GT Front Motor in Premium 4X?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think it's sort of an open question - I have not previously read about someone trying to upgrade an EV powertrain with a different EV powertrain. For reasons already mentioned by others, it might be a lot more complex than just adding a supercharger to an engine or something along those lines.

I'm sure eventually we will hear success or horror stories from the first people who try this.

Agree that given the unknown factor and likely complexity involved, it is probably much more straightforward to just get a GT unless someone is interested in doing this for the sake of tinkering and seeing what's possible.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tannerk89

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I think it's sort of an open question - I have not previously read about someone trying to upgrade an EV powertrain with a different EV powertrain. For reasons already mentioned by others, it might be a lot more complex than just adding a supercharger to an engine or something along those lines.

I'm sure eventually we will hear success or horror stories from the first people who try this.

Agree that given the unknown factor and likely complexity involved, it is probably much more straightforward to just get a GT unless someone is interested in doing this for the sake of tinkering and seeing what's possible.
Yeah agree. I just don’t think really any of those things mentioned sounded all that difficult to me (different harnesses, adding or replacing a ecu, couple of bolts and plumbing connections). Everything appears to be modular from Monro’s tear down so I feel like it’s not as bad as people are accustomed to with major ICE upgrades. But I work as an engineer in a vehicle assembly plant .. so kind of my area of expertise and not much that scares me about making changes. The biggest concern for me is flashing the ecu to the different spec, I don’t have experience (or software) for that so it seems difficult to me.. then again I had a Charger R/T flashed with some of the SRT modules unlocked and plenty of people using FORScan and other Ford programs so I’m fairly confident someone will figure it out.

Reactions: ARK

2021mustangdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select RWD, grabber blue
Country flag
Questionable with ADMU and lead times, but you’re right.

I’m more interested in the possibility of a performance modification culture similar to the ICE counterpart. Right now it seems that most people here or any EV owner forum are only looking into paint protection films and the like, my hope is that EV’s aren’t limited to software updates and people or companies begin to create higher performance components/upgrade kits/etc. I personally love working on vehicles, both in my personal life and as the career I’ve worked my way into.
This was the type of thing I was hoping for as well. I remember in the past of going though Steeda , Roush catalogs when I had my ICE Mustang GT's.

Dan

ScottB

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I am eagerly following and watching this myself as well. As a long time car enthusiast, having owned and modified Fox bodied Mustangs in my earlier years, the interesting concept of making upgrades to these are worth exploring. Warranty issues aside, there is a fundamental formula of performance upgrades which parallel ICE drivetrains. The difference is in how it is achieved and the hurdles to overcome. While more complex than the upgrade path faced during the ICE transition to electronic fuel injection, there were similar voices of hesitation at that time, though it was really only the fuel and control systems involved at that time. There is going to be a great deal of these lower spec Mach E Premium and Select models on the open market after their relatively short warranty period lapses, leaving a potential industry for performance upgrades available. While the choice of new Premium to new GT makes performance modification less financially feasible, the cost difference between near future used Select models to GT may leave a huge cost gap which may accelerate this market. As an enthusiast I am truly excited to see where this progresses.

metoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G8 GT
Country flag
Lets just imagine its a direct bolt-on and no software tinkering needs to be done. It would be faster in the 1/4 than a GT (if nothing melts) due to lack of 5 sec rule.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Came across this today, does anyone have any idea what kind of work would be involved to get this motor in a P4X?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9000-MACHE

Ford Performance Parts is proud to offer the Eluminator!!! This electric motor is from the 2021 Mustang Mach E GT.
  • Peak power: 210kW (281hp)
  • Peak torque: 430Nm (317 lb.-ft.)
  • Max speed: 13,800rpm
  • Gear ratio: 9.05:1
  • Weight: 93kg / 205 lbs
Includes:
  • HV motor to traction inverter harness
  • LV harness/connector
  • Vent tube assembly.
Does NOT include:
  • Traction inverter
  • Control system
  • Battery
I don't think that motor would work. From my understanding that's the rear motor from the MME.

I had the same thought if I put a GT front motor in my premium would it work. I do think the answer is yes but it's probably not worth doing the swap.

I believe you would want a doner car and swap the whole front drive assembly. Then you would need to reflash all the related modules to make the car think it's a GT.

Anything is possible but you would probably be better off trading your premium for a GT.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I had thought about giving the Smurfmobile a bit more get up and go this way. Then I wondered what would happen the next time Ford sent an OTA update to the car. Would all the software changes revert to stock?

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I had thought about giving the Smurfmobile a bit more get up and go this way. Then I wondered what would happen the next time Ford sent an OTA update to the car. Would all the software changes revert to stock?
in watching some of the videos about the HVBJB even that is different GT vs premium or select. So part of this swap would be removing the battery and replacing the HVBJB. Who knows what other modules would need to be swapped? I bet that someday this swap will be done but for now, it is probably cheaper to trade and upgrade to a GT or GTPE
Sponsored