First Name
William
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
50 amp breaker on a nema 1450 outlet is going to produce like 29 miles of range per hour opposed to the 32 miles per hour range with the hardwired outlet 60 amp breaker. It isn't cost effect for you to make such a change.

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
50 amp breaker on a nema 1450 outlet is going to produce like 29 miles of range per hour opposed to the 32 miles per hour range with the hardwired outlet 60 amp breaker. It isn't cost effect for you to make such a change.
I'm pretty sure the included mobile connector for the NEMA 14-50 maxes out at 32A for a charge rate of 22 miles of range per hour. The hardwired charger takes advantage of the 60A breaker for the 48A charge rate of 32 miles of range per hour. 22mi is basically all you need for daily use.

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have used the Black and Decker book of home wiring to do my own wiring, you can get a permit to do your own work and have it inspected afterwards, which can potentially save a lot on installation. If you are a DIY type this may be an option. When I bought our home it had a 14-50 outlet connected to a 50A breaker, I'm debating about getting a bigger breaker and wiring so I could use the 48A charger, but since i have a juicebox 40 already its probably not worth the expense even if I sell the juicebox.
I've done some of my own home wiring, even new breakers from the panel years ago, but only on 110v which is more straightforward. As long as I could get an electrician to do it for a reasonable price, I'd rather pay a few hundred more to have an expert do it. (At least I hope it's just hundreds.) Plus I'm not sure if a permit is required and what local code is for a garage circuit.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the included mobile connector for the NEMA 14-50 maxes out at 32A for a charge rate of 22 miles of range per hour. The hardwired charger takes advantage of the 60A breaker for the 48A charge rate of 32 miles of range per hour. 22mi is basically all you need for daily use.
You can use a clipper creek cable other than Fords and have a higher miles per hour range.

mustangteddy

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicles
2014 F150 2016 Explorer 2016 Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Truck Driver
Country flag
I have used the Black and Decker book of home wiring to do my own wiring, you can get a permit to do your own work and have it inspected afterwards, which can potentially save a lot on installation. If you are a DIY type this may be an option. When I bought our home it had a 14-50 outlet connected to a 50A breaker, I'm debating about getting a bigger breaker and wiring so I could use the 48A charger, but since i have a juicebox 40 already its probably not worth the expense even if I sell the juicebox.
If your wiring is big enough for the 60amp circuit getting a bigger breaker wouldn't cost you more than 20 bucks. And if you're willing to wire the new wall mount it's probably gonna cost you 300 if you could sell your current evse for 200. Doesn't hurt to have a backup or put a plug in the circuit to be able to swap between the two provided you can find stuff with a rating that high. That part I'm not familiar enough with.

Advertisement