

When I am away from home, I close the door and push the lock button on the door, that works just fine, and I see the mirrors fold as feedback that it worked.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
easiest way is to turn Bluetooth off on your phone.

second way is to 'force stop' the Fordpass app after you park, and start it back up when you are getting ready to leave.
Based on my testing of PaaK and sniffing/debugging BT communications with the car, both of these recommendations are the only way in which I can reproduce significant PaaK errors. The FP app service actually requests that it never be killed from the OS. So when doing either of the above it just throws the app into a tizzy.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Based on my testing of PaaK and sniffing/debugging BT communications with the car, both of these recommendations are the only way in which I can reproduce significant PaaK errors. The FP app service actually requests that it never be killed from the OS. So when doing either of the above it just throws the app into a tizzy.
either does accomplish what the OP wants.... which is to stop waking up the MME every time you walk past it in the garage.

...not sure what you mean by a tizzy, but I get no errors from PAAK or FordPass. It just takes 10-15 seconds to wake up and re-connect as I approach.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I have turned off the walk away lock feature, I hate locking the car in my garage and having the mirrors folding. I also turned off the honking with the locks. If Ford would do an update where I can set the car to not automatically lock at home, I would likely re-enable the feature.

When I am away from home, I close the door and push the lock button on the door, that works just fine, and I see the mirrors fold as feedback that it worked.
I did the same thing..... I HATED the car locking and honking in my garage. My office is right next to garage, and I go in and out of the garage constantly to work in my shop. The damn thing was waking up , unlocking, locking and honking every time I walked by.

A really good enhancement would be 'no-auto-lock' at safe coordinates you could set to your garage.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
either does accomplish what the OP wants.... which is to stop waking up the MME every time you walk past it in the garage.

...not sure what you mean by a tizzy, but I get no errors from PAAK or FordPass. It just takes 10-15 seconds to wake up and re-connect as I approach.
I don't know what phone you have, but due to the PaaK thread and all the issues I've been looking at debug logs and bluetooth comms between the phone and the car. One of the things I've seen with Android devices is that when BT is disabled or the app is forced closed it can cause the re-connection of PaaK services to fail until the FP app is re-opened. I guess that could be considered a good thing if you want PaaK to fail, but it's obvious that the FP app is not happy about it.

I understand, while the OP might want this, many people will disable BT when at work or otherwise and when they return to the car, even though they re-enabled it, might experience a poor PaaK experience. So I'm only bringing attention to the fact that if people do these things, reconnecting will require you to open the FP app.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I don't know what phone you have, but due to the PaaK thread and all the issues I've been looking at debug logs and bluetooth comms between the phone and the car. One of the things I've seen with Android devices is that when BT is disabled or the app is forced closed it can cause the re-connection of PaaK services to fail until the FP app is re-opened. I guess that could be considered a good thing if you want PaaK to fail, but it's obvious that the FP app is not happy about it.

I understand, while the OP might want this, many people will disable BT when at work or otherwise and when they return to the car, even though they re-enabled it, might experience a poor PaaK experience. So I'm only bringing attention to the fact that if people do these things, reconnecting will require you to open the FP app.

on android I pretty much HAD to force stop FordPass to prevent it from eating my phone battery until version 3.32. so force stop on walk away, and restart on approach was something I was doing regardless to save my phone battery.

now, I either turn off BT, or force stop FP. The BT on/off seems to re-connect a little faster.
Sponsored