Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Prem RWD, 1968 Mustang, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anybody know why this guy at 7:17 is having so many problems?

I don’t believe he had yet enabled or activated his plug and charge account in the FordPass app. Same thing happened to me the first time I tried it. It took about 60 seconds to figure out and resolve in the app by reading the instructions. Worked perfectly after that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don’t believe he had yet enabled or activated his plug and charge account in the FordPass app. Same thing happened to me the first time I tried it. It took about 60 seconds to figure out and resolve in the app by reading the instructions. Worked perfectly after that.
Yep. Have to go into the FP app and turn on Plug&Charge. I think it's off by default.

And while I'm not sure, I think maybe Connected Services and a credit card registered in the Ford account might need to be in place as well. I heard someone say there's a way around that, but that would be a normal thing to set up first. Gonna need a payment profile set up when the free 250 (or 500) kWh runs out anyway.

Although FWIW, I like using the EA app better, and leaving P&C turned off. It's faster, and it's currently needed to get the discounted EA Pass+ rates (until they get the Pass+ rates working with FP).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yep. Have to go into the FP app and turn on Plug&Charge. I think it's off by default.

And while I'm not sure, I think maybe Connected Services and a credit card registered in the Ford account might need to be in place as well. I heard someone say there's a way around that, but that would be a normal thing to set up first. Gonna need a payment profile set up when the free 250 (or 500) kWh runs out anyway.

Although FWIW, I like using the EA app better, and leaving P&C turned off. It's faster, and it's currently needed to get the discounted EA Pass+ rates (until they get the Pass+ rates working with FP).
exactly. you need to add a valid credit card to your ford wallet, enable connected services, and then enable P&C in the app.

All steps are outlined by @hybrid2bev here:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-enable-plug-charge-in-7-steps.3094/

Bodyshopguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GT/2020 BMW 750iM/60 Vette/12 Wrangler
Occupation
Collision Center(s) Owner
Country flag
I had a great experience with Electrify America... 150KW unit... Charged up 200 miles for $ 30.00... after driving it for about 1 hour and a half before charging... but, I was down to 23%... my understanding is... from a Tesla friend... run it down to nothing... it charges the fastest... seems to be true on this car too... as for the speed of charging on a 150KW unit... not sure... but, it might not be low enough or the batteries are just too hot... or the charging system is tapped out... no idea.... 23% is the lowest I've run it down too... The Mach E GTPE has been a great experience for me....

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had a great experience with Electrify America... 150KW unit... Charged up 200 miles for $ 30.00... after driving it for about 1 hour and a half before charging... but, I was down to 23%... my understanding is... from a Tesla friend... run it down to nothing... it charges the fastest... seems to be true on this car too... as for the speed of charging on a 150KW unit... not sure... but, it might not be low enough or the batteries are just too hot... or the charging system is tapped out... no idea.... 23% is the lowest I've run it down too... The Mach E GTPE has been a great experience for me....
The car does charge a little faster the more empty it is, but unlike some EVs, there's not much difference in the Mach-E. For instance, charging from 10% to 60% only saves maybe 3-4 minutes as versus charging from 30% to 80%.

Personally I prefer to just charge it up to 80% and keep some extra safety buffer just in case. That's worth more than 3-4 minutes to me.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Don’t run it down to nothing unless you have to. Running the battery below about 20% SOC is Hard on the battery.

gbabes66

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for MME, Premium AWD, ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I stopped by a set of 4 Electrify America chargers and 6 Tesla fast chargers. There was a Tesla there and it was charging at the EA charger not the tesla fast charge. He said the EA was cheaper.
Sponsored