GT wheel covers - how to remove?

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I'm actually thinking about buying the GTPE wheels from parts (yeah it's insanely expensive) and swapping the GT wheels out. Would they fit the same bolt pattern on a regular GT without any issues?
Sponsored

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
i think both sets are pretty ugly. i may have the flower power wheels dipped so they're less conspicuous. but frankly, i prefer arachnid type wheels.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Replacement wheels are literally more money. Thousands more in fact. How many thousands depends on whether you go with unifit Tire Rack wheels and centering rings or really go the long dollar for custom forged wheels. Then you'll get next to nothing trying to sell the take offs that most people don't want, if you can sell them at all. Moving up to the PE sure seems like the smart move to me. YMMV.
More money than doing nothing, but less money than going up 5k+ for wheels alone (which aren't even great wheels anyways based on width/offset).

As a comparison I bought 20x9 flow formed wheels for my M40i with new tires for around 2k. Sold the stock wheels and tires for 1.5k. It cost me 500 bucks for the upgrade. Not sure these "flower" wheels are going to sell for next to nothing. Betcha folks will get at least 1k for a set....assuming you didn't like the idea of having two sets of wheels anyways to be able to have a summer and winter tire setup.

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I'm actually thinking about buying the GTPE wheels from parts (yeah it's insanely expensive) and swapping the GT wheels out. Would they fit the same bolt pattern on a regular GT without any issues?
You might be able to find some GT owners to swap. There are people who prefer the GT wheels.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I guess I'll wait and see what my in person impression is. At first I thought just to remove the covers, but it seems maybe more trouble than it's worth with the cap not fitting and all.. we'll see. Looking around at various rims on the street, it is easy to get tired of certain styles that every car has. And the same rims can look fantastic on one car and hideous on another.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Has anyone gotten the ID of the center bore without the covers yet so we can find a compatible cap?
Anyone? Would look pretty bad with no center caps. The real problem I have with the shiny black plastic aero covers, is the swirls and scratches they will certainly get within a month and look awful. They are so much more fragile than metal and paint.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
i think both sets are pretty ugly. i may have the flower power wheels dipped so they're less conspicuous. but frankly, i prefer arachnid type wheels.
I saw an image online but I can't seem to find it anymore. A GT that had dipped their flower wheels bronze and it actually looked pretty good to me, and I dislike the regular GT wheels. I'll keep looking for the image

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I'd just like to know if any stock pony cap would fit the hole left behind. maybe parts can figure it out.

WJKramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT
Country flag
I am not a huge fan of either GT or GTPE wheels but I can at least somewhat stomach the standard flower wheels. The GTPE is way too busy for me. And being summer only tires I wasn't willing to pop on the GTPE over that GT. The managa ride would have been nice though.

JediGamerCT

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Flex
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I can't even talk to my wife about my order without a remark about the stupid looking tulip wheels.
Hah! My wife actually likes the “flower” wheels so since we weren’t fans of what Ford did with the Star White with the new “Ice White” appearance package you automatically get, we adjusted our order to the GT with the flower wheels. Maybe eventually I can get different wheels for it.

Last edited:

Lilliang

First Name
Lillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach- E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The first thing I am going to do when I receive my GT is remove the covers. They look so much better without them imo.
Have you had the aero covers removed on your GT? Is so, did you find a canter cap? Please send pic. Thank you

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Danny Partridge and Ruben Kinkaid want their wheels back ……

jes sayin