Disable PaaK when at home?

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
Hmm... Looks like I can only tell it to "Forget" a device which I wouldn't want to do.

This might be why some people say PaaK isn't always responsive. Maybe after a few times waking the car up without entering it, the car ignores PaaK until you get really close or push the door button, etc.

I noticed this behavior when I had the test car. I went to take out the trash. As I looked at the garage door, I noticed a faint red glow. I went back in the house and peeked in the garage. Sure enough the Mach-E was on.

But then later that evening, when I went back out to the car, it took awhile for it to recognize me.
Not sure about Android, but on IPhone you can also "Disconnect" device, not just "Forget" - disconnecting should work fine, imho...
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Same issues here, I might just stick with the FOB until it gets addressed.
I do think it times out trying, just haven’t studied it.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to add a geofence to disable walk-away unlock and PAAK approach detection in a geographic radius the owner sets.

Johnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium SR AWD, Buick Enclave
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to add a geofence to disable walk-away unlock and PAAK approach detection in a geographic radius the owner sets.
Right, but that wouldn't work in my situation, where I'm physically above the car (garage under the kitchen) - our two-dimensional geographic location is the same.

Ciero

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4x Premium Edition, Explorer Sport
Country flag
I would think it would be just like setting a home charge location. Your home location wouldn't automatically lock/unlock when you approach after the initial walk away, or at all, but could still function to start the car.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'd also love to see this in an OTA. No need for the car to be locked in my garage, and I had to turn off the car horn when the car locks behind me because it kept scaring my dog whenever I left the garage and the car parked.
That honk was one of the first things I turned off for many reasons!

OP
OP
RyZt

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
How would you start the car at home then?
I don’t think I would like that behavior to disable Paak at home. How would it know when I’m walking up to the car in the garage to use the phone as a key?
PaaK for starting the car shouldn't be disabled. I can think of three ways for PaaK for entry:

* Don't really disable PaaK. Just cut out the lights, etc.
* Re-enable PaaK temporarily when I press the unlock button on the door.
* Use PIN to enter the car.

EMachE

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
I believe that you can touch the lock symbol on the door trim to lock it as well.

EMachE

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
Hmm... Looks like I can only tell it to "Forget" a device which I wouldn't want to do.

This might be why some people say PaaK isn't always responsive. Maybe after a few times waking the car up without entering it, the car ignores PaaK until you get really close or push the door button, etc.

I noticed this behavior when I had the test car. I went to take out the trash. As I looked at the garage door, I noticed a faint red glow. I went back in the house and peeked in the garage. Sure enough the Mach-E was on.

But then later that evening, when I went back out to the car, it took awhile for it to recognize me.
I closed the app and when I walked near my car it still recognizes me.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
This is why phone-as-a-key basically doesn't exist in my mind until cars are using the new car key standard that Apple is using. It is not only NFC/Bluetooth to connect to the car, but also uses ultra-wideband to determine how close you are to the car. It is designed around this specific problem

Coming from a Model 3 that had phone as a key, I am just using my fob for the Mach E. Much more reliable (and predictable) and I already have to have other keys on me to get into the house or my office anyway

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Still awaiting delivery of my Mach-E but this thread has me wondering if the car is parked in the driveway could a random person walk up and drive it away if I'm in a room near the car?

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
So what was the consensus here? Because I'm sitting in my office next to the garage and my Fordpass app shows it's connected to the Mach E via bluetooth (can open windows and hatch etc).

Tron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-E premium AWD STD - Infinite Blue
Country flag
I've had intermittent results, especially on recognizing that I'm approaching the car. Just today I was locked out in the rain while I fumbled with app. Restarting the app solved it, on the 2nd or third try.

But it also causes issue on walk away. There is a SSM for PAAk Issues, but it may not be comprehensive.

I just shut off Bluetooth if I'm washing the car and it starts acting up. It's understandable if this is not viable for everyone.
Sponsored