Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
If your welder uses a NEMA 14-50 then yes. Otherwise you need to use an adapter or change the plug on the EVSE. NEMA 14-50 is common at RV parks so that's a good one to use for a portable cable.
Sponsored

theothertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I assume Ford will supply, for free, a 120/240V EVSE with the car but it charge at around 12 amps max. If you want to plug it into a 240 outlet, you'll need an adapter. Is that correct?

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I assume Ford will supply, for free, a 120/240V EVSE with the car but it charge at around 12 amps max. If you want to plug it into a 240 outlet, you'll need an adapter. Is that correct?
It is described as being native 240VAC with an adapter for 120VAC. It is not limited to 12A as is the GM EVSE. When plugged into 240VAC it is 32A. They say it charges at 3 miles per hour when plugged into 120VAC so it must be about 1.4 kWh @ 12A.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I made a 240VAC adapter for my GM EVSE from a dryer cord. The relays are rated for the voltage but the EVSE still tells the car it's on a 12A line. But, when plugged into 240VAC it charges at 6 miles per hour instead of 3 miles per hour. I use it for charging when visiting family because they have a NEMA 14-50 outlet for welding.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
A couple of questions regarding the Ford Connected Charging Station from a non-technical guy:

1.) This charging station will be hardwired in. How hard/expensive do you think it would be to get something like that removed if I decided in a few years to trade in my Mach E for something other than a Ford branded EV?

2.) Do we think power management be in the charging station or in the car itself? By that I mean, will we be able to program start/end times for charging (for those of us on variable pricing systems with our power companies) and be able to tell to stop charging once the battery reaches a certain percentage (I know Tesla recommends not going going above 80% charge on a daily basis)?

schmluss

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
A couple of questions regarding the Ford Connected Charging Station from a non-technical guy:

1.) This charging station will be hardwired in. How hard/expensive do you think it would be to get something like that removed if I decided in a few years to trade in my Mach E for something other than a Ford branded EV?

2.) Do we think power management be in the charging station or in the car itself? By that I mean, will we be able to program start/end times for charging (for those of us on variable pricing systems with our power companies) and be able to tell to stop charging once the battery reaches a certain percentage (I know Tesla recommends not going going above 80% charge on a daily basis)?
You don’t have to install the Ford charger. Any level 2 charger will work. When you get another EV it will most likely work with it as well. I have a Juicebox for my Kia Niro PHEV, and will use the same to charge my Mach E.

Typically this is done through the car’s interface. Most chargers are “dumb”. The Juicebox allows me to schedule charging, but I don’t use it.

Hot Runr Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Escape, 2019 Edge
Country flag
Chief Charlie,
I'm in a similar position, and decided to run 1" EMT conduit, which is way more than enough for the (2) #6 power and (1) #10 ground wires to be pulled thru easily. My run from box to garage is about 65'.

HRG

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
If I understand the previous entries correctly, having a Tesla Powerwall, or two, in the EVSE circuit will be just fine?

Our neighborhood has been subject to both somewhat lengthy power outages and Minnesota winter conditions. Further, my wife is high-risk for most types of cancer...

I want a power backup solution that does not includes fumes of generators.

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
The Bolt, its lease ends Mar 2021, just in time for a GT :)
My BoltEV lease ends in November 2020. Hopefully just in time for my Premier MACH-E but not if Ford doesn’t get all their info out and programs in place when order time comes around in the spring

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
If I understand the previous entries correctly, having a Tesla Powerwall, or two, in the EVSE circuit will be just fine?

Our neighborhood has been subject to both somewhat lengthy power outages and Minnesota winter conditions. Further, my wife is high-risk for most types of cancer...

I want a power backup solution that does not includes fumes of generators.
Tesla is not the only manufacturer for home battery supply. In any case, it likely would be wired to the main panel, not just the circuit for the EVSE. The battery supply is DC so an appropriate AC inverter would be necessary, something like what is applied for solar power. All of this would be much cleaner than a generator but much more expensive also.

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
Tesla is not the only manufacturer for home battery supply. In any case, it likely would be wired to the main panel, not just the circuit for the EVSE. The battery supply is DC so an appropriate AC inverter would be necessary, something like what is applied for solar power. All of this would be much cleaner than a generator but much more expensive also.
Thanks! Safeguarding my wife’s health is important.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
With regards to the included EVSE with the Mach-e. I think it's a mobile or maybe better referred to as portable variant. The portable EVSE charge cord is 32A and recommends a 40A circuit which is common to many dryer outlets or outlets at RV campgrounds.
The mobile charger will be standard, but the Connected Charge Station is available as an accessory and has some additional features, a different footprint, and a bit more power. Helps the you can also roll the cost of the box into the financing of the vehicle, as opposed to buying a dumb-EVSE from amazon.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Question...I just had a 50 amp breaker installed by my son in law the electrician. I have the 240 socket installed, the same as for a dryer. Will this work with the ford wall box that can be purchased through amazon????

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Question...I just had a 50 amp breaker installed by my son in law the electrician. I have the 240 socket installed, the same as for a dryer. Will this work with the ford wall box that can be purchased through amazon????

I believe it will however, you will not need the wall box if you got the 240V outlet now. Or if you prefer the much faster charge you are lucky since son in law is an electrician just ask him to connect the box up directly. Then you will get the I think they said 34 mile per hour instead of 22 miles charge with the 240V outlet.

But it also depends on how much you drive as well if just doing local then you will be fine with any charge set up. But is nice to have 15% battery when you go to bed then when you wake up its back to 80%.

Edit I have read mostly on Tesla forums that EV batteries like to be drained down as much as you possibly can so do not continuously just charge it if it has a decent about of charge left wait until it get really low then charge. IF doing local driving 1 charge will probably last about 3 days before having to plug it back in. But a plug in BEV is a happy BEV.

Got the saying from a Plugged in Tesla is a Happy Tesla lol

larryjwhite

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity
Country flag
I'm not sure but I think the Ford Wall box does not come with a plug. It is designed to be hardwired to a breaker in your power service box. Also, it can output 48 Amps which requires a 60 Amp breaker so you would have to turn down the output on the EVSE which kind of defeats part of the expense of getting the wall unit.
Sponsored