Elegant solution for phone charging annoyance in Mach-e, for iPhone users anyway!

PhillyYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium Extended
Country flag
Frustrated by the crappy wireless charging mat in the Mach-e, I set out to see if there were any aftermarket solutions. Couldn't find any, but the closest I found was a double MagSafe insert custom made for Rivians from a company called TWRAPS. I contacted the owner, Iliya, to ask if they could make one for the Mach-e. He was very enthusiastic about it and asked me if I would help him design and develop it. I'm happy to report that after a month or so of testing various prototypes, we've arrived at a really great solution. Basically all you have to do is remove the cheap rubber mat and drop in the TWRAP's charging plate. It's made from a thick, hard plastic, has not one but TWO MagSafe charging puck built in, plugs directly into the USB-C port without blocking the other USB-A port. It has a lower front to allow for the thick camera lenses on newer iPhones so your phone sits perfectly level. With the MagSafe connection, there's no phone sliding around and you can charge two phones at the same time! Big enough and spaced perfectly for any combination of regular size iPhones and Pro Max's. It fits securely, doesn't rock or move around. Very solid. Charges great. Have a look at my pics of the final product that's now in production. You can find it here if interested: https://twraps.com/products/magsafe-dual-wireless-charger-for-mustang-mach-e

IMG_9861D.JPG

IMG_9859D.JPG

IMG_9863D.JPG

IMG_9870D.JPG

IMG_9872D.JPG

IMG_9871D.JPG

IMG_9875D.JPG

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Frustrated by the crappy wireless charging mat in the Mach-e, I set out to see if there were any aftermarket solutions. Couldn't find any, but the closest I found was a double MagSafe insert custom made for Rivians from a company called TWRAPS. I contacted the owner, Iliya, to ask if they could make one for the Mach-e. He was very enthusiastic about it and asked me if I would help him design and develop it. I'm happy to report that after a month or so of testing various prototypes, we've arrived at a really great solution. Basically all you have to do is remove the cheap rubber mat and drop in the TWRAP's charging plate. It's made from a thick, hard plastic, has not one but TWO MagSafe charging puck built in, plugs directly into the USB-C port without blocking the other USB-A port. It has a lower front to allow for the thick camera lenses on newer iPhones so your phone sits perfectly level. With the MagSafe connection, there's no phone sliding around and you can charge two phones at the same time! Big enough and spaced perfectly for any combination of regular size iPhones and Pro Max's. It fits securely, doesn't rock or move around. Very solid. Charges great. Have a look at my pics of the final product that's now in production. You can find it here if interested: https://twraps.com/products/magsafe-dual-wireless-charger-for-mustang-mach-e

Ford Mustang Mach-E Elegant solution for phone charging annoyance in Mach-e, for iPhone users anyway! IMG_9875D.JPG

Ford Mustang Mach-E Elegant solution for phone charging annoyance in Mach-e, for iPhone users anyway! IMG_9875D.JPG

Can it give enough power off of one outlet to charge 2 phones, especially when the left one is used for car play.

callmeac

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Looks great. I know with the stock wireless charger, my iPhone would get HOT!

How is the temperature with this one?

twraps

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
ILIYA
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Any chance you’d make one that has just one MagSafe and the other half a storage cubby thing?
If enough many people request such an option, yes absolutely, but for now I prefer to keep it simple in terms of manufacturing (as we manufacture everything ourselves) and limit it to just one SKU.

twraps

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
ILIYA
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Looks great. I know with the stock wireless charger, my iPhone would get HOT!

How is the temperature with this one?
I haven't made measurements actually but we've been making & selling a similar product for Rivian for 3-4 months now, and so far no complaints. The pucks are the same, just the body is different.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Curious, being hard plastic and having nothing soft on the backside, does it rattle? Seems like that would be inevitable? Is there anyway to make it with that rubber like coating that you see on magsafe docks (not the charging pucks of course, just the rest).

twraps

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
ILIYA
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Curious, being hard plastic and having nothing soft on the backside, does it rattle? Seems like that would be inevitable?
Nope, no rattling :) It's a perfect fit, super snug. If it turns out that there are small variations in the fitment (I've seen this on Teslas) though I will start providing padding, but for the time being there doesn't appear to be any rattling at all (tested on 3 cars). Also it's pretty heavy, close to 2lbs, which helps.

BenMorganIO

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium ER eAWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Would this work with a Google Pixel 6?

OP
OP
PhillyYa

PhillyYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium Extended
Country flag
Curious, being hard plastic and having nothing soft on the backside, does it rattle? Seems like that would be inevitable? Is there anyway to make it with that rubber like coating that you see on magsafe docks (not the charging pucks of course, just the rest).
I can verify that it does not rattle. I've been driving around with the finished prototype and its very secure. Also, I'm not noticing my phone getting very hot. Not as hot as the built in charger anyway.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Great job! I ordered one.

But I have a question for @twraps : My iPhone 13 Pro Max is surely compatible, but I use a Tech-21 case that doesn't have the MagSafe ring on the back. Will the magnetic place holder still work? Or will I have to buy a MagSafe case?
Sponsored

Last edited: