Fords new Ad bashing Elon is not a good look for EVs owners and perspective buyers.

Junctionivy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Occupation
IT
Country flag
In a new Ad that I recently saw over and over again on streaming services, Ford accuses Tesla running away current economic problems and leaves a bad taste in our mouths as some former and current Tesla owners. I was excited to receive and use my Mach E as a much sportier replacement and daily driver than the Tesla. However, I think this Ad is not going to produce any future converts or convince any on the fence buyers since it just makes Ford sound like the child screaming it's not fair. Is this the future goal of Ford to move away from EVs or can keep perfecting the technology? Let's discuss.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Junctionivy

Junctionivy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This one?

Yeah, those first few seconds take a light-hearted jab at Elon Musk (not so much Tesla), and I'm okay with that.
Yes

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Agree, seems more against Musk and maybe Bezos than Tesla. I know many combine the two, heck, Musk's continued association was my biggest reason for not wanting to touch Tesla despite liking their technology and that.

I also don't have an issue with it, Musk is a tool. Not discounting what he did for Tesla overall, but in the last few years he seems more concerned with his own image than his original goals for Tesla and SolarCity and that.

Obie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium 4X
Country flag
Musk’s blatant use of social media to short crypto/stock markets in the last few years has been obscene. He is a tool and the only reason I didn’t get a Tesla. They said, I am MUCH happier with my Mach-E.

I think this ad is more than ok considering.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
In a new Ad that I recently saw over and over again on streaming services, Ford accuses Tesla running away current economic problems and leaves a bad taste in our mouths as some former and current Tesla owners. I was excited to receive and use my Mach E as a much sportier replacement and daily driver than the Tesla. However, I think this Ad is not going to produce any future converts or convince any on the fence buyers since it just makes Ford sound like the child screaming it's not fair. Is this the future goal of Ford to move away from EVs or can keep perfecting the technology? Let's discuss.
Very clearly a jab at Musk, and not Tesla. No mention of Telsa, talks about a person, not a company.

Thought it was a great ad. Love it.

Absent the lack of styling and the poor fit of body panels, I never considered a Tesla, nor would I, for only one reason - Elon Musk. So there's that.

OP
OP
Junctionivy

Junctionivy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Agree, seems more against Musk and maybe Bezos than Tesla. I know many combine the two, heck, Musk's continued association was my biggest reason for not wanting to touch Tesla despite liking their technology and that.

I also don't have an issue with it, Musk is a tool. Not discounting what he did for Tesla overall, but in the last few years he seems more concerned with his own image than his original goals for Tesla and SolarCity and that.
I can't disagree, but do you think this will those that do like Tesla and/or Elon want to buy a Ford?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I can't disagree, but do you think this will those that do like Tesla and/or Elon want to buy a Ford?
I think those that are objective and don't have an emotional connection to either will find it amusing enough, especially considering Ford spent the remaining 95% positively affirming their commitment to "progressing into the future".

Sure, those that like Tesla might not like it, and certainly the fanboiz will take exception to it. However, I too am one who was turned away from Tesla BECAUSE of Elon Musk. He is a petty dictator and a liar, and his rabid personality cult is far less attractive than the first few seconds of that ad. He has completely lost the vision and mission of BEV's, getting himself distracted by ADAS and robots rather than his early vision of making BEV's affordable and thus ubiquitous. His ego won't allow him to let go of the fantasy of a fleet of robotaxis, which in the end don't solve the real problem that needs solving. Given the choice of uber drivers driving their affordable and efficient BEVs vs ripping people off to the tune of $15k I'll take more affordable BEVs for the masses.

This speaking as someone who very much admired him at one time.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
This one?

Yeah, those first few seconds take a light-hearted jab at Elon Musk (not so much Tesla), and I'm okay with that.
I don't agree with it, but it's savvy marketing.

Elon is unpopular. Tesla is popular. Lots of people say they like Tesla but dislike Musk. Ford is tying an Elon albatross around Tesla's neck. I would call them Muskmobiles. :)

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I don't agree with it, but it's savvy marketing.

Elon is unpopular. Tesla is popular. Lots of people say they like Tesla but dislike Musk. Ford is tying an Elon albatross around Tesla's neck. I would call them Muskmobiles. :)
Right. If the ad was bashing Tesla specifically, then I might have a problem with it. Tesla is doing things that Ford still aspires to do.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
This one?

Love this commercial for many reasons, but most of all the voiceover by Bryan Cranston.

IamIA

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3 & i3s, Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
What are you talking about. Elon should be in jail or on one-way trip to Mars.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
When the '$30,000' Tesla came out, I was interested, let's see what's there!

After the hype, it's just another 4 door sedan with a boring inside and the only options are more range/power.

don't get me wrong, it's a great piece of rolling software.

Tesla is a software company that builds cars.

Ford is an automobile company that has software.

I went with a KonaEV because the Mach E wasn't on the radar (for me) in 2019.

Keeperofthe7keys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium
Country flag
Those that love Elon probably wouldn't consider another automaker anyways, those that just like their Tesla aren't necessarily that biased towards him. And besides, the main goal should really be getting everyone into an EV. Since a lot of people dislike Musk and won't consider a Tesla because of him, this is a good ad for getting those people's attention that "hey, EVs are and they're mainstream now."
Sponsored