Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I don't like how it dries up the great lakes and doesn't really address the lack of chargers in the U.P. of Michigan when it shows our future in the video.

On the plus side, they are addressing people who can't charge from home by population density, but they are not addressing the problem for long trips.
The UP is one big EV desert right now. The only DCFC option is off the main E-W travel routes that people care about. They REALLY need a station in Marquette; ideally another in Ironwood. That would make a trip through the UP (from Wisconsin to the Lower Peninsula) possible.
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The UP is one big EV desert right now. The only DCFC option is off the main E-W travel routes that people care about. They REALLY need a station in Marquette; ideally another in Ironwood. That would make a trip through the UP (from Wisconsin to the Lower Peninsula) possible.
Tesla has a open supercharger in Marquette. Esky may be on line today. Soo later this summer. Look at Redecharge network and they may be a sa ior. If they install dcfc.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
800 stations by the end of 2021, 1700 by the end of 2025. That's about what I would have expected anyway. In fact, I would have hoped for that by the end of 2024.

But overall still good. We find EA to be quite good. 19 successful EA charges so far on 4000 miles of road-tripping, with only a few quirks. Most importantly, you can nearly always count on getting a charge there (even if there's a hiccup). It's dependable, has consistent pricing with no surprises, open 24x7 with no restricted access, and is usually located in store lots with bathrooms and restaurants. Very effective design and roll-out so far. My only complaint is that they've focused too many installs in some cities so far when road-trip highway routes are more important.

But it's getting there.

islandboystan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
06 & 10 Prius, 15 Prius C, 09 CRV, MME ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hyperbole. I'll believe it once the stations are actually built.
I hear you bro. I don’t drive EV (Prius driver) yet. I recently was at the Punalu’u Bakery where they have a charging station. I believe it would cost like 51¢ per kWh of charging. Who does that? I know the savings is not as good as on the mainland but I would avoid stations all together. ?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I hear you bro. I don’t drive EV (Prius driver) yet. I recently was at the Punalu’u Bakery where they have a charging station. I believe it would cost like 51¢ per kWh of charging. Who does that? I know the savings is not as good as on the mainland but I would avoid stations all together. ?
You'd be surprised. The Greenlots Station behind KTA in Waimea is regularly occupied, mostly with Tesla's on the Chademo cable. I've used the Waimea DCFC just once to make sure the DCFC worked but that's it. Equivalent mileage wise it's still cheaper than gas, but that doesn't make it cheap. if you charge before 9 am it's $1 per kWh. Ouch.

I'll likely use the DCFC at Punalu`u on a trip down there just to add a bit of insurance for the climb back home, but it won't be an almost 0 to 80% charge. The climb from Hilo or the upper highway to Old Saddle Road averages about 1.7 to 2.1 miles per kWh. Luckily there's also the downhill. ;)

Brian707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mustang Mach E Premium AWD EXT
Country flag
Green Bay has zero dcfc chargers. The Wisconsin state hasn't spent a dime of vw money on chargers yet. This has to change.

Look who controls the state. The Northern half of Wisconsin is run by people stuck in the Eisenhauer era.

I go to NW Wisconsin from Chicago and can do stops in Madison and Eau Claire, luckily there is a level 2 Ford dealer in town. I will have to drop the Mach E off when they open the day prior to departure and pick up at closing time

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

Look who controls the state. The Northern half of Wisconsin is run by people stuck in the Eisenhauer era.

I go to NW Wisconsin from Chicago and can do stops in Madison and Eau Claire, luckily there is a level 2 Ford dealer in town. I will have to drop the Mach E off when they open the day prior to departure and pick up at closing time
That is a laughable statement when Electrify America has a station in Eau Claire.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
It's not just "doubling", it's actually "WORKING"! at least from the stories people tell about charging troubles here and online reviews and blogs. Long way to go.

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes! They absolutely need stations in Wausau and Green Bay...probably another in Oshkosh.
Im right near Oshkosh.

I would like to see EA put stations in the following locations in WI: Oshkosh, Green Bay, Wausau, Minocqua, Door county somewhere. These are all located on highly travelled routes to popular destinations in the state.

I’m still scratching my head as to why Tomah has a station. WI is not very EV friendly for long distance traveling at the moment.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's not just "doubling", it's actually "WORKING"! at least from the stories people tell about charging troubles here and online reviews and blogs. Long way to go.
We've experienced very few problems. Hasn't been entirely flawless at every station, but we've always been able to get a charge every time we've needed one at EA (19 times so far at over a dozen stations). And most have been flawless.

I tend to think we hear about the times people have a problem 100x more than we do the successful ones.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
We've experienced very few problems. Hasn't been entirely flawless at every station, but we've always been able to get a charge every time we've needed one at EA (19 times so far at over a dozen stations). And most have been flawless.

I tend to think we hear about the times people have a problem 100x more than we do the successful ones.
It's another one of those anecdata things. My worst experience with EA was actually the first time I tried to L3 charge. The charger faulted as soon as I plugged it in. I reseated it once (same charger), and it worked flawlessly after that. Every other L3 charge we've done (mostly EA with a couple of Charge Points) has worked correctly the first time.

I know it's not perfect for everybody, but I continue to think the reports are skewed because people don't post comments online when stuff works as expected. Maybe I'm just lucky, I dunno.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's another one of those anecdata things. My worst experience with EA was actually the first time I tried to L3 charge. The charger faulted as soon as I plugged it in. I reseated it once (same charger), and it worked flawlessly after that. Every other L3 charge we've done (mostly EA with a couple of Charge Points) has worked correctly the first time.

I know it's not perfect for everybody, but I continue to think the reports are skewed because people don't post comments online when stuff works as expected. Maybe I'm just lucky, I dunno.
Yep. And while I get that the infrequent hiccups are annoying (having to re-plug in, or even call for a remote start, etc), they get outsized criticism IMO. We're still in the early stages of all this and there's gonna be some growing pains. As long as we can dependably get a charge, that's what really counts. So far I've never failed to get a charge. My worst experience wasted an extra hour (30 minutes trying 3 different chargers, that all required remote starts, and another 30 because they all max'd out at 41 kW). But 90% of my EA charges have gone smoothly. Next year that'll probably improve to 95%. It's gonna improve year by year.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Lets all remember, we don't need EA to solve all of our problems. I WANT other coast-to-coast networks to install as many as they can and compete for our business.

Competition keeps runaway pricing in check. They are, after all, in business to make money.

That's why Tesla will have to open it's superchargers to all other makes. They don't want to be left out of an exploding market.

I'm not worried about the future of stations. I am worried that the current cost difference between gasoline vs electricity will narrow as investors demand higher returns on billions of dollars of investments.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Lets all remember, we don't need EA to solve all of our problems. I WANT other coast-to-coast networks to install as many as they can and compete for our business.

Competition keeps runaway pricing in check. They are, after all, in business to make money.

That's why Tesla will have to open it's superchargers to all other makes. They don't want to be left out of an exploding market.

I'm not worried about the future of stations. I am worried that the current cost difference between gasoline vs electricity will narrow as investors demand higher returns on billions of dollars of investments.
Totally agree that we need competition (in every business). But so far no one (other than proprietary Tesla) is coming remotely close to EA's model for:

- Consistent and dependable pricing
- Consistent and dependable power levels
- Consistent and dependable access

That's where EA is way better for consumers than, say, ChargePoint, which requires pre-vetting of any one of their chargers you hope to use.

The other problem is charging is most certainly a money-losing operation. Especially now at low volume, but maybe long-term as well.
Sponsored