Ford Range Increase Coming?

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Not true. I own both. Yes, the driving controls are similar, which is a good thing. The Y has far more space, more ground clearance, looks like an SUV compared to the 3 which looks like a car. The Y is more comfortable and quieter, the 3 is more a low slung sports coupe. If I want to drive on the beach and haul a couple of surf boards and a ton of kiteboarding equipment, I take the Y. If we want to tear up some twisty roads and hit the winerys we take the 3.

Why am I looking at the Mach-e? Because just maybe it can do both and look better doing it. We'll see.
I'm pretty sure that 75% comment was referencing that the cars share 75% of the same parts, obviously a SUV and car have different usefulness.
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I own a Model Y performance which was rated at 280 miles range when I bought it. that equates to 270 wh/mi.

Am I getting rated range on average? Of course not. I drive with a lead foot and I drive to the mountains, I drive on the beach, I haul ass through twisty corners. And yet my average efficiency after over 7000 miles is 91% of rated range. That is by far, hands down, the closest any car I have ever owned has come to rated range.

I drive from Camas, WA to Stevenson, WA on a regular basis. The road is through the entrance to the Columbia River Gorge and is VERY hilly and windy. Highway 14 is heavily patrolled so I set the cruise at 60 mph--55 is the speed limit. I drive a few miles in town to get there with a few stoplights, but the vast majority of the drive is two lane highway with no stop signs or traffic lights. I regularly exceed the rated EPA range on this drive by 12%.

So no, I do not find Tesla's range numbers misleading. One Caveat: I run my tire pressure at 45 psi. Many run it at 39 psi which results in a substantial range penalty. 42 psi is recommended, but I find 45 psi to result in a firmer, more controlled ride while improving efficiency.
20201016_105751.jpg
Stevenson WA.jpg
What I mean is people see a 350-mile range and think they can get into that tesla with the aircon on or heat and get 350 miles. The normal person does not understand or having the help to understand that range on Telsa website is not what you get each day driving. Not to mention the cold weather effects.

I know if my parents saw 350 miles of range and my father would be taking it back when he didn't get 350 out of it. It's misleading to people that don't know.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I think the scary part of all this is that I would guess that electric cars are going to mean that sedans are coming back, which puts ford in a weird spot. There’s never going to be a world in electrification where sedans are not more efficient. The form factor is inherently more aerodynamic.

If we end up getting batteries that have such high energy density that makes it irrelevant, I can maybe understand it where SUVs are dominant, But for a lot of fleet applications and in a world fighting climate change and that doesn’t have an overabundance of electricity, the efficiency of the sedans are going to be important both for range and overall electricity consumption, meaning they have a real place. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford ends up having to revert and make a sedan EV at some point.
Yep, I've said pretty much the same -- because they're having to really stretch to get acceptable range out of batteries today, it requires squeezing all they can out of aerodynamics. Which means lower, sleeker wing-like shapes. Which means sedans and low hatches.

But OTOH...

(1) I expect battery energy density will improve enough in 5-10 years so that compromise won't have to be made (as much), and
(2) US consumers have fallen in love with taller, roomier SUV/crossover shapes, and most will simply buy ICE/PHEV if they can't get that in BEV. That's why I think PHEV will be big in the US this decade, maybe bigger than BEV, until battery energy density gets far better and makes it moot.

Plus, aerodynamics really only make a lot of difference at high speeds.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
What I mean is people see a 350-mile range and think they can get into that tesla with the aircon on or heat and get 350 miles. The normal person does not understand or having the help to understand that range on Telsa website is not what you get each day driving. Not to mention the cold weather effects.

I know if my parents saw 350 miles of range and my father would be taking it back when he didn't get 350 out of it. It's misleading to people that don't know.
That's one of the reasons to opt for the ER battery even if commuting short distances. I want to be able to use the heat and a/c whenever I want to without feeling like I can't. I don't necessarily want to have to plug in everyday, nor, do I want to have range anxiety.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I know the public can only see what is in front of them. Ford never totally got out of car manufacturing. The problem is the profit margins on cars and the general public is not buying them.
Trucks and SUV sales are going nuts right now.
A truck might not be what you want, or a suv. that is true. But the market as a "WHOLE" is not for buying a car.
Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, and on and on are in deep trouble now they leaned on the car market for too long and the window is not there. Now if the demand for cars comes back and it shows there is a profit in it. Then yes they will bring them back. Already in talks to bring two new cars into the fold by 2025.
This.

Until the MME came around we were not in the market for anything resembling a car. Our go-to vehicle for hauling visitors around pre-pandemic? A 2020 4 door F-150 Raptor. Our last sedan was in the 1990's. Ford knew what they were doing. The MME is about as close to a sedan as many will even consider IMO. And it's not a sedan.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
I disagree. It's one thing to make valid points during civil discourse, it's quite another to stubbornly keep repeating the same thing over and over again long after its relevance or accuracy have been addressed. In thread after thread. ad nauseam.

I am perfectly willing to understand someone else's viewpoint, provided they give me the same courtesy. For example, I understand why a particular member believes that there is no place in the market for anything other than EV's based in his particular experience. He already undertook the journey from ICE to hybrid to EV, and is now perfectly happy accepting the compromises of long range travel with an EV. Yet he is unwilling to grant the same journey to anyone else, nor to accept that other's different choices are just as valid. In the end he may be right, but I'd like the opportunity to learn that for myself without my intelligence or judgement being questioned.

In that context I recognize the futility of expressing a different viewpoint with him, and simply refuse to waste time and effort engaging in a one-way conversation. So, I don't. In the end I feel less aggravation and stress, and the result is exactly the same.
Point taken. I don't suffer fools well--not directed at you even a little bit--and I can be an ass when dealing with them. I reply when additional comments are directed at me; from now on I'll just reply with RTFT--read the F&^%ing thread.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
That's one of the reasons to opt for the ER battery even if commuting short distances. I want to be able to use the heat and a/c whenever I want to without feeling like I can't. I don't necessarily want to have to plug in everyday, nor, do I want to have range anxiety.
ICE vehicles suffer the same hit to mpg when doing all these things too. In addition, there is the less efficient winter blend of gas. I think people generally understand this universally. But like tru mentioned, it's going to take a long time for charge station parity to get where it needs to be. We'll see.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag

Agreed. People don't understand the big hit an EV can take for environmental and other conditions. With an ICE, it never really mattered, just buy more gas. With an EV it's a bigger deal. Like tire pressure: nobody in an ICE thinks about it much yet it makes a big difference to range. It makes just as big a difference in an ICE as an EV, but again easier to fill up an ICE.

It will be nice when EVs have so much range it won't matter any more.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
I drive with a lead foot and I drive to the mountains, I drive on the beach, I haul ass through twisty corners. And yet my average efficiency after over 7000 miles is 91% of rated range. That is by far, hands down, the closest any car I have ever owned has come to rated range.
Your facts won't matter on this site ;) All the Tesla haters will post some link that shows terrible numbers....all while comparing it to the MME that we don't even have numbers on, or any real world tests.

I appreciate your detailed and fact based post though!

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
It will be nice when EVs have so much range it won't matter any more.
And/Or, "fast" universally available charging. (I'm guessing that may realistically be 10 years out)

Like many here have said, for most daily commuting and running about, a nightly or bi-nightly charge is probably fine. The "trips" are what you really need to plan out the stops and return. That is harder to not be concerned about still.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
I am glad the MME will get the rated range in the winter with the heat on....good to know. BTW, does your dad take his ICE car back if he does not get the rated EPA MPG? My dad does not, he understands driving style affects range (aka mileage) ;)
Sponsored