JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Completely understood. If I wasn't having unrelated work being done that's going to add a circuit (and force a panel replacement), I wouldn't be thinking as hard about it - I could use my existing Level 2 charger I use with my Fusion Energi and live with a slower speed. But like I said I'm thinking if I have to have a bunch of expensive work done anyway, might as well have this incremental change done.
I would get the wiring done for the "bigger" circuit (80 amps) and include a 14-50 plug with a smaller breaker (if they will even let you do that--don't see why not). That way you can use the included charger in the car and if, in the future, you want to upgrade to something larger its a simple two step process: Hardwire the charger into the plug box and replace the breakers.

So basically: Set the circuit up for 40amps but gauge the wire for 80amps.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Another rare (but maybe less so in the future) situation possibly warranting a faster charger is if you have TOD (Time Of Day) electric rates that make it prudent to start your overnight charge later in the evening, thus shortening your overnight charge window. For instance, if your home electric rate drops at 10pm, you'd want to schedule the car charger to start then rather than when you get home after work.

Even then though, most people can probably still get 10 hours of charging in. And few need to do a complete 10-80% charge every night. But still something to consider in the equation.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I haven't asked recently, but a few years ago I called my local electric utility (Ohio Edison), saying "hey I have a plug-in hybrid, what should I know about billing and the like?" and the woman was like, "why are you calling us about this? go away." They aren't exactly the most forward-thinking organization. They are very good at causing regional blackouts, though. ;)
I have AEP Ohio. They may be nicer, but just about as helpful. Funny about First Energy as a guy I knew worked for them (he was a commodity salesman when I was buying power for the company I worked for) and he gave me my first ride in a Focus Electric years ago.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
@Calvin4000 found a wide variety of European outlet adapters for Ford's mobile charger:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...s-on-the-evolution-of-this-one.743/post-62581

They call them "home connectors" (e.g. Schuko 10A) and "high-intensity connectors" (blue sockets, e.g. 32A 3-pin for Great Britain and Ireland).

Very cool... To me, this means there is some signalling between the pigtail and the EVSE box so that it knows the proper limit to set itself to for a given outlet rating.

I guess there is still hope that a wide variety of North American adapters will be sold here:

https://accessories.ford.com/

But for now I can't find anything Mach-E related there.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I think 10-30 is missing the ground wire. If this is true, you might want to have it rewired. I'm not an electrician.... But I'd recommend checking in with one.

As for this particular EVSE, it's probably fine, but just be aware that it isn't tested or registered by Intertek or UL, which are the bodies approved to rate electrical devices for fire safety in North America.

Some of the brands that are registered/tested include Clipper Creek and Siemens. They won't have products with the plug type that you're looking for (grounding is required). But they're probably also more expensive.

If you end up having an electrician help with this, and depending on your specific situation, it may end up cheaper and better to rerun the circuit to be 50A. Then with a 14-50R receptacle, you'll be good to go with the charger included with the vehicle.

Last edited:

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I think 10-30 is missing the ground wire. If this is true, you might want to have it rewired. I'm not an electrician.... But I'd recommend checking in with one.

As for this particular EVSE, it's probably fine, but just be aware that it isn't tested or registered by Intertek or UL, which are the bodies approved to rate electrical devices for fire safety in North America.

Some of the brands that are registered/tested include Clipper Creek and Siemens. They have products with the plug type that you're looking for. But they're probably also more expensive.

If you end up having an electrician help with this, and depending on your specific situation, it may end up cheaper and better to rerun the circuit to be 50A. Then with a 14-50R receptacle, you'll be good to go with the charger included with the vehicle.
I agree.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
I would not use that recp. The plug you show has 2 hots and 1 neutral / ground combo.
Years ago they ran 3 wire runs to dryers and ranges. The 3rd wire was the neutral
and ground. That is no longer allowed. Do it right and run a 4 wire circuit.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For a bit of elaboration, here's Clipper Creek's explanation...

https://clippercreek.com/does-clippercreek-offer-an-evse-that-can-plug-into-a-nema-10-30-receptacle/

Does ClipperCreek Have an EVSE that Plugs into a NEMA 10-30 Outlet?
ClipperCreek does not manufacture any electric vehicle charging stations with the NEMA 10-30 plug as the corresponding receptacle (outlet) for this plug type is typically wired with a neutral wire as opposed to an earth ground and all of our models require an earth ground connection in order to operate properly. Additionally, when charging an electric vehicle the ground is passed through to the vehicle from the station for safety earth grounding during charging. If a neutral is used instead of a ground the neutral could generate a charge on the vehicle chassis, creating a potential safety hazard upon contact with the vehicle during or after charging. For these safety reasons we do not offer an EVSE with the NEMA 10-30 plug and it would not be advised to utilize any of our EVSEs with a NEMA 10-30 adapter.
If you have a NEMA 10-30 receptacle you would like to use for a ClipperCreek EVSE it would be recommended to have an electrician re-purpose the NEMA 10-30 receptacle into a NEMA 14-30 receptacle.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Before you get worried about installing a new circuit check first :
Can you see the wire going to it ?
Is it flat or round ?
If round it is most likely 10/3.
Shut OFF the breaker and remove recp cover.
You might find the ground in that box tied to neutral or metal box.
If so buy a 4 wire recp and install it.
This was very common to do for 30 amp dryer circuits.
You most likely will luck out and have what you need.

katumba1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Infinite Blue, 2018 Expedition
Country flag
Before you get worried about installing a new circuit check first :
Can you see the wire going to it ?
Is it flat or round ?
If round it is most likely 10/3.
Shut OFF the breaker and remove recp cover.
You might find the ground in that box tied to neutral or metal box.
If so buy a 4 wire recp and install it.
This was very common to do for 30 amp dryer circuits.
You most likely will luck out and have what you need.
I will certainly check it out. Exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you!