GT Performance Edition vs Standard GT worth it?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
On your current car, just remove the headrest, flip it around, and reinsert it (allowed at autocrosses). But the GTPE's seats have fixed headrests...hmmm, I'll have to do a seat mod, I guess.
I’ve done that with other cars.

Fusion’s head rests are problematic. I reclined the seats all the way and still don’t have the vertical clearance to remove them. They have a funky shape anyhow. They have this flipped back curve to them that would be a problem if turned backward.

I’m thinking that I’m going to have to skin and modify the headrest portion of the seat or junk the driver’s seat and put in something else. Replacement is probably cheaper.
Sponsored

Maletone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Product Security Engineer
Country flag
For me the GT PE was not worth the extra 5k. I just decided the extra 5k could be spent in better places and ordered the GT. I really don't mind the GT wheels and think they actually look pretty unique. Though I can see how some people would hate them, and if you hate those wheels than the GT PE is definitely a worthwhile purchase.

The Magneride is a big plus but to me it was not worth the extra 5k. I did consider the GT PE for quite a while, but 3.8 seconds 0-60 is more than enough for pretty much any reason I could think of and the extended range is just more useful to me than shaving off .3 seconds.

Of course everyone has their priorities and no one answer fits all, but I felt the GT was the perfect blend of price, performance and range for my use!

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
My justifications for the GT were fairly simple as I didn't want pano roof...like at all. But did want bluecruise. From there the 8" wheels suck no matter what the design is so I'll be getting new ones so the PE wheels are of no benefit. The Magneride is all I would have preferred but in the particular combination offered it was a no go.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
I just want the best version. I'd probably prefer not to have the shatter prone roof, but it is what it is. I hope my fat ass fits in the seat. I used to fit in my 2012 Boss 302 Recaro seats, so I'm optimistic.

Stangracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus IS350C Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I ordered the Performance Edition for the wheels, Magneride, and bump in power. I loved the seats in the Select that I test drove. Fingers crossed the GTPE seats are also a good fit for me.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Yup, which is why even though I wanted Co-Pilot 360/Active 2.0, I do not have it configured on my order. I don’t want the added weight up high. Ford seems to have screwed the pooch on that particular requirement. Well, at least for me.
Even discounting the weight, those of us in sunny states don't need a massive heat-source cooking our necks in the summer.

JcMarin

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GT, Mustang EcoBoost, F-Type
Occupation
Telecom
Country flag
I thought about this for a while before ordering, but finally went with the GT, the price difference was significant and the only compelling upgrade for me was the MagneRide, and possibly the better Brembro brakes. (which I don't see mentioned here)

I actually like the wheels on the GT and also like the interior with the Orange highlights on the seats and dash better than the metallic ones on the PE (I ordered in Cyber Orange).

The one thing that I'm still debating is if I should add the Ford Co-Pilot360 Active 2.0 option. I don't like paying for something that is not released yet and not sure how much I would really use the auto-pilot features.

Anyone knows if this can be added afterwards? I know there are several cameras and sensors that are actually added to the package, so not sure if this is possible if i decide to get it later.

Xenotet

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Ford Focus ST, ‘21 Toyota Venza Ltd
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag
I thought about this for a while before ordering, but finally went with the GT, the price difference was significant and the only compelling upgrade for me was the MagneRide, and possibly the better Brembro brakes. (which I don't see mentioned here)

I actually like the wheels on the GT and also like the interior with the Orange highlights on the seats and dash better than the metallic ones on the PE (I ordered in Cyber Orange).

The one thing that I'm still debating is if I should add the Ford Co-Pilot360 Active 2.0 option. I don't like paying for something that is not released yet and not sure how much I would really use the auto-pilot features.

Anyone knows if this can be added afterwards? I know there are several cameras and sensors that are actually added to the package, so not sure if this is possible if i decide to get it later.
The brakes are the same between GT and GTPE except the PE has the Brembo logo painted on and the GT doesn't (presumable because of the visibility difference between the two wheels).

And no, you can't add 360 on later because, as you mentioned, the option includes the cameras necessary for BlueCruise.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
Even discounting the weight, those of us in sunny states don't need a massive heat-source cooking our necks in the summer.
I live in Pennsylvania so not one of the sun states but we are in the middle of the summer heat and sun and I do not feel any heat coming in the glass roof on my premium. None. I do not know how they do it but I often forget it is a glass roof and sunny while driving. No bright sun and no heat come through.

With a sun roof I would always close in the middle of the day from the sun and heat. Totally different in the Mache.

doesn’t mean sitting parked in the sun that it doesn’t get hot but no more so than a metal roof in my opinion.

Last edited:

MachMachWhoThere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT Iconic Silver
Country flag
I live in Pennsylvania so not one of the sun states but we are in the middle of the summer heat and sun and I do not feel any heat coming in the glass roof on my premium. None. I do not know how they do it but I often forget it is a glass roof and sunny while driving. No bright sun and no heat come through.

I normal sun roof I would always close in the middle of the day from the sun and heat. Totally different in the Mache.
That’s encouraging since I’m in PA, too! Went with the pano on my GT order.

malthusunc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E, 2017 EcoBoost Convertible
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Country flag
That’s encouraging since I’m in PA, too! Went with the pano on my GT order.
I live in NC but I don't notice any heat on my FE. I do notice that the AC is the best I've ever had.
We go to houses and spend 30-45 minutes at the house and we get back in the car, totally drenched, that AC has the cabin cooled down in seconds. I think I also notice how good it is when you roll down the windows (say to order at a drive-thru), you can really feel the cold air leaving/hot air sucking in.

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
I just want the best version. I'd probably prefer not to have the shatter prone roof, but it is what it is. I hope my fat ass fits in the seat. I used to fit in my 2012 Boss 302 Recaro seats, so I'm optimistic.
I used to wear size 30 waist jeans

metoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G8 GT
Country flag
Yup, which is why even though I wanted Co-Pilot 360/Active 2.0, I do not have it configured on my order. I don’t want the added weight up high. Ford seems to have screwed the pooch on that particular requirement. Well, at least for me.
Im curious about that. Everyone assumes the glass roof is heavier than the metal roof . If the glass si.ply replaced a single layer of steel, then yes, but if there's cross bracing and such, plus headliner, how much difference are we really talking about? I'd love to see 2 Mach-e identically equipped with the exception of the pano glass get on the same scale separately.

Last edited:

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Im curious about that. Everyone assumes the glass is heavier that none. If the glass liteally replaced a single layer of steel, then yes, but if there's cross bracing annd such, plus headliner, how much difference are we really talking about? I'd love to see 2 Mach-e identically equipped with the exception of the pano glass get on the same scale separately.

My understanding of the glass roof vs metal roof is like comparing a convertible to a hard top. Convertible weighs more due to extra bracing needed to make up for lack of roof. With a metal roof, it's a fairly thin sheet with a few cross braces to stiffen it. With the glass, you have to brace elsewhere to stiffen the car back up.

Now I could be totally wrong ?‍♂
Sponsored