Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
And isn't the Ford Mobile Charger that comes with the Mach-e supposed to handle both 110v and 220v? So presumably it already includes an adapter.

I plan to have a 220v outlet installed in my garage, but we drive little enough on a daily basis that we can actually get by with 110v for a while. Supposedly the Mach-e charges at a slow 3 miles per hour at 110v. But that's 36 miles every 12 hours. Many days we do no more than a drive to the store and can charge 22 hours (66 miles).
Do not do it until you know for sure the configuration and amperage.
And it's 240Volt not 220 Volt. LoL
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And it's 240Volt not 220 Volt. LoL
You must be a youngster. ;) 220v and 240v have been used interchangeably for decades. It's still common terminology to refer to it as 220v. In fact you'll still see it commonly stated that way on many appliances.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And do we know what 240 Volt configuration and
amperage we will wire for?
The included Ford Mobile Charger is rated at 32A. Most will probably install a 40A breaker, unless they want the ability to use it for a bigger charger or other tools.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
The included Ford Mobile Charger is rated at 32A. Most will probably install a 40A breaker, unless they want the ability to use it for a bigger charger or other tools.
40 Amp breaker is an oddball. # 10 awg cu. is good for 30Amp. # 8 awg cu. is good
for 50 Amp. Run # 8/4 copper and breaker it as per nameplate on charger.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
You must be a youngster. ;) 220v and 240v have been used interchangeably for decades. It's still common terminology to refer to it as 220v. In fact you'll still see it commonly stated that way on many appliances.
Nope not at all. I'm 68 and Retired IBEW Electrician. Yes people have spoken forever 220 Volt.
But you will not find it available anywhere to use. AHHH to be young again.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
40 Amp breaker is an oddball. # 10 awg cu. is good for 30Amp. # 8 awg cu. is good
for 50 Amp. Run # 8/4 copper and breaker it as per nameplate on charger.
#8 is OK for 50 amp if it is not jacketed; NM-B is typically rated to 60C so you would need #6 NM-B with a 50 amp breaker, would you not?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
My electrician quoted 6 awg, 50 amp breaker. For a run of about 20 feet.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
My electrician quoted 6 awg, 50 amp breaker. For a run of about 20 feet.
Yes he is correct. My 50 amp on #8 was THHN not jackted wire.
You are putting a range or dryer receptacle in you garage.
Yes run the #6 and you are good.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Yes he is correct. My 50 amp on #8 was THHN not jackted wire.
You are putting a range or dryer receptacle in you garage.
Yes run the #6 and you are good.
Yeah, my current plan is to mount a NEMA 14-50 to the ceiling in the middle of the garage. I think that will give me the most flexibility.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
And do we know what 240 Volt configuration and amperage we will wire for?
This was covered earlier in this thread by @1pt21Gigawatts, who works for the group that is designing the chargers. The mobile charger's max current is 32A and includes NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 plugs. If you want the max charge rate, you'll need a 240V circuit rated at 40A or greater, with a 14-50R receptacle. Ford says this will let you recover about 22 miles of range per hour.

Ford says the 5-15 plug will only recover about 3 miles of range per hour, on average. I'm guessing this "average" accounts for low temperature conditions. (The battery has more internal resistance when it's cold.) And, I think they're drawing way less than 12A to play it safe in case the circuit's shared with lights or door openers.

Adapters will only be sold by Ford for Ford charging cords. If you use anything else I am sure your warranty will be void.
I've got a circuit in my garage that I ran with 10/3 NM-B about 15 years ago. I'm only using it for 120V 20A receptacles. I plan to remove all but one of its outlets and change the receptacle to a NEMA 14-30R (as well as replacing the breaker) to use for charging the MME.

I'm hoping Ford will be selling adapters similar to what you showed earlier from Tesla, so that I can get the proper adapter from them for the mobile charger. I don't know if they're planning to offer them, yet. If not, I might get a Clipper Creek since they sell it with the correct plug, or I might have to replace my wiring.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yeah, my current plan is to mount a NEMA 14-50 to the ceiling in the middle of the garage. I think that will give me the most flexibility.
I'm thinking of doing the same. Not really for flexibility, but to keep the circuit length shorter. It's 85 feet from the house's main panel to the subpanel ("load center"?) that I installed in the garage... and the garage panel is at the opposite corner of the two-car space from where MME's charge port will be.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
When I had the plug for my EVSE(s) installed the electrician put the breakers on a new 2nd meter on the far side of the house, ran the wires through the basement ceiling into the garage, up the garage walls, over the ceiling and down to where the plug is--its about as far as possible you could run some wires in our house without going to the 2nd floor LOL.

Yup: The EVSE's are on their own meter which has an "Experimental EV" rate from the power company (basically dirt cheap to overnight charge).
Sponsored