Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Wonder what will happen with the billions of govt money being poured in chargers that were going to be CCS
They can still be CCS. Both ford and GM have said they’ll be providing/offering adaptors. Also, don’t teslas come with adaptors?
Sponsored

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They can still be CCS. Both ford and GM have said they’ll be providing/offering adaptors. Also, don’t teslas come with adaptors?
You’re right but I think this is going to add a few more questions into their deployment. They may have no choice but to have both adaptors on each station

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Retrofitting will take a lot of time.

I was thinking about new CCS ones that are supposed to be built with fed money. They will have to decide what connectors to use or use both. This should set back building new stations as they figure this out.
They’ll use CCS. Remember, CCS isn’t going away and there are a number of cars that use CCS. Both Ford and GM have committed to CCS to NACS adaptors.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They’ll use CCS. Remember, CCS isn’t going away and there are a number of cars that use CCS. Both Ford and GM have committed to CCS to NACS adaptors.
I would think that many are going to need both not just CCS. I suspect a domino effect and other companies going to Tesla connector, EA and others will have to plan for the future when Ford and now GM (and others) will be converting to Tesla architecture

we shall see. of course everyone can buy an adapter but not everyone wants to.

OP
OP

MachEUser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
You’re right but I think this is going to add a few more questions into their deployment. They may have no choice but to have both adaptors on each station
I think Tesla can get away with just having NACS and offering adapters on website to CCS users. They may not need to add magic docks everywhere or have as many out there to qualify for federal funding since now they can say NACS is a generic, common now that multiple car makers will use it. It does simplify charging for the general public.

Teslas only come with an adapter for J1772. They sell a CCS to Tesla adapter to use at non-Tesla DC fast chargers.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
We are going to see what we are seeing with Chademo now.

There will be 2 CCS available for every like 8 stations. Much like I see Chademo 1 available out of 4 stations.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I would think that many are going to need both not just CCS. I suspect a domino effect and other companies going to Tesla connector, EA and others will have to plan for the future when Ford and now GM (and others) will be converting to Tesla architecture

we shall see. of course everyone can buy an adapter but not everyone wants to.
Well, there are already a bunch of DCFC capable CCS to Tesla adaptors available, so cars with NACS outlets are already good to go. Only cars with CCS outlets that want to use Tesla chargers will need an adaptor.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

flapjake314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
aside from the fact that it didn't lock, i never had strong feelings against J1772

but CCS1 is one of the worst designs i have ever experienced. i have always asked the question (on this forum in fact) why CCS1 is so big and heavy when it is delivering THE SAME AMOUNT OF POWER as NACS. it's almost mind boggling it can be that much worse. it's as if someone already invented the round wheel and you're still making square ones.

i have no love for musk nor tesla but good riddance to CCS1

ElectrikPony

First Name
RANDY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
Country flag
Goodbye EVgo, elektify America and any of those other small time charging networks.

I always knew Tesla charging network was superior. I just couldn’t own a Tesla because the quality of those vehicles. It’s really lacking.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
I was wondering about this. A lot of those plans are already in motion. I hope they can adapt, but I don't have a lot of faith in the ability for the govt to move quickly.
90+% of the work for those plans is site selection and planning, working with power companies to drag power out to it, permitting, etc so the actual connector portion can be worked in parallel.

however, the feds do need to go through the process of re-opening that document now that it has been published in the federal register. no guarantee they will but when more than 70% of the probable EV production in the pipeline over the next few years is going to NACS it makes sense that they do.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Goodbye EVgo, elektify America and any of those other small time charging networks.
The report of my death is an exaggeration.
- Mark Twain.

Ford isn’t necessarily committed to NCAS after 2025. If it falls flat on its face they could very well change their minds. Is that the most likely scenario ? No, of course not. Plus, CP, Shell Recharge, EVgo and the rest could switch to NCAS systems presuming they’re genuinely a royalty free system. While the Oracle of Pretoria might want a monopoly, I think even he is realistic enough to know that that is a legally perilous path to tred.

As for EA, my personal opinion was that once the fraud fine money runs out (next year?) they were on extremely thin ice anyway. But again, there’s no compelling reason for the SuperCharger system to be the only NCAS option.

ElectrikPony

First Name
RANDY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
Country flag
The report of my death is an exaggeration.
- Mark Twain.

Ford isn’t necessarily committed to NCAS after 2025. If it falls flat on its face they could very well change their minds. Is that the most likely scenario ? No, of course not. Plus, CP, Shell Recharge, EVgo and the rest could switch to NCAS systems presuming they’re genuinely a royalty free system. While the Oracle of Pretoria might want a monopoly, I think even he is realistic enough to know that that is a legally perilous path to tred.

As for EA, my personal opinion was that once the fraud fine money runs out (next year?) they were on extremely thin ice anyway. But again, there’s no compelling reason for the SuperCharger system to be the only NCAS option.
The Tesla supercharger system will be the dominant one. Mark these words.
Sponsored