EV Arbitrage: Selling my Mach E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It wouldnā€™t be an Internet forum without arguing semantics. šŸ¤Ŗ

Again, he called it ā€œEV arbitrage.ā€ Both vehicles are ā€œEVsā€ so by the OPs definition, theyā€™re the same thing.

Without giving my resume, letā€™s just say that I know exactly what arbitrage is. Was just giving the OP some leeway because itā€™s his thread. Needless to say, we both understand the point he was making.

FWIW, plenty here have taken advantage of the nitpicky definition of arbitrage. Bought a Mach E at a discountā€¦.. then sold for an immediate profit. And we all of course pointed out itā€™s breaking the IRS rules for the tax credit, but people have done it anyways.
Sponsored

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I've put an order in for an i4 M50 (as a backup plan, not arbitrage) in case Ford cannot figure out how to provide me with reliable battery electronics by the fall.

I can put aside any other compromises (such as the excessive šŸ½ on the front of the BMW) because I expect a basic amount of reliability and safety from my car.

Reactions: RLW

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
I don't want to be a beta tester of a fairly new EV for a third time. So no i4 for me. If Ford does not address the HVBJB reliability I am considering moving to a plug-in hybrid that has been in production for a while, like the X5 45e or the volvo XC60 with the bigger battery.

Last edited:

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I don't want to be a beta tester of a fairly new EV for a third time. So no i4 for me. If Ford does not address the HVBJB reliability I am considering moving to a plug-in hybrid that has been in production for a while, like the X5 45e or the volvo XC60 with the bigger battery.
Yes these are some of my sad thoughts as well unfortunately these days.

There's no real commitment at this point on my part to actually purchasing the i4, but doesn't hurt to get some options in such a crazy supply-constrained car market.

Just in case my MME battery electronics decide to go šŸ’„ again or this never gets a part redesign.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
My 2021 with 9,300 miles generated offers ranging from 51,301 to 56,805 (Vroom, Carvana, CarGurus, then Driveway) so they're being consistent, although I should get more for substantially lower mileage. A Dallas auto broker offered me $58,000. Only be listed for a few days, I'm hoping to do a private sale for low $60s at least.
Tesla was offering more than $53k for my MME premium RWD SR with 8500 miles. That's almost $10k profit (tax would be cancelling each other as a trade in). But I haven't made mind whether I keep the MME for my daughter so didn't take the offer.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Tesla was offering more than $53k for my MME premium RWD SR with 8500 miles. That's almost $10k profit (tax would be cancelling each other as a trade in). But I haven't made mind whether I keep the MME for my daughter so didn't take the offer.
In some states, trading in a vehicle can save considerable taxes, up to the value of the trade. Depending on your tax rate, that can be a nice bump.

In Michigan, we're limited this year to a value of $8,000 for tax credit, i.e. $480. So trading gives us little benefit. My dealer didn't even give me an offer, because he knows I will get a lot more on my own either through a service, or privately.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
CarLotz has no locations in Michigan unfortunately.

As to Driveway parking on your driveway, if I sell to them, once I get payment I will tell them that if they aren't picking it up, I will put it on the street, and it's likely to get towed.
Good advice; Iā€™ll be on the lookout for that. Driveway gave me the best offer, so Iā€™m hoping to close with them.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Although I wouldnā€™t consider BMW ownership ā€˜beta testingā€™. Theyā€™ve been manufacturing EVs for years and have a lot more experience than many other auto companies when it comes to this tech.

Wally5280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Premium EX AWD (Ordered)
Country flag
I have one better for you....

I ordered a MME in Oct, and I knew I had to have a new car this month. The MME was delayed and delayed again, it is now scheduled to be built mid July and delivery I am guessing in Sept.

So in March I knew the MME would not arrive on time and I picked up an EV6, and have really been enjoying it. I have seen a car like mine with twice as many miles go for 10k over MSRP.

I could end up with two EV tax credits, get paid more than what I paid for the EV6 to sell it.... I could end up with a new MME for a net price around 25-30k less than retail. (State of CO has a 2500 rebate to boot)
This is almost my exact situation. I ordered a Premium AWD ER on January 18th expecting it to to come in time to replace my car that had a lease ending in June. Then the chip shortage and delays started hitting and I placed an additional order for a CR1 on February 5 in order to hedge against the delays a bit since the delivery times on those were supposed be better.

While I was stewing wondering if Iā€™d have a car come June I decided to test drive the Ioniq 5 and EV6. I enjoyed them both but decided Iā€™d prefer the MME and was not willing to pay over MSRP for them. There was a Kia dealer by me that didnā€™t add market adjustments to their EV6s but of course didnā€™t have any on the lot. I had resorted to waiting on my MME and keeping my eyes peeled for EV6/Ioniq 5/MME on a lot. By some miracle, a week after test driving the EV6 the dealer texted and said someone walked away from their EV6 order and it was available for MSRP. I couldnā€™t believe it so jumped on it figuring Iā€™d drive it until the MME came in or just keep it if I decided I liked it that much. I also flipped my leased vehicle for a little extra profit since it had positive equity. Iā€™ve had the EV6 since March 7th and really enjoy it. Just a great EV all around.

So now that I had solved my lease end conundrum I quickly realized Iā€™d be in a pretty favorable position when it came time to trade in the EV6. I also live in Colorado so the $7500 paired with the $2500 from the state means Iā€™ll make a decent chunk of change when I swap out for the MME. With that knowledge I switched my CR1 order to a GT and lo and behold I got a build date of 6/13 (moved to 6/20) about a month after making the change to the order. My premium order still isnā€™t scheduled so not sure what Iā€™ll do about that. I actually prefer the lighter interior so I may go that route if it gets scheduled before my GT gets built.

I never intended to take advantage of the tax credits and high EV residual values like this but the MME delays and pure dumb luck have me in a great position. Having the EV6 to drive around in the mean time also makes the waiting a little easier to stomach.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Although I wouldnā€™t consider BMW ownership ā€˜beta testingā€™. Theyā€™ve been manufacturing EVs for years and have a lot more experience than many other auto companies when it comes to this tech.
i had a little i3 and it was a great car, I still think of it fondly. My issue with the i4 aside from the šŸ½ is that the back seats are really pretty small.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Same thing happened to me with Carvana. Because the MME is a high value car, you need to create an account and contact one of their appraisers. It goes through multiple appraisers before you get an official offer. It takes a couple of days to get the offer that way.
Last time I got a quote, maybe 2-3 months ago, they gave an instant quote and without having to create an account. Are they catching on to what's going on and want a piece of that pie?

Zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Rumson, NJ; Marco Island, FL; Amelia Island, FL
Vehicles
2023 Model S Plaid
Country flag
We test drove the i4 M50 and it was great. The biggest issue is we wanted a true crossover, hatchback style, and the need to seat 4 comfortably. The rear seat is quite small and thereā€™s the transmission tunnel. couple that with an aggressive roof line and the rear seat is quite limited. The trunk/hatch space is good abs there is no frunk.

really great driving dynamics and interior quality. If you arenā€™t toting people around itā€™s an outstanding car.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Last time I got a quote, maybe 2-3 months ago, they gave an instant quote and without having to create an account. Are they catching on to what's going on and want a piece of that pie?
Carvana never gave me a quote on the Mach-E, always wanting to do it offline. Same with KBB. Lack of data.

Not surprised that Carvana is lower than nearly everyone else given recent layoffs and bad financials.
Sponsored