Don_23805

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Prem MME DMG AWD Ex Batt
Country flag
The other day I ran the system down to around 15% charge before getting home. Plugged in the charging cable, but didn't see the familiar blue charging indicator. Came back a few hours later. Pressed button by charge socket. No lights. Checked the wattmeter feeding the (comes-with) charger . . . zero watts. Unplugging MME charging cable and re-plugging made no difference. Finally turned the 60 amp breaker off & back on. Charging started right up and is fine now. This is the 3rd time this has happened (don't recall battery percentage other two times). Is this common? Not a "loose plug issue". I'm hard-wired.
TIA
Don
Sponsored

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
The other day I ran the system down to around 15% charge before getting home. Plugged in the charging cable, but didn't see the familiar blue charging indicator. Came back a few hours later. Pressed button by charge socket. No lights. Checked the wattmeter feeding the (comes-with) charger . . . zero watts. Unplugging MME charging cable and re-plugging made no difference. Finally turned the 60 amp breaker off & back on. Charging started right up and is fine now. This is the 3rd time this has happened (don't recall battery percentage other two times). Is this common? Not a "loose plug issue". I'm hard-wired.
TIA
Don
I can't say that I have every experienced this before, but it's definitely not normal. It could be a faulty charger or a loose connection? What charger do you have?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Sounds like an EVSE issue.

OP
OP

Don_23805

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's the charger that comes with the MME, and no loose connections.

OP
OP

Don_23805

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
EVSE ???

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment

2 Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) provides for the safe transfer of energy between the electric utility power and the EV. EVSE includes EV charge cords, charge stands (residential or public), attachment plugs, vehicle connectors, and protection.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
An EVSE is what is commonly and erroneously called a “Charger”.
Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.

Are you talking about the light on the car or the charger? Your original post seemed to imply you had a charger with a watt meter, which would not be the one that comes with the car. You also mentioned 60A breaker which isn’t right for a circuit supplying a receptacle outlet compatible with the Ford Mobile Charger.

OP
OP

Don_23805

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanx. So in this case it's the Ford "charge adapter" that comes with the MME. Sounds like the solution is what I did . . . turn the breaker off & on again. Annoying, Ford !

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanx. So in this case it's the Ford "charge adapter" that comes with the MME. Sounds like the solution is what I did . . . turn the breaker off & on again. Annoying, Ford !
You shouldn’t have to do that. You might report it to your dealer and see about a warranty replacement.

OP
OP

Don_23805

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, I understand . . . the "charger" is actually in the car.
I was referring to the 5-segment light on the car. I had forgotten about the blue light on the EVSE. Never thought to check that. Will even have to search for that book.
The 60 amp circuit was rerouted from the strip heaters in the old house heat pump. It feeds the 50 amp range receptacle that the EVSE plugs into.

OP
OP

Don_23805

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I lied. But the plug is so buried that even the dog can't get at it. Which is why I also never think to look at the EVSE light.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
If it happens again, try unplugging the charger from the wall and plugging it back in. If the charger then starts up, it's a charger problem.

If that doesn't work, it might be a problem at the breaker, which would likely be a loose connection in the breaker box, which is something you would want to get fixed right away. I'd go so far as to recommend turning the breaker off and not using it until it's fixed.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
OP, I think you need to understand the box below the plug (called an EVSE) switches the power on an off to the cord. The cord isn't live all the time like a regular extension cord, the EVSE only switches on the power when the car is connected and requests it. So if there is a charging issue you need to check the EVSE as well as the car. The EVSE should be mounted where you can see the status lights on it.

The EVSE you have (Ford Mobile Charger) prone to failures so you probably want to think about installing a more expensive EVSE that's more reliable.

OP
OP

Don_23805

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP, I think you need to understand the box below the plug (called an EVSE) switches the power on an off to the cord. The cord isn't live all the time like a regular extension cord, the EVSE only switches on the power when the car is connected and requests it. So if there is a charging issue you need to check the EVSE as well as the car. The EVSE should be mounted where you can see the status lights on it.

The EVSE you have (Ford Mobile Charger) prone to failures so you probably want to think about installing a more expensive EVSE that's more reliable.
Yes, I've read up on the handshake protocols (while waiting 7 months for MME to arrive).
Since this is only the 3rd time this has happened since November, I'll just keep an eye on the blue light when I plug in . . and then try to remember to check the light on the EVSE.
Sponsored