GM Adopts Tesla NACS like Ford!

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Too quick to nail the coffin. Tesla has to actually deliver something, I think.
All the parties do. It could be a year before anything tangible happens and they (Ford) would still meet their deadline. Early GM details say "2024" for the adapter. Customers think that means January 1 and GM figures that means they have until December 31.
Sponsored

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
This move could affect dozens of ultium platform vehicles produced this year.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wonder what will happen with the billions of govt money being poured in chargers that were going to be CCS

hartmms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Mach-e GT-PE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Wonder what will happen with the billions of govt money being poured in chargers that were going to be CCS
Just retro fit the existing chargers with either a new NACS cable or just a dongle so the one cord can be used for both ports. That would ensure existing EVs aren't left in the dust.

As for slow chargers like Bolt, it will be interesting to see how they are allowed into the Tesla system (if at all). Maybe blocking them from Tesla and getting them to use existing chargers.

I wonder this standardization pain existed back when the first gas stations were built. Probably not. Just shove a hose in a hole.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
My guess is that with Ford, GM, and Tesla now all on board with NACS, there will be changes that take place with the charging infrastructure rules. I'm sure Ford and GM are going to work hard to get their buddies to approve funding to help what is now *their* charging infrastructure. The next step will be for third party charging companies such as EA, EV-go etc to switch all future stations to NACS. The small handful of CCS EV's remaining can simply use existing CCS chargers or carry a NACS adapter for full access.

Thank goodness the industry made an intelligent decision while the infrastructure is still in its infancy. We take for granted our good health and strength but think how many feeble(not meant in a derogatory way) people just don't have the strength and dexterity to wrestle with the giant CCS monstrosity, especially in the cold and/or rain/snow which makes the transatlantic cable used even harder to manage.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just retro fit the existing chargers with either a new NACS cable or just a dongle so the one cord can be used for both ports. That would ensure existing EVs aren't left in the dust.

As for slow chargers like Bolt, it will be interesting to see how they are allowed into the Tesla system (if at all). Maybe blocking them from Tesla and getting them to use existing chargers.

I wonder this standardization pain existed back when the first gas stations were built. Probably not. Just shove a hose in a hole.
Retrofitting will take a lot of time.

I was thinking about new CCS ones that are supposed to be built with fed money. They will have to decide what connectors to use or use both. This should set back building new stations as they figure this out.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Yeah it is another good reason EA could use for not rolling out new or well running stations.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OP
OP

MachEUser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
There was pushback earlier from federal government when Tesla was claiming NACS was a national standard in terms of getting IRA federal funding for charging stations.

I think Tesla will qualify for massive federal subsidies without widely having to add magic dock or CCS capabilities. The NACS won because of the supercharger network for sure more so than the simplicity / engineering aspects, I think.

Tesla also has the process of selecting sites, permitting, getting them built and setup basically down to an assembly line process, so they will be able to add new stations quicker and cheaper. There was a video in the conference call how they basically come pre-assembled and are just installed on site.

Let's see if they lower their kWh pricing, there may be eventual pushback from the public since their prices are 10-15 cents higher than others, making it more expensive than an equivalent tank of gas.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
All the parties do. It could be a year before anything tangible happens and they (Ford) would still meet their deadline. Early GM details say "2024" for the adapter. Customers think that means January 1 and GM figures that means they have until December 31.
I am sure they will have adapters you can purchase from them long before they want to hand out a free one ;) The problem is even with an adapter how many GM vehicles that are out now or due to come out that will still use ccs.1 will be able to reach the the super charger. Its typically marketing fluff from GM & both Ford open up 12000 super chargers number of which you can use without blocking off other uses a lot less.

I don't care what connector eventually gets used as I have adaptors for home use regardless so wont need to mess around charging my wall box however I am more concerned to see what happens with 800v vehicles as apart from the hummer the current crop of 800v vehicles all charge slower the existing on tesla chargers using magic docks.

800v is the top of my list when it comes to my next EV purchase, now that is not going to be for a number of years so there is time for things to get sorted but if the 800v vehicles are going to hobbled by the tesla chargers it is certainly going to impact my purchase decisions as to which connector is going to be my preference especially with china starting to roll out 480kw chargers for 800v vehicles.

Regardless of which connector becomes the dominant one the charger network needs to expand in actual number of station and the locations of those chargers if all the NEVI funds just ends up going to retrofitting the exiting number of chargers to a different connector or v4 upgrades it will have all just been a complete waste of time.
Sponsored