Extreme Heat and EVs

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
My car makes weird robot noises when unplugged sometimes, I don’t know if that’s the pump or something else.
Sponsored

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
High temps can affect battery life, but systems like the MMe that have active cooling help alleviate temperature issues, particularly when charging. Vehicles that don't can suffer from premature battery degradation, particularly with frequent DCFC use. Nissan even calls out in the Leaf owner's manual precautions to take when charging (especially DCFC) to avoid heat-related issues.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
High temps can affect battery life, but systems like the MMe that have active cooling help alleviate temperature issues, particularly when charging. Vehicles that don't can suffer from premature battery degradation, particularly with frequent DCFC use. Nissan even calls out in the Leaf owner's manual precautions to take when charging (especially DCFC) to avoid heat-related issues.
Here is an interesting article about fast charging and temperatures, the degradation can be very quick: https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2020/03/11/fast-charging-damages-electric-car-batteries

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
My friends were laughing at me when I paid big bucks to install a large AC unit when I bought my house. They said you might need cooling two days a year. Who is laughing now? ?
Same reaction when we built ours. At the time only three houses had air conditioning installed, including mine. It’s now 19 out of 20.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired engineer
Country flag
Yeah, except it's been 100F plus what...10 times in recorded history in Seattle? All time high in Seattle: 103. Forecast high for tomorrow: 114. I'm sure Portland is similar. Oh, and the humidity is still over 30% so...yeah...not exactly apples to apples.
Just an FYI. 90F at 90% has a heat stress of 117F (what it feels like). This is a typical summer day in the Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky/Illinois/Missouri areas. A not unusual summer day in Phoenix is 115F at 6%, which has a heat stress of 117F, the same as 90/90.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
They're probably feeling about as smug as those I passed a few weeks ago circling the empty gas stations like vultures. Not that the pipeline issue didn't affect me, but always good to have a plan B right?
A cyber attack could just as easily bring down the electrical grid. There goes our houses and our cars. Food for thought that we don't have diversification of out energy sources.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I can only post about events that happened while people were around, since there is plenty of actual physical evidence of what we are doing. I will ask our Divine Creator about the Earth's history when it is my time to report upstairs.
Cherry picking "facts" is the most popular sport of our age. Facts should never be in the way of a good belief system. ?

Lola2004

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda pilot
Occupation
Travel agent
Country flag
What happens when you put a Mach-E in the PNW Pressure Cooker during a heatwave?
20210627_124919.jpg

It demands AC!

20210627_125225.jpg

I don't blame it! I can cook food even in the shade outside my house!
We hit 114 in Turner Oregon yesterday and 111 today, we all need ac

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
A cyber attack could just as easily bring down the electrical grid. There goes our houses and our cars. Food for thought that we don't have diversification of out energy sources.
Oh no doubts there. I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect some sort of (successful) grid-based attack in the near future. Just have to find ways to insulate as much as possible (i.e.: non-grid tied solar w/ battery for example) and hope we can ride out the storm before things become unrecoverable.

OP
OP
TruWrecks

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a rolling 88 kWh battery outside my house I can spend a day or two inside. It would be nice if I could use that as a battery backup for my house. :cool:

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Tilapia!?! That's heathen speak in the PNW! It's Salmon or Death in these parts. And, yes, you can make poached salmon in a hot car. .... Oh, maybe I'll have salmon for dinner.....
Hahaha you guys need to try the glass roof, that is a griddle right there and non stick too. Easy peasy. ?

OP
OP
TruWrecks

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hahaha you guys need to try the glass roof, that is a griddle right there and non stick too. Easy peasy. ?
I might have to put some foil and a portable grill on the glass roof and toss a few burgers on it tonight.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Extreme Heat and EVs TheDallesHeat.JPG

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I wonder if it is using a less aggressive cooling strategy when not plugged in. I'm assuming just the coolant pumps running would be hard to notice if you weren't right by the car. ???
I reduced my home charge rate to 24A@240V. With this, I can hear some quiet humming and feel some mild vibration if I put my hand on the hood while it's charging overnight.

This is the minimum bar I was hoping for while the car is sweating it outside in the giant sun baked parking lot at work. But instead, I hear/feel nothing happening.
Sponsored