Ford Charger for Mach-E

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
I just realized the lev 2 chargers in the US are much slower than in Europe because of Type 1 vs Type 2 charging port (and the onboard AC charger that follows). Euro type 2 port supports 3-phases (yeah this again), so you get 3x32amp x240V=22kW speeds vs US 1x32amp x240V=7.7kW.
Sponsored

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Are we all confused yet ? WHY can't they make it the same. Just how many
sales will be lost with all auto makers by scarring off people. They must keep
it simple for everyone. And it really is without reading all that is posted.
EV's are coming like it or not.
Here is more confusion :

What kind of plugs are there for electric cars?

Type 1 plug
The type 1 plug is a single-phase plug which allows for charging power levels of up to 7.4 kW (230 V, 32 A). The standard is mainly used in car models from the Asian region, and is rare in Europe, which is why there are very few public type 1 charging stations.
Find the right charging station
typ1-stecker-468px.png

Type 2 plug
The triple-phase plug’s main area of distribution is Europe, and is considered to be the standard model. In private spaces, charging power levels of up to 22 kW are common, while charging power levels of up to 43 kW (400 V, 63 A, AC) can be used at public charging stations. Most public charging stations are equipped with a type 2 socket. All mode 3 charging cables can be used with this, and electric cars can be charged with both type 1 and type 2 plugs. All mode 3 cables on the sides of charging stations have so-called Mennekes plugs (type 2).
typ2-stecker-468px.png

Combination Plugs (Combined Charging System, or CCS)
The CCS plug is an enhanced version of the type 2 plug, with two additional power contacts for the purposes of quick charging, and supports AC and DC charging power levels (alternating and direct current charging power levels) of up to 170 kW. In practice, the value is usually around 50 kW.
css-combo-stecker-468px.png

CHAdeMO plug
This quick charging system was developed in Japan, and allows for charging capacities up to 50 kW at the appropriate public charging stations. The following manufacturers offer electric cars which are compatible with the CHAdeMO plug: BD Otomotive, Citroën, Honda, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Subaru, Tesla (with adaptor) and Toyota.
chademo-stecker-468px.png

Tesla Supercharger
For its supercharger, Tesla uses a modified version of the type 2 Mennekes plug. This allows for the Model S to recharge to 80% within 30 minutes. Tesla offers charging to its customers for free. To date it has not been possible for other makes of car to be charged with Tesla superchargers.
Learn more about charging a Tesla
tesla-supercharger-stecker-468px.png

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Are we all confused yet ? WHY can't they make it the same. Just how many
sales will be lost with all auto makers by scarring off people. They must keep
it simple for everyone. And it really is without reading all that is posted.
EV's are coming like it or not.
I don't disagree about the confusion, but the article you've copied that info from was intended for a European audience. North American hookups are different.

At home (or if you're lucky, at work), where you'll hopefully be doing the majority of your charging, you'll be using the J1772 connector. The car comes with the charging adapter for this. The other end of the adapter plugs into either of two standardized, North American wall receptacles.

During a road trip, you may also encounter the J1772 (or sometimes even a wall receptacle) just like at home. This will be at places like hotel parking lots, where you'll be parked overnight.

And if you need to charge up more quickly, you'll be looking for so called "DC Fast Chargers" aka CCS.

The only things you can't use are CHAdEMO or Tesla's Superchargers. CHAdeMO is only for older Japanese electrics (and the current Leaf and Teslas w/ an adapter). Fortunately, you'll nearly always see a J1772 or CCS cord whenever you see a CHAdeMO, so that's not really an issue.

Tesla currently restricts its Supercharger stations to its own vehicles.

This graphic shows J1772 above CCS, and what it looks like on the car that supports either them (Mustang Mach-E supports both).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Charger for Mach-E ccs2

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yeah it really isn't that confusing at all. The US seems to be standardizing on J1772 and DCFC for fast charging (even OEM's that were using Chademo are switching to DCFC).

Its simple: plug in your J1772 when at home, and when you want to fast charge plug in the DCFC.

Easy peasy.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Yes I agree. When Ford gives us the cord for charging we will need adapters that
will fit our choice of power supplies. I had these with my Tesla roadster. They plug
into the end of your 10 foot charging cord. These will not come with the Mach as
per cost and your personal needs. Below is what I am speaking about.
Each adapter is $35.00

1099345-00-C_0.jpg
View Details
Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

$35

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yes I agree. When Ford gives us the cord for charging we will need adapters that
will fit our choice of power supplies. I had these with my Tesla roadster. They plug
into the end of your 10 foot charging cord. These will not come with the Mach as
per cost and your personal needs. Below is what I am speaking about.
Each adapter is $35.00

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Charger for Mach-E 1099345-00-C_0
View Details
Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

$35
I have a similar setup to my Clipper Creek I keep in the trunk. It has a twist lock connector and I use adapters to go from that to others (mostly the campground plug).

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Yeah it really isn't that confusing at all. The US seems to be standardizing on J1772 and DCFC for fast charging (even OEM's that were using Chademo are switching to DCFC).

Its simple: plug in your J1772 when at home, and when you want to fast charge plug in the DCFC.

Easy peasy.
You are correct "easy peasy". The J1772 will plug into your car BUT the other end must
fit your power supply. That is why you need adaptors .

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
May not need every adaptor. Some are commonly used elsewhere.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Yes you will not need more than 2 and maybe 3. I had 120V 20 amp and 240v 4 wire 50 amp.
This is all very simple but many will be totally confused. Just plug in your car use the adapter
to fit power supply and use touch screen to dial in your charge.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I have a similar setup to my Clipper Creek I keep in the trunk. It has a twist lock connector and I use adapters to go from that to others (mostly the campground plug).
Just so everyone knows, adapters that you use on the plug that are non-OEM are usually a bad idea, they can cause thermal issues if you buy a cheaper one. The OEM adapters are usually the best bet.

What sorts of plugs does everyone use besides the 14-50 and 5-15?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And isn't the Ford Mobile Charger that comes with the Mach-e supposed to handle both 110v and 220v? So presumably it already includes an adapter.

I plan to have a 220v outlet installed in my garage, but we drive little enough on a daily basis that we can actually get by with 110v for a while. Supposedly the Mach-e charges at a slow 3 miles per hour at 110v. But that's 36 miles every 12 hours. Many days we do no more than a drive to the store and can charge 22 hours (66 miles).

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Clipper Creek is well respected. They are UL listed and I think Intertek registered, too.

Many of the other brands aren't UL or ETL listed. Especially what shows up on Amazon, along with the extension cords, third party Tesla adapters, etc. I'm planning to avoid that stuff.

Yes, the included charger comes with both 120V and 240V plugs.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Yes, the included charger comes with both 120V and 240V plugs.
Yes you are correct 120/240 "Plugs"

Now you have the plugs hanging out of your wall charger. THEN you will
need a 120 Volt or 240 Volt "receptacle" in your garage wall to plug
your charger into. And do we know what 240 Volt configuration and
amperage we will wire for?

Adapters will only be sold by Ford for Ford charging cords. If you use anything
else I am sure your warranty will be void.

In your trunk you should have a 10 foot cord to connect your adapter choice
you want to use. Be it at your dad's house ,your friends welder plug, or any
electric you can plug into.

You won't need a Ford wall charger if you have cord and adapters.
You have installed 240 Volt receptacle in wall so plug your cord into
that not your Ford charger.

I am sorry if it sounds confusing just read it slow and picture it in your mind.
And if we REALLY did know what the heck comes with the Mach we could
stop guessing and know how to correctly inform our friends on this Forum.

Last edited:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
And isn't the Ford Mobile Charger that comes with the Mach-e supposed to handle both 110v and 220v? So presumably it already includes an adapter.

I plan to have a 220v outlet installed in my garage, but we drive little enough on a daily basis that we can actually get by with 110v for a while. Supposedly the Mach-e charges at a slow 3 miles per hour at 110v. But that's 36 miles every 12 hours. Many days we do no more than a drive to the store and can charge 22 hours (66 miles).
My Cmax Energi charges at 4 mph-on 120v system- so I would expect the MAch E to match this especially since it has a 3.5x larger on board charger than the Cmax
Sponsored