Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
The bolt forum is a good read….a lot of upset Owners who got theirs bought back and went and bought new ones, now recalled. A Billion dollar issue I guess.
Sponsored

launchloop

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Ordered(?), Mazda CX-5, Ford Flex
Country flag
After a bit of thought I won’t cancel my Mach-E order. I’m going to trust that in the 3+ months between now and when my car is built Ford will look into this problem with LG cells and halt production if needed.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
After a bit of thought I won’t cancel my Mach-E order. I’m going to trust that in the 3+ months between now and when my car is built Ford will look into this problem with LG cells and halt production if needed.
What problem? There has been no reported problems with Mach-E batteries?

Note that Bolt issues started happening over last summer. Thus Ford has known about "this problem" for about a year now--not that GM knew why it was happening (and thus Ford/LG would know why it was happening). Still Ford probably had many conversations with LG about this with respect to the Mach-E in that time.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Don't know the final cost but It will go down as one of GM biggest blunders. Yes everyone has them but this will be the biggest EV one to date. The one that might have been the nail in the coffin is the bolt that caught fire in the school parking line while the parents waited to pick up kids.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
It seems worth pointing out too, by the end of this month Ford will have probably produced almost as many MMEs as Chevy has Bolts since the 2018 MY. Sure, the MME has only been on the market for a few months, but even so, that's a huge number of cars out there stress testing their batteries. Makes me wonder too if the handful of HVB faults people have posted about may reflect some additional error-checking or safety measures on Ford's behalf.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I sense a class-action suit approaching and it's gonna make one hackofa dent when it hits its target.

I just hope the fallout doesn't include a change in our auto insurance policies.....or a few splashy Congressional hearings.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This was gonna happen. If not with GM - then with other manufacturer.
The Kona fires were happening at the same time as the Bolt, and in even greater numbers initially.

FYI, a VW ID3 just burned up in Europe, with LG batteries.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Mr. Munro did not open up a cell to expose the separator, which is wound up between anode and cathode layers inside of each cell.

http://lithiumionbattery.org/activities/separator
And if he had opened a cell and exposed it ot oxygen, well he might have ended up in the hospital. I had the case of an RC battery, pouch by the way, get punctured, it is quit the fire.

Keep in mind the exact design and packaging of the Kona and Bolt batteries were not identical, but they both ended up with internal manufacturing defects. I really think LG is going to have to institute some form of xray/mri technology to inspect every cell after it is built.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Don't know the final cost but It will go down as one of GM biggest blunders. Yes everyone has them but this will be the biggest EV one to date. The one that might have been the nail in the coffin is the bolt that caught fire in the school parking line while the parents waited to pick up kids.
Not sure why you are blaming GM, it is LG and they have had fires in the following:

- Kona
- Bolt
- Battery storage home system
- Recently VW ID3

Remember Tata airbags? How many different cars got recalled because of those?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Not sure why you are blaming GM, it is LG and they have had fires in the following:

- Kona
- Bolt
- Battery storage home system
- Recently VW ID3

Remember Tata airbags? How many different cars got recalled because of those?
Again like I said everyone has them. And also again like anything else in life if you pick the supplier you have to own it. If you decide to wear an untrustworthy condom and have a opps well sorry not on the condom maker but you for making the poor choice.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey, Ford Mach-E batteries are made by LG in Polland. I noticed that the news says Ford Battery recalls too. Are they referring to Fords Hybrid vehicles or the Mach-E? I haven't seen any recall notices have you guys?

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Again like I said everyone has them. And also again like anything else in life if you pick the supplier you have to own it. If you decide to wear an untrustworthy condom and have a opps well sorry not on the condom maker but you for making the poor choice.
My Mach-E is an untrustworthy condom? LOL Didn't know that!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Hey, Ford Mach-E batteries are made by LG in Polland. I noticed that the news says Ford Battery recalls too. Are they referring to Fords Hybrid vehicles or the Mach-E? I haven't seen any recall notices have you guys?
No battery recalls on the Mach-E at this time. They may have been referencing other Ford vehicles such as the Kuga PHEV, which have had recalls related to batteries in recent years.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag
Hopefully this doesn't drop the resell value on the Mach-E. I traded in our Bolt for a Mach-E.. which was a good choice. I hope the LG issues don't carry over to the Mach-E.
Sponsored

Last edited: