Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
That actually is my outstanding question at the bottom of the original post. I am getting a warning light on the dashboard. The system noticed that the side airbag is disconnected. I don't really want to short across to fool it that it is there because I don't know how that would affect the rest of the system. I am hoping someone else does know how to eliminate the warning, without affecting the rest of the airbag system
I think you need to measure the resistance of the seat airbag terminals and substitute a resistor for the unit, At the same value. This will turn off the light. You also have the seat occupancy sensor to do something similar with. That may be able to be mounted under the new seat upholstery. I do not know what happens when you are in an accident and power goes to it, I am sure it gets hot. I am a Mech Eng too. In my State you cannot get a state inspection on a car with an airbag light or disabled airbag. There is a company that rebuilds airbag components. They may know the resistance or be able to build you the defeat resistors. Safetyrestore.com is the company.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I think you need to measure the resistance of the seat airbag terminals and substitute a resistor for the unit, At the same value. This will turn off the light. You also have the seat occupancy sensor to do something similar with. That may be able to be mounted under the new seat upholstery. I do not know what happens when you are in an accident and power goes to it, I am sure it gets hot. I am a Mech Eng too. In my State you cannot get a state inspection on a car with an airbag light or disabled airbag. There is a company that rebuilds airbag components. They may know the resistance or be able to build you the defeat resistors. Safetyrestore.com is the company.
great info.... I.ll see what I can track down.
there is no safety inspection at all, ever, in NM.... so no rush there.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
My apologies if i raised your ire, no disrespect was intended just stating my thoughts and concerns in keeping your vehicle safe.
I have spent many years modifying and "upgrading" various cars from a lowly 63 Comet to a 72 Ranchero with many others in between. The desire to make it "your own" is sometimes overwhelming and we tend to do what we want (been there done that) bypassing regulations and laws to make ourselves happy in the end.
I stated the "modify and tamper" because the MME has a specific restrain system warranty and any modifications will void that warranty.

Again my apologies

Tony
no need for apology.

I'm just lookin to get it done as safely and quickly as possible. I wanted different seats, no aftermarket bracket was available, so I made'em.

I'm wishing the side airbag was in the door pillar instead of seat... but it's not. So I am making an informed choice to do without the side airbag (which I hope to never need) in favor of seats that I like and use every time I drive.

gimme a freakin break people for not having done FEA analysis and crash test dummies on a fabricated bracket that I'm pretty sure is at least as stout as factory. Or, at least stout enough for all practical purposes in any crash that wouldn't otherwise present bigger problems.

The message to Ford is
I really didn't like the factory seats, and I wish the side airbags were in the door pillar so I could have a choice for aftermarket seats and still have side airbags.

Last edited:

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
I did a lot of modifications to my cars over the years, mostly LEDs and a lot of them, I was a product designer... but two things I wouldn't screw with are the seat mounts (let alone what you're using) or the side airbag.

You're putting yourself and if your swap out the other seat - wife at risk. In the least, you lose the side impact crash test rating by removing a crucial aspect.

Worst case, as an engineer - someone already mentioned it, but ability to carry weight does not equal the amount of force during an impact.

I remember a car manual that explained why not to hold a baby in your lap. When you have an accident a 30lb baby becomes a 900lb force. This is the strength limitations of solar brackets.

Secondly, you're may be in some legal shit if you get in an accident. Ford's computer will narc out the lack of side airbags, and that's something an insurance adjuster will see.

Sorry to sound like a debbie downer, but this just sounds all types of bad from safety to liability in case of an accident. If this were a 'track day bro' (RCR reference) car, okay - but as a daily driver... nah.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
We had the knee air bag removed in a Mercedes so we could install a hand control for my wife. It’s a diode kit that had to be ordered from the hand control manufacturer. My guess, you have to be licensed to purchase such items. I won’t add to the “safety” discussion above. At this point, I’m just enabling. Safe travels.

Last edited:

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
I actually could have welded one up with steel. I have all that stuff, and can weld..... coming up with fabrication in this case it is extremely difficult to measure the exact Heights and widths needed without a semi adjustable system, which the L Feet and rails accomplished perfectly for me since I could slide them around a little bit in the final fitment. Now that I have the exact measurements and spacing I could fabricate a static bracket, but quite frankly what I have right now is perfectly satisfactory for me.

My Hope Is that the aftermarket seat guys like corbeau and Sparco and whoever else actually do all their own measurements and come up with a prefabricated bracket under their Engineering and liability. but quite simply I did not want to wait and I do feel pretty confident that what I came up with is at least as good as anything they are going to come up with. :)
Please tell me you playing the long game with this joke, and will soon post a picture of the welded steel bracket you made to replace this extremely dangerous prototype.

Because if you are not, you are a danger to yourself and others and have no business in the field of mechanical engineering, as you clearly do not understand even the most basic principles.

NO ONE has commented that they believe your bracket is even remotely safe. I bet I could break that by just bouncing my fat 200# arse up and down on that seat. Those slide in bolts do not even allow for 1/2 of the head to make contact - in aluminum!

If you took that garbage to a track, the tech inspectors would put a picture up on their wall of shame, along with the bungee cords for battery tie downs. You might as well have make it out of Bud Light cans, at least it would better look the part.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
My apologies in advance…I couldn’t help myself, sorry!

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
The way you drive is a lot more a risk then a makeshift seat bracket. In general if you accept the fact you've altered the engineering and are taking a risk then it's likely all good. I've seen a lot worse (driving while sitting on a bucket for instance). That said, you do likely need to do some good bouncing and wiggle testing to ensure it's going to hold up. I remember a friend welding up a non-wheeled trailer and it was a point to purposely try to break it since any forces in driving would far exceed what you think could be applied in normal use.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
'Performance' seats change the whole driving experience! no slipping around when cornering hard.
With all of the aggressive cornering you are doing I have to assume you aren't on the stock all weather tires. What did you go with?

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
side airbags are of questionable use in a state like mine where huge numbers of people don't even use seat belts STILL.... or helmets on motorcycles, nevermind bicycles.
Er, that's not how it works. There's no logic in compromising your own safety because idiots around you do it moreso.

Or is this just 'The American Way' in action?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Er, that's not how it works. There's no logic in compromising your own safety because idiots around you do it moreso.
Correct.

Or is this just 'The American Way' in action?
Sort of.

To the extent that The American Way values independent thinking, freedoms, and rights, the idiots driving around without seat belts on are acting independently by ignoring the group's well studied consensus that seat belts save lives.

On the other hand, when when Dan states that side airbags are of questionable use due to other parties, not even present in his vehicle, who are not wearing seatbelts, it is only an illogical conclusion. Nothing to do with The American Way.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I think you need to measure the resistance of the seat airbag terminals and substitute a resistor for the unit, At the same value. This will turn off the light. You also have the seat occupancy sensor to do something similar with.
I was going to measure the resistance, but read somewhere that it is not safe to put a meter on the airbag terminals as it may supply enough energy to deploy the airbag.

More surfing around the internet turned up the info that the termination is most likely to be 2.2ohm... but also that the seat position sensor must be in place as well to make the SRS system happy.
Sponsored