Ford Mustang Mach E review by Mustang collector: awesome new vehicle that tried to kill me 3 times!

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
So it's not real autopilot from what I gather?

It's adaptive CC, + lane keeping and road departure warning? Kinda like Honda Sense or Nissan Propilot?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

It's adaptive CC, + lane keeping and road departure warning? Kinda like Honda Sense or Nissan Propilot?
And the Ford will add hands-free in a few months via OTA.

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
Hello all! Newbie Mustang enthusiast here! I have 9 Mustangs and got my hands on a Mach E:

In this video, I get a Ford Mustang Mach E to try for 3 days. I surprise the wife with it! The Mach E might be her next vehicle. We take it on multiple test drives and film it inside and out. Included is footage I was shooting with the vehicle running on "autopilot" (Intelligent Cruise Control) when it tried to take me off-road into obstacles as well as running towards a handicapped person. This was our first time in a self driving vehicle... We loved the Mach E, but use the Intelligent Cruise Control with EXTREME CAUTION!

Frankly, this was irresponsible and dumb.

jloss

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Space White

It does a great job on well defined, normal roads. Any weird anomalies and the system doesn’t handle it so well. It does take some nerve... this was a very new experience for us. I could see using it on the freeway, but not elsewhere until it gets better programming.

“These people?” This was my wife and me experiencing a new vehicle with new tech. I am a diehard Mustang fan/collector... this is a new venture.
Disregard the negative comments. I appreciated your feedback and thought it was a great review!

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
Accurate.

These people are why we Have Frunk Dividers, and no Tow rating for the US. I do hope Ford Put "Do Not Put in Mouth" on the Key FOB so nobody chokes to death.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This was our first time in a self driving vehicle... We loved the Mach E, but use the Intelligent Cruise Control with EXTREME CAUTION!

Welcome to the forum! I watched your video; you have a kick-ass garage, by the way. Now you’re just going to need a new 240V outlet :)

Regarding lane keeping assist, Ford has apparently mapped out about 100,000 miles of roadway, which is primarily interstates and other major arterials. The Mach E will be more reliable on those roads, and less on others (you were probably on one of the unmapped roads). I’m sure that more roads will be mapped in the coming months/years.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag

Actually Tesla Autopilot isn't what many people would think of as autopilot. Tesla has led people to believe it is much more than it actually is. It is really just a glorified name for Intelligent Cruise Control. There is also Enhanced AutoPilot and Full Self Driving that cost significantly more but still aren't what many people would think of as autopilot and it is definitely not full self driving.

I 100% blame Tesla and Elon Musk for these misconceptions.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
A good video review should be clearly presented, factual and informative. Entertaining is optional, but it's not what I watch these videos for. It's supposed to be a review, right?

Most importantly, it should probably be no more than 20 minutes long max. When I saw more than an hour, I started surfing around through the video to see if I wanted to spend the time to watch the whole thing. After about a minute, I had my answer. No.

OP
OP

Goose17

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustangs: 89, 93, 94, 95, 96, 00, 04, 11, 20
Country flag
Welcome Tim. If you and your wife do decide to get one, I would recommend installing an EVSE, we have the Enel X Juicebox and it will charge our car from 20% to 90% easily over night. We have it set to stop charging at 90%, but could easily get to 100%.

I know you don't need AWD in Texas but you might want to also look at the Premium AWD Extended range. You get more horsepower and torque compared to the California Route 1 you were testing. It would feel more like a regular Mustang GT in terms of get up and go.

On the one pedal driving, it does take a second to get used to. However, I drive it like an electric golf cart. The accelerator is just the "go" pedal. For smooth transitions don't take your foot completely off of it. After owning my car for a week now, I never hit the brake and my stops are smooth as glass.

As mentioned above the driver assist is really meant for well defined roads. For example if we have snow on the road it doesn't work because it can't see the lane markers. Ford is planning to expand the "autonomous" ability on pre-mapped roads like major interstates so that it is more self driving. But once you figure out the rules of the road on driver assist it is super easy to use and a great asset on trips.

Again, welcome. And you have a great Mustang collection. I wish I would have kept all mine over the years.
Disregard the negative comments. I appreciated your feedback and thought it was a great review!
Welcome to the forum! I watched your video; you have a kick-ass garage, by the way. Now you’re just going to need a new 240V outlet :)

Regarding lane keeping assist, Ford has apparently mapped out about 100,000 miles of roadway, which is primarily interstates and other major arterials. The Mach E will be more reliable on those roads, and less on others (you were probably on one of the unmapped roads). I’m sure that more roads will be mapped in the coming months/years.
Appreciate the positive comments guys! The wife and I were impressed with the Mach E. It was a completely new experience though... not bad, just different! It’s a helluva vehicle for the price. The interface/tech is amazing! If we end up pulling the trigger on one, we might have to get the top (sexy) model.

This was our first time in a vehicle that had anything other than a standard cruise control. It was weird to watch it steer, accelerate and brake. That and the 1-pedal drive were the 2 biggest differences for us. With more exposure though, it would become more routine/normal.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
And the Ford will add hands-free in a few months via OTA.
This is Grossly Misleading as you will still Need Hands to drive the MachE! This is a dangerous Description that no doubt will almost Kill more people! Shamefull Ford!

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is Grossly Misleading as you will still Need Hands to drive the MachE! This is a dangerous Description that no doubt will almost Kill more people! Shamefull Ford!
I don't think Ford is being misleading here. "Hands-free" will still require the driver's attention (eyes on road), and I don't think there's anything wrong with being able to take your hands off the wheel while on a long highway drive, as long as you're watching the road. This isn't being advertised as autopilot or autonomous driving.
Sponsored