JD797

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I recently brought my car into the dealership because of a 'Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power' error I got in the app. The car was sitting in the driveway at the time and wouldn't take a charge, I did not try to drive it though. A few days later the car would charge and I drove with no issue.

When I brought it to the dealer, the only error code they say they got was B1616 (Electrical System Drain), which I already knew about since my dashcam has a parking mode. However, they suggested nothing should be wired into the BCM and they removed my dashcam hardwire (without my consent).

I was hoping to get other opinions on this. Should this be hardwired somewhere else, or perhaps with a separate battery? Or is the dealership mistaken? Is it even possible for it to be related to the powertrain malfunction error given I've had the dashcam installed for nearly a year before seeing the error?

OP
OP

MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Grey, 2023 GT Vapor Blue
Country flag
I was hoping to get other opinions on this. Should this be hardwired somewhere else, or perhaps with a separate battery? Or is the dealership mistaken? Is it even possible for it to be related to the powertrain malfunction error given I've had the dashcam installed for nearly a year before seeing the error?
I have had that error EVERY MORNING for 2 years without any issues. Im calling 'bullshit' on that diagnosis from your dealer. If your dashcam has the ability, make sure it turns off if your battery gets below i.e. 12.2v

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My Thinkware has never ever caused any problems. I also have it wired into the BCM. The Thinkware has a built-in auto-turnoff below a certain voltage function. It's been on the car for about 30 thousand miles now.

JD797

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My Thinkware has never ever caused any problems. I also have it wired into the BCM. The Thinkware has a built-in auto-turnoff below a certain voltage function. It's been on the car for about 30 thousand miles now.
Which fuse number did you use?

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag

JD797

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Oh boy... I'll have to look it's been so long.
No worries, don't want you to take things apart to check. I decided to give slot 13 a try since it is also unused and rated for 15A vs the 20A of fuse 5 that I was previously using. Will see if it makes any difference.

I also have it set to kill power draw at 12V and I've never had issues with a dead battery before, even with the car parked for long periods, so will see what happens.

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
Jeff, this is fantastic. Thank you, it gave me the confidence to install my own dash cam this way. My biggest issue is the A column cover, how the hell did you get that back on? It’s driving me nuts, I don’t believe anything else is obstructed but the two clips up top are just not letting me in far enough to close it up. Any words of wisdom?

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector FullSizeRender.MOV

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY Tutorial for Hardwiring a Dashcam and Radar Detector FullSizeRender.MOV

Edit: Be smarter than me: pull the black clips out and then attach them to the A column cover, it'll then snap right into the other piece.
Did you remove the black metal spring clips? I've tried both ways and now the plastic tabs that the clips mount on are flimsy little weakened pieces of plastic.

IMG_0690.jpeg

rrobe53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE
It might be too late to help you, but maybe someone else can benefit here. I also had problems getting the A-pillar cover to clip back into those black pieces. I found out those black pieces are themselves clipped into the white piece. I removed the black pieces and installed them on the A-pillar cover and then I was easily able to snap everything back into place.
@MachDoc should add this to the op. I was ready to go to the dealer cause I couldn’t figure this out. Thought I broke something.
Sponsored