Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Is EA still complimentary today?
It depends on the location. Some are complimentary until January 3 and some are not. Unfortunately, you won’t know until you arrive at a charger. ?‍♂?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
@AEtherScythe and I started our road-trip at 6am Dec 23. We paid for every charge in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia.

On Dec 24, we paid for every charge in North Carolina (I love Sheetz, BTW ... these guys have everything. Gas, Electrons, a convenience store, a restaurant, and even true "touch less" car wash. What's not to like?).

When we got to South Carolina, our last charge was free ... but oddly it did not display the "free charging" message ... instead it displayed the cost per kWh was $0.00. Our hotel had Level 2 chargers.

On Dec 25 ... we had to charge a couple of times in Florida and that is the first time we say the "Free Charging" message displayed on them.

I like that EA does this at so many of the holidays.

I still have just a *few* EA charging credits left from Ford. I'll use the last of those going home after the new-year (I don't head back until Jan 8 when the free charging is over) ... but I do have a Pass+ monthly membership so I'll get discounted charging ... then cancel Pass+ (it's a monthly membership with no obligation for a year) once I get home.

Side note: ONE particular EA charge in Pennsylvania (don't recall which town) didn't look like the others ... and didn't seem to be equipped to handle Plug & Charge. I signed up for Pass+ to use that charger.

JRinOAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Our MME is a little over a week old. Due to holidays and weather, we haven't driven much. Just plugged in for the very first time - took it to 80% for free. I assumed that session would display in the app under Account>Charge History (even tho it was free). But it didn't/hasn't. Regardless, a good first use experience with EA and public charging.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Got a free charge on my way home from the Orlando Airport tonight. For the first time I saw another Mach-E charging at EA. Talked to the owner while charging up to 80%. She just came down from Tennessee and was on her first road trip in an electric car. It was nice to hear that she successfully charged at The infamous Gainesville EA!!

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Got a free charge on my way home from the Orlando Airport tonight. For the first time I saw another Mach-E charging at EA. Talked to the owner while charging up to 80%. She just came down from Tennessee and was on her first road trip in an electric car. It was nice to hear that she successfully charged at The infamous Gainesville EA!!
Although the total was free it kept a running tally on the cost. Until the MME reached 80%, the rate was $.43 per kWh, but between 80% to 81%, the charging slowed down but the cost more then doubled. It’s something to watch when EA is not free. It seems that when charging is over 80%, and very slow, you are paying per minute instead per kWh.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Although the total was free it kept a running tally on the cost. Until the MME reached 80%, the rate was $.43 per kWh, but between 80% to 81%, the charging slowed down but the cost more then doubled. It’s something to watch when EA is not free. It seems that when charging is over 80%, and very slow, you are paying per minute instead per kWh.
That's not correct.

In some states, EA charges by the kWh. It other states, they charge by the minute. They don't switch back and forth. After you're done charging, they give you some time to disconnect. If you don't, they then penalize you by the minute.
Sponsored