TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are you sure he put in a 60 amp breaker? If so, that's against code with a 14-50 plug since the plug is only rated at 50 amps. You want the breaker to be the first thing that pops (not the outlet).

If he installed 60A capable wire with a 50A breaker for now, that would be okay. And it would be simple to just swap the 50A breaker to a 60A when you're ready to hard wire.
As long as everything is working right, it should work OK since nothing powered by a 14-50 plug should be able to draw more than 40A. Any device that draws more than 40A is supposed to be hardwired.

But the point of a breaker is also to protect the circuit if something malfunctions and tries to draw more. So there is a little extra risk there.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
As long as everything is working right, it should work OK since nothing powered by a 14-50 plug should be able to draw more than 40A.
Sure, it should work just fine. But would be safer and up to code if it just used a 50A breaker. As long as the wire is thick enough, it's easy to increase the breaker size later.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
As long as everything is working right, it should work OK since nothing powered by a 14-50 plug should be able to draw more than 40A. Any device that draws more than 40A is supposed to be hardwired.

But the point of a breaker is also to protect the circuit if something malfunctions and tries to draw more. So there is a little extra risk there.
Breakers (non-GFCI) are super cheap (compared to everything else for an install), no reason to risk it in my opinion. Would hate to have a faulty EVSE cause a fire that a breaker could have tripped and prevented.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Just got this email from fordparts:

Dear FordParts.com Customer,

We know you are excited about the all-new 2021 Mustang Mach-E and we thank you for your purchase of the Ford Connected Charge Station through FordParts.com. We wanted to let you know your Ford Connected Charge Station will now be delivered in January 2021. To check the status of your order, please visit the My Orders page at FordParts.com, or, contact the Customer Resource Center at [email protected] or (844) 589-0060.

Every 2021 Mustang Mach-E comes equipped with the Ford Mobile Charger, which can be plugged into a 120V or 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet for up to 30 amps of power. Mach-E customers also have access to public charging through the FordPassTM Charging Network, including 250 kWh of complimentary charging on Electrify America DC fast chargers through FordPass Rewards*.

Installation of the Ford Connected Charge Station or a 240V outlet requires a licensed electrician. Visit Amazon.com or Qmerit Charging to find installation services in your area. (These independent companies are solely responsible for the products and services they provide). You also can schedule installation with a licensed electrician using these guidelines for an accurate quote.

Additionally, Ford has developed installation tips for licensed electricians.

If you have any questions, please contact the Customer Resource Center at [email protected] or (844) 589-0060.

FordParts.com

*To qualify for the complimentary charging offer, modem must be activated within 60 days of purchase through the FordPass App on a smartphone. Complimentary charging expires 2 years from vehicle purchase date. Offer excludes idle fees and parking violations associated with charging.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Just received this email:

Dear FordParts.com Customer,​
We know you are excited about the all-new 2021 Mustang Mach-E and we thank you for your purchase of the Ford Connected Charge Station through FordParts.com. We wanted to let you know your Ford Connected Charge Station will now be delivered in January 2021. To check the status of your order, please visit the My Orders page at FordParts.com, or, contact the Customer Resource Center at [email protected] or (844) 589-0060.​
Every 2021 Mustang Mach-E comes equipped with the Ford Mobile Charger, which can be plugged into a 120V or 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet for up to 30 amps of power. Mach-E customers also have access to public charging through the FordPassTM Charging Network, including 250 kWh of complimentary charging on Electrify America DC fast chargers through FordPass Rewards*.​
Installation of the Ford Connected Charge Station or a 240V outlet requires a licensed electrician. Visit Amazon.com or Qmerit Charging to find installation services in your area. (These independent companies are solely responsible for the products and services they provide). You also can schedule installation with a licensed electrician using these guidelines for an accurate quote.​
Additionally, Ford has developed installation tips for licensed electricians.​
If you have any questions, please contact the Customer Resource Center at [email protected] or (844) 589-0060.​
FordParts.com​
*To qualify for the complimentary charging offer, modem must be activated within 60 days of purchase through the FordPass App on a smartphone. Complimentary charging expires 2 years from vehicle purchase date. Offer excludes idle fees and parking violations associated with charging.​
Guess that answers that

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Pretty much aligns with the info from my dealer. It is a good thing we all got wind of this months ago and could have planned according. While I wasnt planning on buying one of these units, I do appreciate that my dealer reached out to their customers ahead of time so alternate plans could be made just in case.

I actually replied back to my dealer with alternate 48 amp units that I felt would be a good substitute to the Ford Connected Wall unit just in case. He then followed up with another e-mail to his other customers with special offers for those alternate units as well as a list of recommended electricians and a link to the federal rebate webpage.

All in all, I would say that dealer did an excellent job servicing their customers and providing reasonable options for this issue. Some order holders moved ahead with alternate units while some others chose to wait until later. Either way they had the necessary info and make the best choice for their situation.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Breakers (non-GFCI) are super cheap (compared to everything else for an install), no reason to risk it in my opinion. Would hate to have a faulty EVSE cause a fire that a breaker could have tripped and prevented.
Yep, if one is comfortable doing it themselves, I would swap it out with a 50A. Many are <$15.

But if not comfortable, then it's an expensive electrician hire. If it were temporary, I might just leave it, since most components are over-engineered and should handle a few more amps. But I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it that way for very long.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Pretty much aligns with the info from my dealer. It is a good thing we all got wind of this months ago and could have planned according. While I wasnt planning on buying one of these units, I do appreciate that my dealer reached out to their customers ahead of time so alternate plans could be made just in case.

I actually replied back to my dealer with alternate 48 amp units that I felt would be a good substitute to the Ford Connected Wall unit just in case. He then followed up with another e-mail to his other customers with special offers for those alternate units as well as a list of recommended electricians and a link to the federal rebate webpage.

All in all, I would say that dealer did an excellent job servicing their customers and providing reasonable options for this issue. Some order holders moved ahead with alternate units while some others chose to wait until later. Either way they had the necessary info and make the best choice for their situation.
Now that is how you create a good dealer experience

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag

Well aren't you lucky! A dealer that actually communicates with their customers???

Pft - I've been trying to speak with mine for 2 weeks with no luck.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yep, if one is comfortable doing it themselves, I would swap it out with a 50A. Many are <$15.

But if not comfortable, then it's an expensive electrician hire.
Well, if uncomfortable swapping a breaker, he probably wouldn't be comfortable switching the 14-50 outlet to hardwired either, so he'll still need an electrician. If an electrician is there doing the hardwire anyway, I can't imagine it would cost much more to swap the breaker.

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Just got this email from fordparts:

Dear FordParts.com Customer,

We know you are excited about the all-new 2021 Mustang Mach-E and we thank you for your purchase of the Ford Connected Charge Station through FordParts.com. We wanted to let you know your Ford Connected Charge Station will now be delivered in January 2021. To check the status of your order, please visit the My Orders page at FordParts.com, or, contact the Customer Resource Center at [email protected] or (844) 589-0060.

Every 2021 Mustang Mach-E comes equipped with the Ford Mobile Charger, which can be plugged into a 120V or 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet for up to 30 amps of power. Mach-E customers also have access to public charging through the FordPassTM Charging Network, including 250 kWh of complimentary charging on Electrify America DC fast chargers through FordPass Rewards*.

Installation of the Ford Connected Charge Station or a 240V outlet requires a licensed electrician. Visit Amazon.com or Qmerit Charging to find installation services in your area. (These independent companies are solely responsible for the products and services they provide). You also can schedule installation with a licensed electrician using these guidelines for an accurate quote.

Additionally, Ford has developed installation tips for licensed electricians.

If you have any questions, please contact the Customer Resource Center at [email protected] or (844) 589-0060.

FordParts.com

*To qualify for the complimentary charging offer, modem must be activated within 60 days of purchase through the FordPass App on a smartphone. Complimentary charging expires 2 years from vehicle purchase date. Offer excludes idle fees and parking violations associated with charging.
I received the same email. I called Ford parts to cancel my order. The agent said they couldn't find it. They had to open up a "ticket" to be escalated. Not a great way to begin my new relationship with Ford.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, if uncomfortable swapping a breaker, he probably wouldn't be comfortable switching the 14-50 outlet to hardwired either, so he'll still need an electrician. If an electrician is there doing the hardwire anyway, I can't imagine it would cost much more to swap the breaker.
Fair point. If hiring one later anyway, just do both then since you're already eating the biggest charge (just showing up).

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I received the same email. I called Ford parts to cancel my order. The agent said they couldn't find it. They had to open up a "ticket" to be escalated. Not a great way to begin my new relationship with Ford.
Person I contacted said I had to contact the dealer that I placed the order with. Contacted them but no response...

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Fair point. If hiring one later anyway, just do both then since you're already eating the biggest charge (just showing up).
except that the way he described it, he has a 14-50 outlet on a 60 amp breaker. Granted, if he's using the mobile charger that only draws 30A then he's fine. However, any electrical inspector worth his/her salt should red tag it.