do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel?

Vaquero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mondeo - Mustang Mach-e LR AWD
Country flag
I would like to disassemble the steering wheel, especially the part of the steering wheel buttons and I would like to know if anyone has a manual or similar that can provide me.

Thx
Sponsored

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi, in order to disassemble the steering wheel, you need to remove it. In order to remove it, you need to remove the airbag first. While I have had my steering wheels on and off many times, I don't usually recommend someone doing this unless they know what they are doing. It is not all that hard, but you need to make sure you follow all safety warnings.

Below are pages from the Mach-E service manual on removing the driver airbag and then removing the wheel. If you do get this done and want to see some photos of how to take the trim and buttons out of the steering wheel, let me know and I will take some photos. I have a spare steering wheel or two I can take it apart and shoot some photos. You basically just remove the trim and the buttons come up with it and they are mounted to the trim with small torx screws.

Ford Mustang Mach-E do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel? Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.49.27 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel? Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.49.37 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel? Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.49.49 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel? Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.50.07 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel? Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.50.07 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel? Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.50.20 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel? Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.47.29 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel? Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.47.41 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel? Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.48.09 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel? Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.48.23 PM

OP
OP
Vaquero

Vaquero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi, in order to disassemble the steering wheel, you need to remove it. In order to remove it, you need to remove the airbag first. While I have had my steering wheels on and off many times, I don't usually recommend someone doing this unless they know what they are doing. It is not all that hard, but you need to make sure you follow all safety warnings.

Below are pages from the Mach-E service manual on removing the driver airbag and then removing the wheel. If you do get this done and want to see some photos of how to take the trim and buttons out of the steering wheel, let me know and I will take some photos. I have a spare steering wheel or two I can take it apart and shoot some photos. You basically just remove the trim and the buttons come up with it and they are mounted to the trim with small torx screws.

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.49.27 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.49.37 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.49.49 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.50.07 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.50.07 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.50.20 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.47.29 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.47.41 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.48.09 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 10.48.23 PM.jpg

Thank you very much for the information.

I don't want to remove the steering wheel. I just want to remove the buttons so I can put a new cover on the steering wheel and have it securely fastened with the buttons.

I am afraid of the airbag issue, so I would like to know if I can remove the buttons without removing the airbag.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Thank you very much for the information.

I don't want to remove the steering wheel. I just want to remove the buttons so I can put a new cover on the steering wheel and have it securely fastened with the buttons.

I am afraid of the airbag issue, so I would like to know if I can remove the buttons without removing the airbag.
Typically the fascia pieces you’re trying to remove are secured with screws that sit behind the airbag.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Typically the fascia pieces you’re trying to remove are secured with screws that sit behind the airbag.
Conner is correct. The reason I mentioned you having to remove the airbag is because you cannot remove the switches without doing that. YOU DO NOT have to remove the steering wheel though to get the switches out. I just included those instructions in case you wanted to.

Once the airbag is removed, you can easily just pull the entire switch/trim assembly out of the wheel. No screws need to be removed. The entire assembly is held in by clips. However if you want to disassemble the switches from the trim, then you have to remove torx screws to remove them.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Forgot to upload the photos of the switch/trim assembly when pulled out of the wheel in case you wanted to see what it looked like.

IMG_2833.jpeg

IMG_2834.jpeg

OP
OP
Vaquero

Vaquero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Forgot to upload the photos of the switch/trim assembly when pulled out of the wheel in case you wanted to see what it looked like.

Ford Mustang Mach-E do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel? IMG_2834

Ford Mustang Mach-E do you have a manual to disassemble the steering wheel? IMG_2834
To disconnect the airbag, is it advisable to disconnect the car from the 12v battery?

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To disconnect the airbag, is it advisable to disconnect the car from the 12v battery?
Yes, you must disconnect the 12v battery and let the car sit for at least 30 minutes. Make sure you leave the drivers window down in case you close the door and the car happens to be locked so that you can still get in. Then you can proceed with the instructions that I posted here: #2
Sponsored