Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
As discussed in this thread, Google and Ford announced that EV route planning via Google Maps will be coming soon to Mach-E and Lightning owners using Android Auto. We got a brief demo of this as well as a peak at Android Automotive in the Polestar 3. And... as a bonus, you will also see the slightly updated interface on SYNC 4A with new icons at the top of the screen.

Sponsored

Nerwyn

First Name
Nerwyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021Ford MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The new icons are an improvement! Google Maps does currently have a quick option for EV chargers along your route if you set your vehicle type to electric, but I've found that it doesn't have all the chargers that PlugShare does.

I wish Google would give us the option to make non-maps apps full screen like we could before the Sync 4A UI overhaul. And I wish Ford would let us get rid of the bottom recents area so we can make Android Auto even bigger.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I like the charger integration in maps, although I'm not sure I like the idea of google automotive essentially owning the car in the future. "Big brother" doesn't necessarily have to refer to a government, and the amount of metadata google already has (and capitalizes on) is staggering.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
new icons at the top of the screen.
It’s great to finally see those on the Mach-E. This at least confirms we are getting them and they are not just for the Lightning.

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Escape MY17, Puma MY20, Mach E MY22 AWD ER TP2
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
and I am missing how I can tell google maps that it is a SR or an ER or AWD or RW

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
and I am missing how I can tell google maps that it is a SR or an ER or AWD or RW
I imagine it will be very similar to Apple Maps & CarPlay setup. With that, you sit in the car and have CarPlay running. Then you can add your car to your profile.

Below is a demo of how it works with Apple Maps. Once it is connected, the car is reporting all of the essential data to Maps - battery capacity, car specs, state of charge, etc.

***THIS IS FOR APPLE MAPS BUT THE PROCESS WILL LIKELY BE SIMILAR ON GOOGLE MAPS***

Aubury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium - Grabber Blue
Country flag
So looks like the feature is done on Ford's side (as long as the demo isn't faked). Hopefully we see it within the next few months. Though looking at the top bar there's graphical changes for the menus, which likely means more changes than just the android auto vehicle state sharing. So who knows how long it'll take Ford to actually release it. Especially since it seems like they're on an OTA release pause due to those OTAs that bricked some cars.

Mache_Nor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE LR RWD
Country flag
What about those with car play and still uses Google Maps? (It is way better than Apple Maps). And one thing I didn't catch from the video, and before; it will support precondition and small instrument cluster navigation?

Dhruval Shah

First Name
Dhruval
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Will this update allow for battery pre-conditioning on our way to charger just like Ford's built-in navigation?

Nugatti

First Name
Aleksander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Turn-by-turn navigation and remaining distance doesn't appear on the instrument screen?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Will this update allow for battery pre-conditioning on our way to charger just like Ford's built-in navigation?
Apple Maps EV routing doesn't do pre-conditioning so I wouldn't think Google Maps would enable it either.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Google maps native to Android automotive has the charger search icon as the first one. You can filter by charging speeds and specific networks. It also preconditions in the Ultium vehicles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Google Maps EV Routing demo in Mach-E Sync 4A at CES 2024 (VIDEO) IMG_0705
Sponsored