Ochroma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E ER AWD Premium Infinite Blue
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I checked this morning at the EA station in Charlotte, NC and no free charging :(. None of the units showed free charging or a complimentary session. So it does appear, as EA said, this is not a network wide opportunity. Hopefully they provide free charging for New Years weekend.?

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
WOW. This would be AWESOME. We have a road trip coming up 12/27-1/2. Of course, I just paid $4 for the plus pass.
I just called EA. Itā€™s not every station. It is random. According to the support person they donā€™t know what stations are freeā€¦

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I love that EA doesnā€™t even make a pretense at trying to be profitable. :) So is VW still subsidizing this, or where is money coming from now?
That's exactly what was on my mind as well. Most of the EA stations charge well below what they need to break even. Even Tesla charges a heavily-subsidized rate (although they recently had a price hike). My guess is that this business model needs a few more years to mature before we land at a realistic charging fee.

Paying $0.31/kWh (EA member rate) is still a reasonably good deal compared to the cost of gas, but I doubt that EA will make any profit with that rate until their charging stations are closer to full utilization.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
That's exactly what was on my mind as well. Most of the EA stations charge well below what they need to break even. Even Tesla charges a heavily-subsidized rate (although they recently had a price hike). My guess is that this business model needs a few more years to mature before we land at a realistic charging fee.

Paying $0.31/kWh (EA member rate) is still a reasonably good deal compared to the cost of gas, but I doubt that EA will make any profit with that rate until their charging stations are closer to full utilization.
Which is why we needed govt intervention for more charging infrastructure. What if EA hadnā€™t been required to be built? Weā€™d all be worse off with what, EVGO?

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
I just used EA to charge. It did not say it was free and showed me the cost at the end of the session. However, no charging was billed to my EA account and no KWh were deducted from my free account. Plug and charge was enabled.

This was a test to see of the 21p22 update allowed me to keep charging past 80 % and it was a success. Charging rates were not reduced after I hit 80 %. Rates were running at 42 KW for the entire session from 61% to 83%. Outside temp was 27 degrees.

Update: After 24 hours EA has now billed my individual account and deducted the KWh from my Blue oval account. I assume the individual account charge will no continue to process but I will follow up.

Last edited:

ConejoRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CA Route 1 Mach-E, Chevrolet Volt
Country flag
It definitely was not free yesterday when we charged at the Quartzite EA stations and in fact it seemed to double charge us, both for the charging session and subtracted the Kwh from our hours balance! Waiting to see if the ā€œpendingā€ charge converts to an actual charge and will then call EA if it does!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I love that EA doesnā€™t even make a pretense at trying to be profitable. :) So is VW still subsidizing this, or where is money coming from now?
I am pretty sure EA is interested in increasing the percentage of time the plugs are in use so they can appeal to potential buyers when they are allowed to sell the network.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Which is why we needed govt intervention for more charging infrastructure. What if EA hadnā€™t been required to be built? Weā€™d all be worse off with what, EVGO?
Without EA we would be left with Avis or Hertz etc.

PrimeFuture

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER, 2013 Ford Focus
Country flag
Free at the Walmart in Houston at 111 Yale St, Houston, TX 77007. Wife drained the car working today so glad to take advantage of the free charge.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Free charging @ EA IMG_20211224_170604

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Looks like it was free at both EA in Hagerstown, MD and Bedford, PA on my road trip with P&C enabled. Guess weā€™ll see. Also nice to have the cliff changed with the last update. 80% to 90% charging at 44kw.

update: it was free
Ford Mustang Mach-E Free charging @ EA AA7AF0C2-3FE7-443E-A81C-D6008A64EE7D

Last edited:

Anvesh11

First Name
Anvesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red MME RWD Ext Battery, 2016 Altima
Country flag
It definitely was not free yesterday when we charged at the Quartzite EA stations and in fact it seemed to double charge us, both for the charging session and subtracted the Kwh from our hours balance! Waiting to see if the ā€œpendingā€ charge converts to an actual charge and will then call EA if it does!
Thatā€™s weird. I had a free charging session at quartzite yesterday (12/24) evening. But, free charging was still still not activated on 12/22 though.
I was traveling on the 22nd where my FordPass free miles were used at quartzite and I was pleasantly surprised with free charging at the Palm Desert Target location a couple of hours later. Free EA charging might have been activated at some point between.

On a side note, plug and charge worked flawlessly at both locations and, blue cruise did wonderfully well to reduce physical strain all through the interstate.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
So I stopped by my local EA station on my way home from this evening to take advantage of the free charging. I had already seen the notice from EA on PlugShare that the Chademo plug was offline. No worries for me obviouslyā€¦

Get there and rollup to one of the 150kW stations and see the message that the sessions are free, so yay! Plug in and station shows a screen saying the station is unavailable. Bummerā€¦ Move to a 350kW station, plug in and itā€™s just ā€œconnecting to vehicleā€ forever. Mach-E says station fault. Tried about 4 times with no luck. Decided maybe I needed to turn off plug and charge. Opened up FordPass and go to Blue Oval Charging, but low and behold thereā€™s no way to turn P&C off. App acts as if Iā€™m not the owner of the carā€¦

Ford Mustang Mach-E Free charging @ EA 798E7D39-5BFF-4FD9-8434-0346776A58CE

Bolt owner showed up and grabbed the only other free station so I gave up and left. Now I have no means of turning off P&C that I can find. Website has no options and FordPass gets me nowhere. Iā€™ve had no issues in the past with EA, but Iā€™ve only them them (or any DC fast charging) on a few small road-trips.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Thatā€™s weird. I had a free charging session at quartzite yesterday (12/24) evening. But, free charging was still still not activated on 12/22 though.
I was traveling on the 22nd where my FordPass free miles were used at quartzite and I was pleasantly surprised with free charging at the Palm Desert Target location a couple of hours later. Free EA charging might have been activated at some point between.

On a side note, plug and charge worked flawlessly at both locations and, blue cruise did wonderfully well to reduce physical strain all through the interstate.
I got the same thing. Charged at Love's. Totally free at Desert Hills Outlets on 12/22. Since then free at Ralf's in Sherman Oaks (inside the garage, so not bothered by rain) and Target in Van Nuys. So far I used 36kWh of my free 500 kWh and driven about 600 miles on that.
Sponsored