Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Does anyone understand why the embargo in the first place? Why is 12/15 the "special" date? Seems kinda random.
From what I understand it was a COVID thing. Since they had to split up the press events, they wanted to give everybody time to get their reviews done.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
From what I understand it was a COVID thing. Since they had to split up the press events, they wanted to give everybody time to get their reviews done.
the press events were spread out over a longer period because of covid, but embargos in general are standard procedure

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
the press events were spread out over a longer period because of covid, but embargos in general are standard procedure
Usually people don't notice the embargo because people aren't so desperate to learn about the car! It's just the anticipation level (and admittedly covid delays) is at fever pitch. I'm going on YouTube at 6am tomorrow to see what's what.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Embargos are there to keep all of the writers/press/blogs equal in terms of writing reviews and publishing - eliminating the "first/exclusive". Also helps the company control the message and timing, as well as any corporate reponses. Finally, having everything drop at the same time creates huge buzz and pickup across multiple channels.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Usually people don't notice the embargo because people aren't so desperate to learn about the car! It's just the anticipation level (and admittedly covid delays) is at fever pitch. I'm going on YouTube at 6am tomorrow to see what's what.
Most people don't realize the embargo is a normal thing in the media world. They are so used to news being new, they don't think about how it's handled when it is planned in advance.

Ever wonder why all those movie reviews come out on Friday morning the day the movie premiere's? The reviewers all had sneak peeks and publish when the embargo is lifted. Same thing for new TV shows.

Scientific papers in major journals (Science, Nature) always come out online on the same day of the week, timed to the afternoon before the journal would normally arrive in US mailboxes. Press releases often go out a week before. Reporters read the releases, read (or skim) the papers, and call the scientists who were involved in the paper as well as some who were not. They pull together all their articles using a standard formula. This articles come out online at the exact time the papers go online. That's the embargo time.

Lots of stories, lots of products are written in advance and all come out at embargo time. Some "leaks" even have embargo times but that's another story.

Obituaries are the same way, sort of. Every major news service has obituary writers who write stories about famous people and even pick out pictures to run. They may update them from time to time. When the person dies, they pull up the story, add the information about how they died, add any new updates since the last time the story was refreshed and run the story. When famous people are known to be sick, they prep the stories for release.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Cool. I am excited for you guys. Looks like there is an extreme interest to hear what the reviewers have to say about the vehicle. I myself am much less interested. Just would like to know when my car might be here so I can start forming my own opinions. ?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Maybe that’s why there was a YouTube outage at 6am this morning. It was a practice run for all the Mach-E fans that will be flocking there tomorrow. :)
lol no that was purely a google issue

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Cool. I am excited for you guys. Looks like there is an extreme interest to hear what the reviewers have to say about the vehicle. I myself am much less interested. Just would like to know when my car might be here so I can start forming my own opinions. ?
OK, Nobody tell him the actual efficiency, charging curve, or other info!

Thopter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO
Country flag
Sooo ready to read something about how this thing actually drives.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
OK, Nobody tell him the actual efficiency, charging curve, or other info!
:)
Well, you can tell me the charge curve then. I wont understand it anyway. I dont know the charge curve for my current EV so I guess I dont know what I am missing. Ignorance can be bliss sometimes.
(Now there is a sentence that I thought would never come from me...)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
:)
Well, you can tell me the charge curve then. I wont understand it anyway. I dont know the charge curve for my current EV so I guess I dont know what I am missing. Ignorance can be bliss sometimes.
(Now there is a sentence that I thought would never come from me...)
I'll break the embargo. Ford can come after me.

The charge curve is such that if you're at C=0% at T=0%, you'll be at C=100% at T=100%.