Drive until empty

ckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Select AWD shadow black built 12/21
Country flag
Not having any Electrical background, can you explain the 7% hvb degradation?
Sure, the car says I've lost 7% battery capacity (due to odometer/age). So its full battery range is reduced, i.e. if 224 mile range new, then now it'll only get 208 mile range
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sinclair63

Sinclair63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Sure, the car says I've lost 7% battery capacity (due to odometer/age). So its full battery range is reduced, i.e. if 224 mile range new, then now it'll only get 208 mile range
Is that every recoverable or is it permanent damage?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Kudos to those brave enough to try this. Very reassuring that there is a small safety margin past 0.
Brave? LOL

As far as testing ICE vehicles, most fuel pumps are immersed in gas to keep them cool. Running below a few gallons left results in overheating the fuel pump...

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I just read an article about running a Lucid until it used all its battery energy and what they learned about the test.

really reallllllllly super bad idea....
you are risking permanent cell damage driving 'until it won't go'

OP
OP
Sinclair63

Sinclair63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
As it's understood now that fully depleting the battery is a very bad idea, and can result in permanent damage. Is there a safe percentage to drop to without any damage? 5%, less?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
As it's understood now that fully depleting the battery is a very bad idea, and can result in permanent damage. Is there a safe percentage to drop to without any damage? 5%, less?
You did warn us this was OCD related, but you are going to hate this answer-

It depends on a bunch of variables we will never understand including bad luck.

A battery is not like a gas tank where you can accurately measure how “full” it is.
Your % displayed is a calculated guess.

Ever use an electric tool until it stops?

Then wait 10 seconds and pull the trigger again and it magically works for a few seconds……. It’s not magic.

Now repeat that same experiment with the identical tool….. my guess is the amount of time it lasts will vary.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
But 0% is not really fully depleted, there is a safety factor built in before the cells would be damaged.

I ran my Bolt down to 3%, twice in one day on a road trip, it did reduce power once it hit 5%. Have never run my MME that low.

AEGinMD

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Ice Blue Silver (Nov 2022)
Occupation
government bureaucrat
Country flag
I saw some posts on the Forum a couple of months back writing of getting 20-40 miles "below zero" (don't recall the conditions). Good to know there's some give but I don't want to have to test the theory!

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
To me this is in the category of "interesting information" but anyone who actually understands EVs and how to operate them (and that they are not like ICE vehicles) would not care about this as they would never drive below 20% SOC. Trips must be planned out in advance to ensure this. That's just my opinion, of course, but I'll stand by it.

Steve92110

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Mach E
Country flag
I once went to 4 miles left & was really crapping myself 😳😳

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Bjorn Nyland does tests driving down to 0% SoC and pushing the cars until they cannot go any further, to see how they behave. He then recharges back just enough from a pair of EcoFlow batteries to get the car the last few km to a charger. Not something most of us should do, bit I am glad there are a few people testing the cars and demonstrating how they behave, so we know what to expect in a pinch.

Stu H

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT PE
Country flag
I drove to 1% yesterday on my select. The bms says 7% hvb degradation.

Screenshot_20231228_013757.jpg
Where do you guys get these cool charts? Not sure what they all mean, bit I'd like to see mine....

OP
OP
Sinclair63

Sinclair63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
anyone who actually understands EVs and how to operate them (and that they are not like ICE vehicles) would not care about this as they would never drive below 20% SOC.
DYohn,
I respect you opinion, but what I would offer is a response to all the new and novice EV owners is to share your knowledge and experience.
I come from an engineering background, Civil Engineer and registered general contractor in 6 states for over 30 years, but I have very little electrical experience. I know enough to be dangerous as my Elec PE friends say.
I can take apart an ICE engine and put it back together in a weekend. I use to amateur race our 1967 Shelby GT 500 at Road Atlanta back in the late 70's and early 80's in vintage races.
In my spare time I teach my stepson how to work on his motorcycle and my 65 Mustang with my older brother who is a Mechanical PE.
All that BS aside, my point is I would welcome questions from "Newbies", and never dismiss being inquisitive. Nothing brings me more joy at a car show when some young kid comes up and ask questions about one of my vintage cars. I'm not an expert, just have years of making mistakes and learning from them.
What we need in the EV culture is an open discussion to let more people understand the benefits of owning and EV. I didn't buy mine to save the world or thumb my nose at ICE guys. I still have Unleaded high octane running through my veins. The Mach E GTPE is a great car, but if I ask the grand kids which car they want to drive on Sat night to go get a burger, its the 65 Convertible hands down!
So share what you can and help out others get educated.
I know step off my soapbox.
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

2023.jpg