FML! Almost sick about it!

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
garage is on other side of the wall where I work on the computer. I wasn’t near it. I did have the fob in my pocket. Personally I think it just got pressed in my pocket
That is certainly the most likely scenario. One can roll down all windows on Honda vehicles (and fully open the moonroof if so equipped) via a key fob by the combination of a short press on the unlock button followed by a long press. One Monday morning as I was leaving for work I realized all windows as well as the moonroof were fully open, for who knows how long - I had not driven the car since Saturday - fortunately it did not rain that weekend. A few months later the same thing happened while the car was inside my garage, and it rained heavily that day. One would think the chance of triggering that two-press sequence by some random movements in someone's pocket is extremely low, but the probability is not zero and it happened to me twice in the same year. After the second occurrence I made sure that I always removed the key fob from my pocket upon entering the house. Haven't had that problem ever since.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
First thing I did as well. Now I’m curious, has this ever happened to people when the garage door is closed?

for those who don’t know how to adjust the opening: put the lift gate at the height you want it to always open to, then hold the power close button on the lift gate till you hear it beep.
I could be wrong, but I think almost everyone who has reported damage from this has had it happen while the garage door is closed. People keep suggesting to adjust the hatch opening height, but that won't help if the closed garage door is only a few inches from the back of your car.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have had 100% PAAK... as long as I 'force stop' it after I park, and fire it back up on approach. It takes about 20 seconds to wake up and re-connect, and usually I can time it so it sees me coming!

My Fob is wrapped in tinfoil.... hidden inside the car just in case.
Same with me 100% FOB even though it’s been challenging at times (many times) can’t open door, no key detected, I start driving and no key detected comes on, for longest time had to open back passenger door to open front door) wife laughs at me. I do keep my fob in a faraday bag hidden in car just in case. I had to use key pad more than a few times to get in the car

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Whaaat! That's awesome. When you say button on the inside, what button is that?
When you open trunk it opens high adjust it down manually and when you have it at the height you want touch the trunk button on the trunk and hold it it will beep and program to the lower height you have it set at

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I really hope this whole "trunk opening by itself" mess is addressed before I get my 2022.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
I just back mine in. The car is longer than the door is tall. Problem solved.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
First thing I did as well. Now I’m curious, has this ever happened to people when the garage door is closed?

for those who don’t know how to adjust the opening: put the lift gate at the height you want it to always open to, then hold the power close button on the lift gate till you hear it beep.
This works for every make and model car I've had with a power lift gate (MME, Acura, and Honda at least). I feel very fortunate that even at full open, my MME trunk doesn't hit the garage door on the way up after seeing these two instances happen.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I'm just putting pool noodles on the metal support beams of the garage door in case this happens for me. 20 bucks well spent.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
So I work from home. This means my car is in the garage while I work. Apparently at some point the fob in my pocket triggered my trunk to open.

some of you probably already know where this is going…

CD6DEC75-3BC0-4A69-AD51-E48E06B32962.jpeg

The trunk opened up against the backside of the garage door and I was left with this.

now I wait for the body shop to call and give me a quote on fixing it.

My wife on the other hand is finally able to drive my baby. She said given how much I baby this car she wasn’t gonna drive it until I got my first scratch on it.

learn from my experience and just park your car inside your living room and away from the garage door.
The horror :eek:

Guess no buffing that out :(

Sorry to see this, hope you are able to get it fixed quickly.

Many put padding on their door handle to lessen the probability of a den't / scratch.

I am going to do this today when I get home.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I just back mine in. The car is longer than the door is tall. Problem solved.
That's not an option in every garage, unfortunately.

This works for every make and model car I've had with a power lift gate (MME, Acura, and Honda at least).
There are a lot of car brands that don't allow adjusting the opening height at all, like Chrysler. My Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV didn't either. Luckily, neither of those (or the MME) hit the garage door when fully open. If the trunk opens while the garage door is closed, that will be a different story.

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
garage is on other side of the wall where I work on the computer. I wasn’t near it. I did have the fob in my pocket. Personally I think it just got pressed in my pocket
Time to start reversing in to your garage to face the other way! That's what I do now, especially cuz better position for where my charge outlet is. I hear you though, that reeeally sucks, and is something I have been really paranoid about. Used to happen with my Jeep GC, keyfob was very sensitive. I broke down and got one of those wooden key hook things mounted on wall, and hang my fobs there as soon as I'm home. Also did the pool noodle on some of the metal areas of garage door where it would make contact with trunk lid. This was esp helpful when I had the Jeep and couldn't set the trunk open height.

Funny that your wife will now drive the car. I have my first door ding on driver side (so painful every time I notice it) but she still won't drive it.

Used a foam fun noodle because my wife’s car at the time would hit if it opens all the way.
This!

fokkerlit

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e
Country flag
I was worried about the trunk randomly opening or my 4yo triggering the kick sensor. The kick sensor was turned off right away, and I always back my car into the garge. That way if it does open there is nothing behind it that it could hit. I know it's not and option for everyone but it works for me.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
For years I've had a carpet square adhered to my garage door to protect the door when the hatch opens. If this is your first SUV then you might be new to this. But I suggest you get a carpet square, some double sided tape and put it on the garage door.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Either my garage is higher than most or lots of people have low garage clearance. The hatch on my MME, fully open, is a few feet below the garage door when it's open and WAY lower than the rails when it's closed. I love the kick to open feature, use it all the time. Never tried using the phone or the fob to open it...

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Some hatchbacks let you control the height in which the hatchback lifts up does the mustang let you do that? That might save some folks from getting the Hatch damaged or more time to trigger the garage to open.
Sponsored