SkyWalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang, Mach-E
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
Maybe I'm just late to this information, but I was doing some tax research and I came across the mention of an Annual Alternative Fuel Vehicle Fee here in GA. I'm a little taken aback by this information and it has somewhat discouraged me in proceeding with my order.

I know some people may feel that you shouldn't get into the EV game if you want to be cheap, and I'm sure the fee is so they can collect on the taxes they aren't receiving from gas sales, but still. I hope at the very least this post is informative for anyone who wasn't planning on spending an extra $213+/year. I'm sure I'll still end up purchasing but it is definitely on a list of cons.

https://dor.georgia.gov/alternative-fuel-vehicles-annual-licensing-fees-policy-bulletin
Sponsored

Last edited:

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
That's a lot. Here in CT I spend about $80 a year on gasoline tax, and this is a high-tax state.

OP
OP

SkyWalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang, Mach-E
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
That's a lot. Here in CT I spend about $80 a year on gasoline tax, and this is a high-tax state.
Yeah, that I can deal with. I wouldn't want to pay it but that's not too bad. By the time I add in special plate fees I'm going to be looking at about $300 annually.

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe I'm just late to this information, but I was doing some tax research and I came across the mention of an Annual Alternative Fuel Vehicle Fee here in GA. I'm a little taken aback by this information and it has somewhat discouraged me in proceeding with my order.

I know some people may feel that you shouldn't get into the EV game if you want to be cheap, and I'm sure the fee is so they can collect on the taxes they aren't receiving from gas sales, but still. I hope at the very least this post is informative for anyone who wasn't planning on spending an extra $213+/year. I'm sure I'll still end up purchasing but it is definitely on a list of cons.

https://dor.georgia.gov/alternative-fuel-vehicles-annual-licensing-fees-policy-bulletin
I sent a copy of the law to Biden, Buttegeig, et al as it runs contrary to the goal of reducing our carbon emission. Biden has said all new gov vehicles will be EVs!

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
CA. is doing the same. Only caveat is CA. gives enough incentives that it isn't too big of a deal. I still think it's BS.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I live in St George, UT and between the state and the county my fee is $ 311.75/yr

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you drive an ICE, you are already paying that much annually- but you pay it per gallon so don't notice it. Roads, police, firefighters, schools, protection from poison in your food/air/water: all of that has to be paid for in a modern society.

OP
OP

SkyWalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang, Mach-E
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
CA. is doing the same. Only caveat is CA. gives enough incentives that it isn't too big of a deal. I still think it's BS.
GA got rid of their tax credit in 2015 and it seems like they immediately implemented the Annual Alternative Fuel Vehicle Fee the following year.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm here in GA I wasn't aware of that fee, but not surprising, they did away with incentives years ago, and while other states are rewarding people going EV with incentives, GA it taxing them. Amazing.

Dan G

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
If you drive an ICE, you are already paying that much annually- but you pay it per gallon so don't notice it. Roads, police, firefighters, schools, protection from poison in your food/air/water: all of that has to be paid for in a modern society.
In Michigan the fee is $300-$390 on your registration. At 18 cents a gallon, you could buy 100 gallons a month for the entire year and still pay less in taxes.

But it's worth it to me!

OP
OP

SkyWalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang, Mach-E
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
We know what it's supposedly going towards but it's still a backwards move in my opinion as we try to move towards a society with less emissions. ICE drivers caught a small break this past year with the reduced travel but EV drivers still had to pay their lump sum, flat rate fee. I know taxes/fees aren't fair or perfect and never will be, but I wanted to bring up the costs to anyone else that isn't aware. Despite me living my entire life here I'm still caught off guard every now and then by backwardness.

SimS

First Name
Sim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Prius, F150
Country flag
In Michigan the fee is $300-$390 on your registration. At 18 cents a gallon, you could buy 100 gallons a month for the entire year and still pay less in taxes.

But it's worth it to me!
Take your $300 fee and calculate the gallons of gas. $300/.18 = 1666.67 gallons of gas based on taxes. Let's say your ICE vehicle gets 25MPG that works out to 41,666 miles per year given the arbitrary $300 surtax. So every BEV owner is paying for 41,000 miles of road tax while ICE owner is paying at the pump (using the 25 MPG but real avg miles per year of 12,500/25 X.18) $90 per year. Bump it up to 25,000 per year and it is still almost half of the BEV surtax. I think I have the math right. This is nothing more than another "I'm glad it's not me" tax just like the "connection fees" the power companies get to charge solar panel customers. It makes big brother feel good to give out one time tax CREDITS to BEV owners but OTOH you pay $300 of your NET income per year to drive the BEV every year of ownership. Big brother giveth and big brother taketh away. I just bake all these "extras" into the cost of ownership. And you do have to say to yourself; "But it's worth it to me!" because it sometimes doesn't make sense because of range anxiety, retail charging cost per KWH, travel time lost for recharging and early adopter issues. BTW my MME is tied up at the dealer in PDI with "charge door error codes" probably just RROC. But I'm still excited to take delivery.

SimS

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
OK, yes Georgia is gouging you. Extremely wealthy and powerful people have a vested interest in preventing EV's and renewable power generation from becoming the mainstream. If you live in a state where those people have the ear of the state legislators, then encourage fellow voters to vote for different legislators. It's flawed and difficult, but that's the way to affect change.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those others" - Winston Churchill

photocyclist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
Gas Tax in GA is .35 per gallon so quick (no coffee) math says 213/.35 = 608 gallons /52 Weeks = equivalent to paying for tax on 12 gallons a week for ICE.

Then for $55 more dollars you get the tag that gives you access to HOV - usually only good if you commute in and out of downtown :/

SimS

First Name
Sim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Prius, F150
Country flag
Gas Tax in GA is .35 per gallon so quick (no coffee) math says 213/.35 = 608 gallons /52 Weeks = equivalent to paying for tax on 12 gallons a week for ICE.

Then for $55 more dollars you get the tag that gives you access to HOV - usually only good if you commute in and out of downtown :/
@photocyclist,
I'm slightly relieved that the Georgia surtax is closer to reality than some of the other states schemes. Thanks for the info.
SimS
Sponsored