Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Just watched this...very good video with lots of data! 12 runs at the track with charge and performance numbers.

Mustang Mach-E GT 0-60 Claims Tested on the Drag Strip | Battery Stress Test - YouTube
I canā€™t. ?

So, the elephant in the room according to him is the 3.69 0-60. Ok, sure. (No mention of 1ft rollout which Ford uses)

ā€œIt was very consistent all night, with trap speeds over 100.ā€ ? Wow, 100! Hint, dude, thereā€™s your Elephant right there.

Seeing the GPS speed digits flipping once again confirms that the GT doesnā€™t start laying down until way into the 75-80 range. Or, after, ahem, 5 seconds. Haha.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I'm surprised 12 runs only dropped SoC a hair less than 20%. I would have expected more. That makes for a full night of fun without worrying about getting home.
Why, itā€™s only giving 100% for 5 seconds of each run. No surprise considering that information. If it were capable of running an 11.8 1/4 mile, 5 seconds would only be 42% of the run. So, multiply the 12 runs by .42 and presto, it really only run full power for roughly 5.08 1/4 miles. Yeah.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Why, itā€™s only giving 100% for 5 seconds of each run. No surprise considering that information. If it were capable of running an 11.8 1/4 mile, 5 seconds would only be 42% of the run. So, multiply the 12 runs by .42 and presto, it really only run full power for roughly 5.08 1/4 miles. Yeah.
I think we've all heard the gripes about the limited power boost...the horse is thoroughly beaten.

My surprise was in direct comparison to my ICE vehicles in how much fuel I would expend at the track. As mentioned in the video I would try to get to the track with less than a 1/4 tank and then fill up with some leaded 100 octane. By the end of the night after 20 or so passes I'm nearly empty and having to start thinking about fueling up to get home.

Clearly here that's not a concern. You can have fun all night and not worry about getting home.

That's all. Don't over think it.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I think we've all heard the gripes about the limited power boost...the horse is thoroughly beaten.

My surprise was in direct comparison to my ICE vehicles in how much fuel I would expend at the track. As mentioned in the video I would try to get to the track with less than a 1/4 tank and then fill up with some leaded 100 octane. By the end of the night after 20 or so passes I'm nearly empty and having to start thinking about fueling up to get home.

Clearly here that's not a concern. You can have fun all night and not worry about getting home.

That's all. Don't over think it.
Thatā€™s because no ICE cars start limiting fuel pressure/flow rate to conserve fuel. No overthinking here. But, it is pertinent since this is a 1/4 thread. I never went to the track in my life caring about fuel consumption. If you only get 5 secs of full power itā€™s nothing surprising, thatā€™s all Iā€™m saying. Iā€™m not trying to re litigate what we know already, just that it is directly reflected by how little SOC drops. 0 surprise.

If you give 100 GT owners who will actually track theirs the choice of a drag strip mode that will allow full power for the duration of a 1/4 mile 98 will take it. And the corresponding depletion of SOC that goes with it. The other 2 are morons.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Thatā€™s because no ICE cars start limiting fuel pressure/flow rate to conserve fuel. No overthinking here. But, it is pertinent since this is a 1/4 thread. I never went to the track in my life caring about fuel consumption. If you only get 5 secs of full power itā€™s nothing surprising, thatā€™s all Iā€™m saying. Iā€™m not trying to re litigate what we know already, just that it is directly reflected by how little SOC drops. 0 surprise.

If you give 100 GT owners who will actually track theirs the choice of a drag strip mode that will allow full power for the duration of a 1/4 mile 98 will take it. And the corresponding depletion of SOC that goes with it. The other 2 are morons.
You are exactly right on all of that, especially the drag mode. Or hell, just give me 8 seconds instead of 5, that would probably be enough ;)

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Just watched this...very good video with lots of data! 12 runs at the track with charge and performance numbers.

The good news is that the times remain consistent over many runs. Starting at less than full charge probably impacted the 0-60 time, but the problem of course is you can't charge it back up at the track.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
You are exactly right on all of that, especially the drag mode. Or hell, just give me 8 seconds instead of 5, that would probably be enough ;)
I suspect the next step is the implementation of a launch control mode. Implementation of a mode that prepares the car for an anticipated run would allow ramping up thermal management in advance for an extended duration.

The engineers at the GT launch event indicated to some of the reviewers that they were investigating optimizing 1/4 mile performance.

They've also shown that they are starting conservative and expanding capabilities (like battery capacity) as the data shows.

I'm trusting in the process. It's good that we now know the how and why the numbers are what they are...and it's good to know it can change...and they are looking into optimizations.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to enjoying my GT...minus the small brakes. That still pisses me off.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The engineers at the GT launch event indicated to some of the reviewers that they were investigating optimizing 1/4 mile performance.
I corresponded directly with a reviewer who was at that event and he indicated that he had a lot of confidence that Ford Engineers would be doing something via OTA update to address the current concerns with the MME GT power limitations. Clearly it was something he felt engineers implied and/or hinted at but didn't state outright (likely due to the possibility that it might never happen.) I have a little bit of "believe it when I see it" feeling, but I hope its true.

Here is the personal kicker for me... I have a Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. I love cars. I know and understand what is happening, and the whole thing kinds of hacks me off. However, if I was completely unaware of what was going on, I am not sure that I would have noticed it based on the driving experience, other than the very obvious power restrictions when first starting out driving with no pre-conditioning.

With that said, if I was unaware, yet took it to the dragstrip, I am very much experienced enough to know that the ~102 trap speed would have had me saying "WTF is going on here." The ET would be nearly as fast as my traction-limited GT500, but that 20mph cushion would mean my 500 would go steaming by the MME GT on the top end like it was standing still.

Last edited:

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I corresponded directly with a reviewer who was at that event and he indicated that he had a lot of confidence that Ford Engineers would be doing something via OTA update to address the current concerns with the MME GT power limitations. Clearly it was something he felt engineers implied and/or hinted at but didn't state outright (likely due to the possibility that it might never happen.) I have a little bit of "believe it when I see it" feeling, but I hope its true.

Here is the personal kicker for me... I have a Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. I love cars. I know and understand what is happening, and the whole thing kinds of hacks me off. However, if I was completely unaware of what was going on, I am not sure that I would have noticed it based on the driving experience, other than the very obvious power restrictions when first starting out driving with no pre-conditioning.

With that said, if I was unaware, yet took it to the dragstrip, I am very much experienced enough to know that the ~102 trap speed would have had me saying "WTF is going on here."
For anyone that has ever been in a properly fast car, even without seeing any numbers it is pretty obvious just from the driving sensation that power is pulled. For your average joe / jane probably not as you get that initial shove which easily fools the senses.

The GT / GTPE by its nature of advertising performance is going to attract more customers that care about the performance than those that don't and most of those will typical have had some experience with properly fast cars either currently or in the past and will be able to tell something is up.

If Ford had faith in the engineering of the product they would have disclosed the actual base power and over boost power like everyone else does from the start long before people put in their orders, instead Ford has made bold claims about how "'weā€™re pushing the boundaries of what an electric vehicle can offer"

This is more than a case of needing to look into some optimizations to refine thing further, but a case of actually making changes to just live up to your marketing claims and if engineering can't then it time to tell marketing as a reputation for miss interpretation doesn't bode well for the long term sales.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
The good news is that the times remain consistent over many runs. Starting at less than full charge probably impacted the 0-60 time, but the problem of course is you can't charge it back up at the track.
Losing 4/10ths at 70% state of charge isnā€™t good, thatā€™s horrible.

Oh great, another Tesla comparisonā€¦ā€¦. But they donā€™t lose that much until 20% charge.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
In the meantime, I'm looking forward to enjoying my GT...minus the small brakes. That still pisses me off.
As it should.

Is there more from Ford than the stupid "19" brakes on the GT and GTPE and 18" on the Premium" or whatever?

IIRC there was a bunch of marketing from Brembo saying they were the same but not sure exactly what I'd seen from Ford.

It makes me feel a little better about my GTPE but sorry that it makes you feel worse about your GT. :D

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Its a computer on wheels. It logs everything. A simple button on the Drive Mode screen that says "Track Mode" that when flipped, pops up a disclaimer you have to hit OK on that says "if a battery fault is found due to excessive heat while using this mode, it voids your warranty. Do you understand these risks?" and presto. You have all the power available and Ford protects themselves.
Sponsored