Electric Range Reduced message

HorseWithNoName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD + Confort Techology package
Country flag
I parked my car tonight, heard the horn signaling the walk-away lock, and visually checked that both mirrors were folded in.
My wife parks behind me about an hour later and calls me to let me know that all the lights in my car are on and that the "screen inside" was on as well.
I go to the garage, the lights are on including the puddle lights, both mirrors still folded in.
I had both my key fob and my phone with me so I don't know if I was able to open the car because of the key, the PAAK or if it was just sitting unlocked (with the mirrors folded in)
The car itself was not running so, I started it and the same message appeared on the screen behind the wheel and disappeared right away.
The strange thing is that my range was exactly what it was when I got home (not reduced to empty as mentioned in the notification).
How can the lights be left on the car if it's not running and locked?
I thought the walk-away lock would sut everything down...
I did look at my phone in the FordPass app, there was a notification (attached).
At first I thought it was an OTA update as the car does act strangely during or after an update, but there are no updates.
Does anybody know what could have happened?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electric Range Reduced message 1672806030307
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
You can leave the lights on by turning the headlamp control to ON. But they should turn themselves off after about 30 minutes. (Or 15 minutes? I can't remember. It's in the manual though.)

There is a known issue where the headlamp control might lose its setting and it then fail-safes to ON. If this happens, you can tell because the little light indicating the headlamp control position will not be lit until you turn the dial yourself. To fix this problem, just turn the dial back the Auto position or whatever is your normal preference. There is no permanent fix for this occasional issue, but Ford has said it's working on a replacement for that hardware module.

It's normal for the puddle lamps to turn on for about 20 seconds or so when you first approach the car with a key or PaaK, so nothing weird on that part.

The other thing you mentioned was that your wife saw the inside screen left on. That shouldn't happen. Is it possible you forgot to turn off the car after you parked and left it?

OP
OP
HorseWithNoName

HorseWithNoName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD + Confort Techology package
Country flag
I don’t think so, if the car had been left running,i couldn’t have heard the horn for the walk away lock.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
I don’t think so, if the car had been left running,i couldn’t have heard the horn for the walk away lock.
Mine honks when I exit it while running taking the PAAK with me.

Did you hear that honk or the lock confirmation honk? I assume they are a different honk pattern.

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
My kids leave the map lights on all the time (both of them love reading books). The other day we left on vacation, and our car sat at the airport parking lot for 10 days with the map lights on the entire time, illuminating the whole interior.

Our previous Acura, Volvo all had some basic logic programmed into their convenience features, whereas any map lights left on would still be turned off after 10-15 minutes once the vehicle is locked.

I wish Ford's engineers would have some basic common sense too.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My kids leave the map lights on all the time (both of them love reading books). The other day we left on vacation, and our car sat at the airport parking lot for 10 days with the map lights on the entire time, illuminating the whole interior.

Our previous Acura, Volvo all had some basic logic programmed into their convenience features, whereas any map lights left on would still be turned off after 10-15 minutes once the vehicle is locked.

I wish Ford's engineers would have some basic common sense too.
The lights turn off after a certain period. Then, when you come back to the car and open it, you see they are on again...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The warning was received because the headlights were on with the car off, which is a bug in the switch.

Rotate the knob to off, then to Auto.

It likely won't occur again for a long period of time.

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
The lights turn off after a certain period. Then, when you come back to the car and open it, you see they are on again...
Hmm, well, thank you for that insight! I'll try to pay closer attention!
Sponsored