EA rates

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Updated 11/9/22.

Once you use up your 250kw of free charging, you will likely use EA chargers on trips. In September 2020, EA started switching from per minute to per kWh fees in states where they are allowed to do so. They are trying to change all states to per kWh, but that takes lobbying.

Their rates are as follows:

Per kWh - 43 cents, 31 cents for Pass+ Members plus tax
Per minute - 32 cents, 24 cents for Pass+ Members plus tax - there is a lower rate for vehicles that can only charge at 90kw, which is determined by what the vehicle communicates to EA. Therefore, we pay the higher rate. Once the session begins, the rate doesn't change.

Pass+ is $4 per month, and you can downgrade anytime, which is effective when your month ends. You can upgrade anytime, it takes effect immediately.

As an example of the difference, on a recent trip I drove 625 miles from SC to Michigan. Started with 100% from the hotel. All stops were per minute, except the last stop in O_io where I needed to charge a lot to get to 95%. Two stops in KY, one in O_io. The cost for the trip, not counting the fill at home afterwards, was $33.77 including tax. Had all 179kW been per kW, it would have cost $55.49 plus tax. Had it been per minute, it would have been $24.00 plus tax. That's a huge difference.

The following states are per minute states:

Alabama, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

These states currently have no EA chargers, and any state not listed is per kWh:

Alaska, Hawaii, and North Dakota.

As a forum member noted, if you're in a per minute state, you may not want to use your free charging up, because the effective rate per kWh at 24 cents per minute MAY be below your cost for electricity in your home (for example I pay 12.5 cents per kWh, so if the EA charger gives me 2kw in a minute, that's basically my rate). To not use P&C, turn it off in the FordPass app, then use your EA app to charge. You cannot change the setting if you have already plugged in.

If you notice an EA charger not providing you with fast enough charging, try moving to another charger. Sometimes you can go through several 350kw chargers getting slow charging, and find that the 150kw charger is providing over 100kw speed.

Report bad chargers via the FordApp (they say they added this ability to a recent release), the EA app, PlugShare, and/or call EA. Only by communicating issues will things improve.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored

Last edited:

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
As a forum member noted, if you're in a per minute state, you may not want to use your free charging up, because the effective rate per kWh at 24 cents per minute MAY be below your cost for electricity in your home (for example I pay 12.5 cents per kWh, so if the EA charger gives me 2kw in a minute, that's basically my rate). To not use P&C, turn it off in the FordPass app, then use your EA app to charge. You cannot change the setting if you have already plugged in.
2kWh in a minute* kW is the measure of energy flow while kWh is the actual energy stored.

To achieve that you'd need 120kW+ power flow which should be achievable for at least part of the charge.

Keep in mind high speed DCFC like that is harder on the battery pack life if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

Thanks for the info!

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Here’s a tip. If you don’t want to use P&C, but rather EA app, all you have to do is select the EA charger via the EA app before plugging in. Yes, I know this is counter to what the EA charger and/or app tell you to do, but it works. Select the unit on the app by swiping right. Then plug into that unit e voila! It works. You don’t have to disable P&C. You will be charged through EA At whatever rate plan you have with them.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
That $4 membership fee will be back in your pocket after your first 10-80% charge. I've almost recouped a full years membership so far. Been driving to Baltimore way too much lately

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just completed another trip. Want to reinforce how much more expensive EA is in states that charge by the kWh vs. by the minute.

First stop on trip was 36:09 minutes in Ohio. Got 56 kWh, EA charged me $17.36 plus tax. If I had paid by the minute, it would have been $8.68.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, I definitely found it was better to use the free kWh is states with charging by the kWh and pay when it is by the minute.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, I definitely found it was better to use the free kWh is states with charging by the kWh and pay when it is by the minute.
Unfortunately, we used up our free hours long ago. When we go on trips, we minimize charging in states that charge by the kWh where possible. Yesterday, it pained me to have to charge to 95% in Ohio to safely make the 200 miles trip from there home.

On a bright note, we drove from Asheville to Michigan yesterday. Started with a full charge from the hotel, and ended spending under $34 to drive 625 miles. Cost per mile about 5.5 cents.

If we had driven that in our F-150, and gas was $4.15 per gallon, and we got 19 mpg, that would have cost $136.51.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bump - updated states that charge by the kWh and by the minute, and the addition of Wyoming.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Philosophically it should charge by KWh.

Deleted member 9461

Updated 5/2/22. 5 states moved to per kWh charging, and Wyoming has EA chargers now.

Once you use up your 250kw of free charging, you will likely use EA chargers on trips. In September 2020, EA started switching from per minute to per kWh fees in states where they are allowed to do so. They are trying to change all states to per kWh, but that takes lobbying.

Their rates are as follows:

Per kWh - 43 cents, 31 cents for Pass+ Members plus tax
Per minute - 32 cents, 24 cents for Pass+ Members plus tax - there is a lower rate for vehicles that can only charge at 90kw, which is determined by what the vehicle communicates to EA. Therefore, we pay the higher rate. Once the session begins, the rate doesn't change.

Pass+ is $4 per month, and you can downgrade anytime, which is effective when your month ends. You can upgrade anytime, it takes effect immediately.

As an example of the difference, on a recent trip I drove 625 miles from SC to Michigan. Started with 100% from the hotel. All stops were per minute, except the last stop in O_io where I needed to charge a lot to get to 95%. Two stops in KY, one in O_io. The cost for the trip, not counting the fill at home afterwards, was $33.77 including tax. Had all 179kW been per kW, it would have cost $55.49 plus tax. Had it been per minute, it would have been $24.00 plus tax. That's a huge difference.

The following states are per minute states:

Alabama, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Wisconsin, Wyoming

These states are per kWh:

Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Colombia, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington

These states currently have no EA chargers:

Alaska, Hawaii, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming

If you notice an EA charger not providing you with fast enough charging, try moving to another charger. Sometimes you can go through several 350kw chargers getting slow charging, and find that the 150kw charger is providing over 100kw speed.

Report bad chargers via the FordApp (they say they added this ability to a recent release), the EA app, PlugShare, and/or call EA. Only by communicating issues will things improve.

Hope this helps.
Good write up
Sponsored