Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Yeah we get it, law of averages and blah blah, but an ESP for a vehicle isn't like the lottery and saying it is already shows a lack of understanding of the product.

We have only bought one ESP so far and it was on our Focus Electric. We bought it used and knew we were going to put a lot of miles on it, and I got it for $800 before redeeming some FordPass points (you can use FordPass points towards the cost FYI), and it came down to $600.

Six or seven months into owning that FE, my wife noticed a shudder from the steering wheel. Took it to a Ford dealer and they ended up replacing part of the steering rack, price would have been ~$4000 between parts and labor.

We sold that FE when the MME came in and Flood Ford who we got the ESP through sent us a refund check for the prorated value of the ESP of $600. So $200 in Ford Pass points and the $100 deductible saved us $4k in repair costs. It isn't like these vehicles are getting any easier (or cheaper) to work on either.

Nobody said buy one for every vehicle, so the person that referenced that is missing the point there also unless they have kept every vehicle for 10 years, and if they have, no house short of a barely standing shack could be bought with the ~$15k that would cost you over 100 years of vehicle ownership (Assuming $1500/warranty bought on average, vehicle kept for 10 years each).

Buy an ESP, or don't, I get nothing out of it. I don't buy ESPs for our electronics or appliances because electronics generally get cheaper (our 65" TV was about $1800 when we got it in 2016, an arguably better TV in pure features and image quality can be had for about $500 now), and there is incentive to upgrade anyway. Appliances can either be worked on without too much difficulty, with some exceptions, or don't suffer any major failures during a reasonable life time anyway.

Cars though have SO many components and are getting less repairable every year. I wouldn't buy a 3rd party ESP, but a Ford one I can take to a Ford dealer even if out on a road trip and something goes wrong, that's just insurance. There are some things an ESP won't cover the Bumper to bumper will, it's important to read all the fine print, but don't let people scare you away from it if you decide to get one and also keep in mind you don't have to get until you are close to warranty expiration, which gives you time to get a "feel" for how troublesome a vehicle is likely to be. (You can get it some months after expiration too, as noted earlier, but it gets a lot more expensive/troublesome).
Agreed, first ever extended warranty purchase, and it is not a knock on the MME, it's something I would consider on any advanced, expensive car, lots of tech to go bad and I am in for the long haul.

And yes when I bought the dealer was selling ESP for $4500, but shop around and paid $1600.
Sponsored

ricojm

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Mustang, 2021 Mach E
Country flag
Something must of changed for Calif ESP’s, out of state sites don’t allow purchases from our state anymore, I had checked prior and it was available, now they all refer to Ford or an authorized CA dealer…crazy crap if you ask me!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Something must of changed for Calif ESP’s, out of state sites don’t allow purchases from our state anymore, I had checked prior and it was available, now they all refer to Ford or an authorized CA dealer…crazy crap if you ask me!
Yes, blame that on your state, not the sellers of the product.

AaronTV

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD, 2022 Mach 1, 2022 GTI
Country flag
OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I do not recall the refund amount, but it was decent and a nice surprise. As I recall, as soon as I had made the trade in, I called Zeigler and told them and they process the refund.

I also only did the ESP, $200 deductible.

Ya I can say until recently I would never buy extended warranty, but in the case of the Flex, it was the first new car that left my wife stranded twice. She loved it so I decided to add it. I also have a 2014 Ram 1500 with max car lifetime warranty, I had a limp mode failure and was over the cost of the warranty right now so now all repairs are bonus. This car is ok, but we have seen some flack screen issues and I'm not willing to have to deal with it, this cost was $1,100 for 3 more years and 100k miles

Last edited:

Haven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT 7-8-21, Flex
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
…
Ya I can say until recently I would never buy extended warranty, but in the case of the Flex, it was the first new car that left my wife stranded twice. She loved it so I decided to add it. I also have a 2014 Ram 1500 with max car lifetime warranty, I had a limp mode failure and was over the cost of the warranty right now so now all repairs are bonus. This car is ok, but we have seen some flack screen issues and I'm not willing to have to deal with it, this cost was $1,100 for 3 more years and 100k miles
I make it a policy to never get extended warranties as well. However, when we bought our Flex in 2019, we decided to get ESP. It was a good move as the entire sync system died. It would have been about $1000. We also have a key fob that’s gone bad. Guess I could have easily paid it out of all the savings of service contracts I’ve avoided.

So when I got the MME from Ziegler, I actually got ESP from Granger. It was $50 over cost. New platform and vehicle so wanted to protect myself as I plan to keep it a long time.
Sponsored