AndrewY

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
My understanding is that the GT (not GTPE) is supposed to come with all-season tires. (One of the reasons I did not get the GTPE is due to it coming with "summer tires"). Looking at my tires, I don't see the M&S symbol that I would expect to see (and is required under certain road conditions by WA law -- https://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-24-040). Did I somehow get the wrong tires delivered? Are there "all season" tires that are not appropriate traction tires? Am I just blind and not seeing the symbol that is clearly there?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
There is no M + S symbol. It simply says M + S.
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Tires M+S

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My understanding is that the GT (not GTPE) is supposed to come with all-season tires. (One of the reasons I did not get the GTPE is due to it coming with "summer tires"). Looking at my tires, I don't see the M&S symbol that I would expect to see (and is required under certain road conditions by WA law -- https://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-24-040). Did I somehow get the wrong tires delivered? Are there "all season" tires that are not appropriate traction tires? Am I just blind and not seeing the symbol that is clearly there?
GT comes with all seasons. Post pics of your tires if you're still confused and the peanut gallery will happily chime in.

lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E E4X
Occupation
SWE
Country flag
Not adding anything useful to the conversation but kind of amusing that you decided between a GT/GTPE based on the one thing you could quickly swap out.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The GT-PE comes with Pirelli P-Zero Elect Summer tires. If your car does not have those, it does not have the GT-PE tires. 🤷‍♂️🐩

ddr24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Expedition, 2023 MachE GTPE
Country flag
Not adding anything useful to the conversation but kind of amusing that you decided between a GT/GTPE based on the one thing you could quickly swap out.
Fair comment. Though he did say "one of the reasons", and it was a reason I did consider...perhaps not the ONLY reason one would decide against the GTPE ("do I need the magnaride...can I afford the additional cost of the PE", come to mind). For me, I hated the idea of springing for the GTPE only to have to dish out more $$ for AS or winter tires...AND the annoyance of swap-outs. I mean, I still decided on the GTPE, but... :)

OP
OP

AndrewY

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. It turns out the answer is I'm just blind. After seeing @RickMachE's photo, I looked at my tires again, and the "M + S" was right there. I don't know why I couldn't find it other times I looked. Interesting though, your photo shows Michelin tires, but mine came with Continentals.

Not the only reason. Mostly it was cost. There are many discussions here about whether Magneride is worth it or not, or even noticeable or not. Since I liked the GT ride, and wasn't able to test the GTPE ride before ordering, and I knew it didn't make a difference for some, I didn't think it was worth the extra 5-6k. And on top of that, I didn't want the additional hassle and expense of needing to get brand new tires for an already brand new car. We do have cold weather here, especially going across the mountains, so all-season tires is not a cost I could defer.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. It turns out the answer is I'm just blind. After seeing @RickMachE's photo, I looked at my tires again, and the "M + S" was right there. I don't know why I couldn't find it other times I looked. Interesting though, your photo shows Michelin tires, but mine came with Continentals.

Not the only reason. Mostly it was cost. There are many discussions here about whether Magneride is worth it or not, or even noticeable or not. Since I liked the GT ride, and wasn't able to test the GTPE ride before ordering, and I knew it didn't make a difference for some, I didn't think it was worth the extra 5-6k. And on top of that, I didn't want the additional hassle and expense of needing to get brand new tires for an already brand new car. We do have cold weather here, especially going across the mountains, so all-season tires is not a cost I could defer.
Rick’s car is a Premium, which has different tires than the GT. 😊🐩

apailthorp

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GT, 2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I'm not adding anything either, but I think your snicker is from a misunderstanding.

Sure, you can swap the tires out, cost maybe $2000 for wheels and good tires, then you have to store the ones that came on the car. (My garage is small and full.)

As for the extra oomph... hard to use what there is now.

You do get fancy suspension for that +$6K and some bigger seats, but I and other GT (non-PE) owners think about after market for competition or hard sporting, I want struts I can set myself and not integrated into the car computer... and I have $6K in my budget!

I may be waiting a while though. Trade offs.

I'll keep my eye on the next "PE" though, maybe the next one will have trade offs that make more sense to me.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
You may have been looking for the 3PMSF symbol rather than M+S, which some areas require (example below):

https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Traction-Tires

More info on 3PMSF: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

The GT all-season tires are not 3PMSF rated.
Correct, so if that is a legal requirement they don't meet it.

I will say I was extremely impressed with how our GT handled winter driving conditions (Upstate NY) last year on the factory tires. Much better than I expected.

lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E E4X
Occupation
SWE
Country flag
Makes sense, sorry, I didn't mean much by my comment. I think you made a great, informed decision.

During the 1 year wait from ordering to delivery, I also tried to justify going for a on-the-lot GT vs my eAWD. However, the excuse I gave to my wife for selling my 3 for the Mach-E involved a lower payment, so I didn't take any chances lol

Last edited:

babgvant

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Swapping on some Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus XL was the first modification I made to my GTPE.

Nygman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang MachE GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Tax
Country flag
I will say as a soon to be GTPE owner, my winter tires are on their way to the dealership to install. While it does suck to have to buy a second set of tires, it will prolong the life of the other set. In theory I will get more time from my summer tires because I put winter tires on during the winter. So if you keep the car long-term it actually doesn't cost that much more and in fact buying the tires today it would probably be cheaper than if I bought a new set for my car in two to three years. I was going to just put on all seasons and sell the summer tires but as I looked into it, I now plan to keep it them as it made sense to have a dedicated winter set, and a dedicated Summer set. I usually put my snow tires on in late October to early November and take them off sometime in March, so that's 5 months less wear on the summer tires each year. I will note my snow tires are less expensive than my summer tires to replace right now. So yes it may be more upfront but over the life of the car I don't think that's the case.
Sponsored