JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I actually was just wondering about this last night. I noticed this logo on the glass at the bottom next to the iRR, and wondered if that meant it had defrosters in it?

20210222_121116.jpg
IRR is just infra red reflective glass (IRR) - no it has no electric heater elements.
IRR is better at preventing heat from getting into the car and helps keep the car cool - that is my understanding. And this technology can supposedly interfere with RF ID stick-on toll passess

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Are there any heating elements for the windshield wipers on the North American vehicles for people that have gotten their cars already?
I believe there is a heated area at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers park. My previous cars have had that for years, but I've never noticed it make much difference.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I suspect that heated windshield also blocks toll transponders due to metal in the glass?

Now, for whatever reason, Mach E glass in USA has issues in with transponders, and they need to be placed in the black dot areas to work. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ez-pass-transponder-interference.3463/
Yes, as I pointed out in the Consumer Reports quote. But it's pretty easy to leave a spot at the top for transponders to be mounted that doesn't have the heating elements in it.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Get a million of your friends to be willing to pay $1000 more a year in insurance, and you will have electrically heated windshields tomorrow...
Why would the insurance companies matter? Windshields aren't covered unless you pay extra anyway. I'd pay extra for the heated windshield in a heartbeat. It's kinda disappointing to know EU can have it but we're not worthy here in the US. :(

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Windshields are usually covered as part of comprehensive coverage.
Hmm... every quote I've gotten has asked whether you want glass coverage or not, similar to Standard or Broadform collision coverage. I have always chosen Comprehensive without glass coverage. Interesting.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Hmm... every quote I've gotten has asked whether you want glass coverage or not, similar to Standard or Broadform collision coverage. I have always chosen Comprehensive without glass coverage. Interesting.
My insurance also asks that. I believe they make it deliberately confusing/misleading.

When I choose no, I still get window coverage from the insurance. If I choose yes, glass-only damages become $0 deductible. My windshield glass only damage was covered under insurnace, with no premium impacts, even though I chose no.

Ask your insurance company to be sure.

Last edited:

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
My insurance also asks that. I believe they make it deliberately confusing/misleading.

When I choose no, I still get window coverage from the insurance. If I choose yes, glass-only damages become $0 deductible. My windshield glass only damage was covered under insurnace, with no premium impacts, even though I chose no.
Huh. I learn something new every day.

I still wish they'd give us the option for the heated windshield here, personally.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Why would the insurance companies matter? Windshields aren't covered unless you pay extra anyway. I'd pay extra for the heated windshield in a heartbeat. It's kinda disappointing to know EU can have it but we're not worthy here in the US. :(
Can't +1 this enough, sure being out in California the chances of me needing it are a lot less than back in my days in the UK but even in California the higher inland elevations get snow & ice and costal regions do get deep marine layers making for foggy conditions at times.

Those in the north america that have to deal with proper winters would benefit even more. I can understand the additional cost so just offer it as an option for those that want, the fact past ford owned companies such as as JLR & Volvo inherited the use of the heated screen from ford during ownership and offered them while on sale in the USA makes the decision more dumbfounding.

I can understand not wanting to offer the feature on a BEV due to potential impact on range, so I was curious to see if it would turn up on the Euro mach-e apparently it is not an issue, with half the nation dealing with a cold winter I am sure there are plenty of existing ford owners that would be liking this feature right about now seeing as it is something that European ford owners have had the use of for over 30 years.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
IRR is just infra red reflective glass (IRR) - no it has no electric heater elements.
IRR is better at preventing heat from getting into the car and helps keep the car cool - that is my understanding. And this technology can supposedly interfere with RF ID stick-on toll passess
I know the iRR isn't the heating. I meant the picture next to the iRR on there. It looks like a defrost icon. Why else would this be printed on the windshield?

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
I agree with you, as another Michigander. But maybe it varies by state.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It’s likely referring to the wiper park defrost.
Ahh ok. That makes sense too. I tried to see the lines in the windshield like someone posted but definitely didn't see them.