First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Isn't the system from the inside mechanical? So even with a loss of power, you can still get out of the car. This just kicks the door ajar to make it easier to open from the outside.
Yep no worries. He's just trollin' while waiting for his "Prem 4X" Cybertruck.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Isn't the system from the inside mechanical? So even with a loss of power, you can still get out of the car. This just kicks the door ajar to make it easier to open from the outside.
With the kicker extended the door won’t close enough to catch the latch. The kicker needs to be retracted.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Yes, it's an important safety feature, you don't want to get trapped in the car if the battery catches fire, like that guy in his brand new Tesla. But it doesn't apply to closing the door, not being able to close the door isn't a safety problem unless that happens while driving on highway.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Because timing/serpentine belts/chains never screwed up or broke
Because starters/alternators/water pumps/thermostats never just failed
Because head gaskets never lost their seal
Because carburetors always work exactly as intended
Because doors never randomly opened during turns (as above)
No, I don't remember when cars "just worked" I remember when they had different issues.
I'm sure we can find some old cars with doors that don't close.

It's convenient how memory works right? The reason it's not worth working on your own car anymore is 1) they're way more complex and 2) they work way better now than in ye olden days.

I've worked on my old cars back in day far more than anything recent.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Apparently a Ford engineer is involved already.
I'm genuinely impressed with how often I hear people saying they spoke directly to an engineer at ford, or Ford sent an engineer to their house to look at the car, or the dealership has an engineer involved.

This isn't their first EV, but it's their first flagship EV and they're really working as fast as possible to reduce issues.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I'm sure we can find some old cars with doors that don't close.

It's convenient how memory works right? The reason it's not worth working on your own car anymore is 1) they're way more complex and 2) they work way better now than in ye olden days.

I've worked on my old cars back in day far more than anything recent.
What's the big deal, people used a piece of rope to keep the doors from opening. Recently I saw two guys driving with a mattress on the roof. All they had was a pair of hands holding it on each side. ?

OP
OP
imstriker

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
My dealership really did a great job with this. And they said numerous times how important this was to Ford and they would take care of it. I brought the car back home as it seems to be working now. They are still talking to Ford about if it needs more. For now, here is where we ended...

- The pulled codes from the car which indicated the door module was not talking to the rest of the modules.
- They manually cycled the door latch closed and open, the kicker then responded. After several times it went back to normal. It seems like it was just out of sync.
- They offered me a loaner but since it is working I went with not driving an Escape. They also took the time to show me how to cycle the latch with a screwdriver in case it happens again.
- Oh, and they did the PaaK update while they had it since I had requested it.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Because timing/serpentine belts/chains never screwed up or broke
Because starters/alternators/water pumps/thermostats never just failed
Because head gaskets never lost their seal
Because carburetors always work exactly as intended
Because doors never randomly opened during turns (as above)
No, I don't remember when cars "just worked" I remember when they had different issues.
Over the years I have had ALL of these issues and more! The worst one was a broken timing belt that resulted in a blown engine!!

OP
OP
imstriker

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
How do you do that?
Pretty simple, I just would not have thought about it. They popped up the latch in the door itself. Apparently when the door closes, the kicker pushes open slightly to create some pressure on it. By manually latching then unlatching several times, it eventually got back on sequence. After unlatching one time, it took about 10 seconds and then retracted.

When they went to show me, they got it out sequence again and it took about 3 tries to get it start working again.

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
What's the big deal, people used a piece of rope to keep the doors from opening. Recently I saw two guys driving with a mattress on the roof. All they had was a pair of hands holding it on each side. ?
Lol, I thought that only happened in Florida :p

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
Pretty simple, I just would not have thought about it. They popped up the latch in the door itself. Apparently when the door closes, the kicker pushes open slightly to create some pressure on it. By manually latching then unlatching several times, it eventually got back on sequence. After unlatching one time, it took about 10 seconds and then retracted.

When they went to show me, they got it out sequence again and it took about 3 tries to get it start working again.
:), incase you are interested in a video posted to this very thread: #3
Sponsored