Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Another comparison video by reviewers I’ve been watching for a while reaches the same conclusion we’re all getting used to hearing:

One does it all well while even adding in personality and a dose of handling capability.

One is a driving appliance.

One is a fast heap of shit. ?

Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Another comparison video by reviewers I’ve been watching for a while reaches the same conclusion we’re all getting used to hearing:

One does it all well while even adding in personality and a dose of handling capability.

One is a driving appliance.

One is a fast heap of shit. ?

What's the TL:DW on which one is a fast heap of shit?

jackienopay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered Mach-e GT
Country flag
He says that Ford came close to nailing it right out of the gate and it wins the competition;
Tesla has better software and range, but no personality and build quality, so it comes in second;
VW seems to be shit on the most and comes in third.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Never seen this channel before, thanks for the link, enjoyed their format.

The TLDW is they both give the Mach-E 1st while they are split on whether the MY or ID.4 should be 2nd or 3rd.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
I liked the video.

I've always thought the ID.4 was underrated. Comparing it to a MME or MY with the RWD version is kind of unfair. The AWD is much more competitive from a performance perspective and the RWD is really kind of a different thing entirely.

I test drove a Signature CX-5 when C19 started and if the ID.4 had been available I might have bought one, if only for the 33' turning radius. I'm not certain if the CX-5 really did anything better and it would have massively sucked with gas running nearly $5/gal. And that's it's thing, the ID.4 destroys conventional crossovers like the RAV4 and CRV.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I liked the video.

I've always thought the ID.4 was underrated. Comparing it to a MME or MY with the RWD version is kind of unfair. The AWD is much more competitive from a performance perspective and the RWD is really kind of a different thing entirely.

I test drove a Signature CX-5 when C19 started and if the ID.4 had been available I might have bought one, if only for the 33' turning radius. I'm not certain if the CX-5 really did anything better and it would have massively sucked with gas running nearly $5/gal. And that's it's thing, the ID.4 destroys conventional crossovers like the RAV4 and CRV.

I considered the ID.4, but coudn't live with no/limited 1-pedal driving, the infotainment system seems poorly thought out/even more laggy, no back window up/down buttons, no frunk. The car felt to me just not very well thought out for the things I considered deal breakers.

I agree any EV will destroy any ICE, but don't think that's a fair comparison (an ICE can get gas on longer trips and has no range concerns).

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Fair review overall, but when reviewers focus on opening the doors ...

I still don't understand the dislike of the Mach-E door handles (or lack thereof). Front doors, you press the button and in the reverse motion you'd use anyway to get your hand back to your body, you grab the handle to open -- it is almost the exact same effort as opening any car door in that respect. The rear door, they seem to think there's a finger-crushing hazard, but that door locks open once you press the button, so there's no danger of you pressing it closed again while your fingers are gripping it to open. It makes me wonder if they even tried to push the rear door closed immediately after pressing the button. Not the best way to open a door, but the "danger" is overblown.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fair review overall, but when reviewers focus on opening the doors ...

I still don't understand the dislike of the Mach-E door handles (or lack thereof). Front doors, you press the button and in the reverse motion you'd use anyway to get your hand back to your body, you grab the handle to open -- it is almost the exact same effort as opening any car door in that respect. The rear door, they seem to think there's a finger-crushing hazard, but that door locks open once you press the button, so there's no danger of you pressing it closed again while your fingers are gripping it to open. It makes me wonder if they even tried to push the rear door closed immediately after pressing the button. Not the best way to open a door, but the "danger" is overblown.
As someone who has had a sassy and angry 4-year-old slam the door closed immediately after you grabbed it from inside to open it, I can see the finger crushing hazard, almost had it happen. I still love the doors though.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I agree with all points having owned all three... plenty of it is preferences.

This quote is dead on about the "not as fine-tuned" braking of the Mach-E

The 1PD of the Mach-E is a bit rough because of how they implemented auto-hold + parking. This and the so call "Premium" seats are my only negatives.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
The thing about the Tesla software is that gap is "easier" to bridge than piss poor build quality. Software can be done from virtually anywhere - my firm has been doing it for 20+ years. So finding good software developers and usability experts is not as hard (IMHO) as finding experienced, quality factory workers to assemble a quality car.

The pool of software developers is global, the pool of assembly line talent is local.

Tesla. Putting the "K" in Kwality....

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Always thought our first electric car would be a Tesla and the Model Y was going to be the one but no regrets so far!! :)
Test drove a MY before settling on MME, software was excellent, but that's about it. There's a ton of Teslas around too, didn't feel special anymore. Family agreed as well. Kids preferred the MME.

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
As someone who has had a sassy and angry 4-year-old slam the door closed immediately after you grabbed it from inside to open it, I can see the finger crushing hazard, almost had it happen. I still love the doors though.
Same exact situation here just last weekend in our 4X. Also a 4 yr old. It’s a legit worry. I’m glad I still have quick reflexes because I had 2 fingers ready to be smashed.

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
The thing about the Tesla software is that gap is "easier" to bridge than piss poor build quality. Software can be done from virtually anywhere - my firm has been doing it for 20+ years. So finding good software developers and usability experts is not as hard (IMHO) as finding experienced, quality factory workers to assemble a quality car.

The pool of software developers is global, the pool of assembly line talent is local.

Tesla. Putting the "K" in Kwality....
Agreed. But, the production line workers aren’t really the issue at Tesla. It’s the design for manufacturability combined with the production and quality processes that are failing. That’s what happens when the edicts come down from Elon, who thinks he knows more about production than all of the legacy makers.
Sponsored