Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Right. Hence my original comment. Just use a 50A breaker until ready to swap to hard wired.
which would require an electrician, unless he feels handy - we're stuck in an infinite loop.....
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
which would require an electrician, unless he feels handy - we're stuck in an infinite loop.....
If an electrician installed the 60A breaker and 14-50 outlet, I'd be willing to bet that he could get him to come back and swap the breaker to 50A without charging him. All he'd have to do is point out that it was installed against code.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
I was just at the dealership this morning for something else but I did ask about this.
Earlier this week he received a memo stating these units would have limited availability beginning in January. He was asked to limit them to customers who are actually receiving cars in January. Same for Feb etc, until supply is more plentiful sometimes in the spring. The memo instructed dealers to delay their own orders so they might be available for those customers who are going to actually have cars delivered.
I got this email this morning saying it will now be delivered in January

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford's Connected Charge Station 1607724616519

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Well aren't you lucky! A dealer that actually communicates with their customers???

Pft - I've been trying to speak with mine for 2 weeks with no luck.
Yes. Overall I have been pleased with the communication.
For years I have been doing business with another dealer in town closer to my office for all our fleet needs and using a different Ford dealer close to my home for personal things.

I then gave San Tan Ford a try when I needed service on my Focus Electric because they were EV certified and I had just recently had a slightly negative experience with the dealer by my home. So far, San Tan Ford has been great to work with. Good communication. Fair business practices etc.

Since I felt they earned an opportunity for more business.....I recently placed a fleet order with them for 5 pickups. Their price was competitive and their Fleet Department has been equally good to work with so far.

Sometimes you can tell when you walk into a place with a good working environment and this seems like one of those places. As long as they do good by me then I'll do good by them.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Are you sure he put in a 60 amp breaker? If so, that's against code with a 14-50 plug since the plug is only rated at 50 amps. You want the breaker to be the first thing that pops (not the outlet).

If he installed 60A capable wire with a 50A breaker for now, that would be okay. And it would be simple to just swap the 50A breaker to a 60A when you're ready to hard wire.
It's a 50amp GFI breaker while the NEMA 14-50 plug is connected. But I have a 60amp breaker to plug in as soon as charger arrives. Everything is wired for 60 amps.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
It's a 50amp GFI breaker while the NEMA 14-50 plug is connected. But I have a 60amp breaker to plug in as soon as charger arrives. Everything is wired for 60 amps.
My understanding is that if you want to get the most out of the ford charger that it would require a 60 Amp breaker

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My understanding is that if you want to get the most out of the ford charger that it would require a 60 Amp breaker
Yes ... a 60 amp breaker is needed to sustain a continuous 48 amp draw. Everything about the wiring for my charger is run for 60 amps and I even have a 60 amp breaker. But ... not knowing if the Ford Connected charger will arrive before the car, we had the electrician temporarily install a 50amp GFCI breaker and the NEMA 14-50 plug so we can use the mobile charger while we wait.

Once it arrives, he'll swap the breaker and install the hard-wired 48 amp charger.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Yes ... a 60 amp breaker is needed to sustain a continuous 48 amp draw. Everything about the wiring for my charger is run for 60 amps and I even have a 60 amp breaker. But ... not knowing if the Ford Connected charger will arrive before the car, we had the electrician temporarily install a 50amp GFCI breaker and the NEMA 14-50 plug so we can use the mobile charger while we wait.

Once it arrives, he'll swap the breaker and install the hard-wired 48 amp charger.
To those struggling to follow the conversation, I can confirm that this makes electrical sense and is legal (source, am a power engineer).

50A breaker -> #6 CU conductors -> NEMA 14-50 plug
Good for 40A continuous (enough for the mobile charger cable)

Upgrade to:
60A breaker -> #6 CU conductors -> hardwired EVSE connection
Good for 48A continuous (enough for the Ford connected charger)

For those considering what to have installed, there is no reason not to have your electrician pull #6 conductors. Yes they are big, but so are #8, and if you are going to pull anything, go all the way to #6. You can always put a smaller breaker on (the breaker is there to protect the cables, not your device), but you can't put in a larger one.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did just get the same email from Ford regarding the Ford Charger not arriving until January.

Fortunately I hedged my bets by purchasing the ChargePoint Home Flex. This is *slightly* dishonest in that what *really* happened is I recently discovered my electric utility was offering a $500 energy rebate if I purchased one of their approved chargers and thought I'd better take advantage of the offer... while it lasts (I wasn't really doing it to hedge my bets, but it paid off). Also ... the "in for a penny, in for a pound" logic of having the labor of the electrician doing the work ... I may as well get it ALL done so I never have to do this again. So I had everything done to accommodate two EV's (even though my present plans are only for one).

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Question. Is there a real difference between the ford charging station and other ones???

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
There's a whole thread about it already. Lots of conflicting viewpoints as you'd expect
thanks. I remember reading parts of it and getting lost. I guess my question is more of us waiting until sometime in January to get the ford charge station worth the wait.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
thanks. I remember reading parts of it and getting lost. I guess my question is more of us waiting until sometime in January to get the ford charge station worth the wait.
IMHO, no. I got a Grizzl-E because the car already has the smart features I would look for in a smart charger. I also think 48A is unnecessary, given that you have to charge overnight to fill up a mostly empty battery anyway. You can find counterpoints to mine in that thread. Missing is the fact that the federal 30% deduction expires 12/31, so the already more expensive Ford charger goes up even more.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
IMHO, no. I got a Grizzl-E because the car already has the smart features I would look for in a smart charger. I also think 48A is unnecessary, given that you have to charge overnight to fill up a mostly empty battery anyway. You can find counterpoints to mine in that thread. Missing is the fact that the federal 30% deduction expires 12/31, so the already more expensive Ford charger goes up even more.
thanks
Sponsored