Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
I just picked up my car from a detailer (installing PPF) and he mentioned he had another MME owner complaining about excessive rusting on the front wheel axle, to the point he could feel some vibration.

I did look on mine and noticed some rust, this looks a lot for a 10-day-old car that was not driven on rain or snow yet. Have anyone noticed that on their MME?

Here is a picture from the driver's side axle.

side1.jpg

side2.jpg

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
There's no way in the world an axle could rust enough to cause it to be out of balance enough to notice. If you're worried about the aesthetics, strip the rust and paint the axle. The paint won't put it out of balance enough to notice either.

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
Steel will rust and those half shafts were probably built months before they were assembled into a vehicle. As long as the steel it is thick enough it will outlast the car. No point in Ford painting surfaces that 99% of people will never see if it has no real functional value. The problem with paint/powdercoating steel for corrosion is you still have to protect for the possible scenario of it getting damaged in the first mile on the road by a rock chip (especially for parts near the wheels). This means the base material still has be just as thick as is would if it had no paint at all so it doesn't fail at that chipped location. Therefore, the paint just becomes purely cosmetic at that point and that money could be better spent on something that more than 1% of customers would appreciate like having an extra usb port.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
1. that is not excessive, it's barely even any oxidation at all
2. just because you have had the car for 10 days doesn't mean it's 10 days old. I've had my car for 3 days but it was built in October
3. as someone else said, a decade of rust on that shaft would not cause it to wobble, but it won't get much worse than it is now

OP
OP
Luke

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
There's no way in the world an axle could rust enough to cause it to be out of balance enough to notice. If you're worried about the aesthetics, strip the rust and paint the axle. The paint won't put it out of balance enough to notice either.
I did not feel any difference myself. I also have not talk to the other MME owner. I was just going by the comments from the place I got the PPF done. I know that many parts will just show the yellow rust no mater what. Like most break disk. But they will still operate as per specs.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
I just picked up my car from a detailer (installing PPF) and he mentioned he had another MME owner complaining about excessive rusting on the front wheel axle, to the point he could feel some vibration.

I did look on mine and noticed some rust, this looks a lot for a 10-day-old car that was not driven on rain or snow yet. Have anyone noticed that on their MME?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Excessive rusting on front wheel axle side2

Ford Mustang Mach-E Excessive rusting on front wheel axle side2
That is normal oxidation. This is rust.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Excessive rusting on front wheel axle welding-on-rusty-metals

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Excessive rusting on front wheel axle welding-on-rusty-metals

COMPLETELY normal. Many parts on the underside with exposed steel quickly form a layer of "protective" surface rust, which starts forming immediately after they're manufactured.

You have nothing to worry about. It will rust there and then remain looking just like that for the life of the car. It's high strength steel, but if it were stainless, the price of that part would probably be 3x higher.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Is it red(ish)?
Any oxygen around?
Any exposed iron (black w/o oxygen)?
We would be dead
if it were not red

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag

scubauke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e wanta be
Country flag
related topic, rust on wheels. I have had he mach e for 2 months and have noted significant rust on the inside of the wheels. concerns? fixes?

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
related topic, rust on wheels. I have had he mach e for 2 months and have noted significant rust on the inside of the wheels. concerns? fixes?
Your MME wheels are aluminum. Aluminum does not rust. Perhaps some dust from the brakes.

scubauke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e wanta be
Country flag
here are some pictures. maybe from brakes?

20210629_183230.jpg

20210629_183158.jpg

20210629_183105.jpg