Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
He would have to put it in park, shut the car off, and open his door. ALL of those things have to happen before the Ford system will auto-unlock the doors.
Or just press the door unlock button.
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Does the Mach-E have a traditional Child Safety lock system for the rear doors (which prevents opening from the inside even when stopped)?
@Awmustang is correct. If you press the window lock button on the drivers door, this also activates the child lock on the rear doors. Apparently if you need the child lock to keep you from getting out, you’re also not mature enough to have control of your own window. ?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Or just press the door unlock button.
Wait, wut? I have to push a button? #FirstWorldProblems

I own 3 Fords currently (1 for sale), and before buying each I could go online and download the PDF manual and read to my heart's content.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
It is more than just that
You have people who will try to car jack you to open the cars but another huge reason is to help keep the door close in a car wreak.
The doors being lock prevents them from being open in a crash as the level can get open from some wrecks.
In a crash we dont want our doors opening during the crash

All in all it is mostly a for safety.
This. Most people don’t know that auto-locks were originally introduced as a crash safety enhancement. Even the manual quote posted above says that the doors will remain locked for 6 sec incase of additional impacts.
The bad people safety aspect is just a bonus.

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I envy you guys who live in nice, safe cities. (That's the justification behind the auto-locking, btw)
There is no way to disable this auto lock while driving. I’ve disabled it on every vehicle I’ve ever owned… until this one.
According to the owners manual it locks when you reach 12 MPH and unlocks again when you slow to below 12 MPH, but it never seems to unlock the doors for me.
Sure it's a government safety mandate workers are required to have certain features for safety reasons to keep people from hurting themselves unexpectedly such as the advent of our cars have to have a back up camera as of 2015 that are produced new etc..

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I do still find the carjacking argument hilarious.

Ford Product Design: We want to protect people from criminals.

Ford Engineer: But only fast ones right?

Ford Product Design: What do you mean “the fast ones?”

Ford Engineer:The ones going over 12 MPH.Duh!!!!

Ford Product Design: (Not wanting to look uninformed) Yeah. Those ones. They’re way worser Than the slow ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
valeriol

valeriol

First Name
Valerio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RW
Country flag
It is more than just that
You have people who will try to car jack you to open the cars but another huge reason is to help keep the door close in a car wreak.
The doors being lock prevents them from being open in a crash as the level can get open from some wrecks.
In a crash we dont want our doors opening during the crash

All in all it is mostly a for safety.
I can see how that might have been the reasoning in older cars, but in the ME the lock simply disables the electronic button on the outside of the door. Call me unconvinced.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
I can see how that might have been the reasoning in older cars, but in the ME the lock simply disables the electronic button on the outside of the door. Call me unconvinced.
I heard that it was to prevent occupants from accidentally pulling the handle when their arms are flailing about in an accident. No idea how accurate that is, or how likely, but I feel like the car companies wouldn't expend time, money and resources on something like this unless there were a real benefit.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
Putting in park doesn't do it :(
I think it's the GM vehicles that unlock when shifted into park. Fords wait till the car is off and the driver's door opens.

OP
OP
valeriol

valeriol

First Name
Valerio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RW
Country flag
I heard that it was to prevent occupants from accidentally pulling the handle when their arms are flailing about in an accident. No idea how accurate that is, or how likely, but I feel like the car companies wouldn't expend time, money and resources on something like this unless there were a real benefit.
The lock only applies to the outside button, if you pull the handle inside it will open (as it should be).
Maybe the Ford engineers wanted to see how much time we can waste on this ! :p

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Turn off the mirror folding in when you lock the car and then lock the car from outside the car and listen you will hear some movement. That is the door latch locking itself into place so it is still doing more than just disabling the outside button.
hell lock you car inside and you hear things moving. This tells me it is a lot more than just disabling the button
Sponsored