tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
I have Premium Care from ford directly (after I complained a lot) up to 75k miles. I'm at 68k now wanting to extend it to 150k. No can do.
Reached out to Granger Ford and they said " The maximum mileage would be the original 68,500 plus the additional 48,000 for a total of 116,500 miles. "

This is a lot short of 150K and it is far more expensive. They are quoting me 2550 for an additional 48k, and oh, I would have to cancel my existing Premium Care to get the new one.

Recommendations?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
How much has the current extended warranty saved you?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Time to cut your losses.
Yup. One of the biggest wastes of money for any product is extended warranties. House wins.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Time to cut your losses.
I suspect this was a policy Ford gave him at no charge due to the problems he had early on with his ownership.

That said, for that kind of money, I would be tempted to be self insured for repairs or be looking for my next vehicle if problems arose.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have never bought an extended warranty except on the first washer and dryer we owned, when I was stupid and naive.

In 40+ years, I have saved tens of thousands. I expect my total car repair costs outside warranty claims haven't hit $10k, including maintenance that warranties don't cover.

Self insurance for the win.

Last edited:

rhougey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Prem RWD, 1968 Mustang, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have Premium Care from ford directly (after I complained a lot) up to 75k miles. I'm at 68k now wanting to extend it to 150k. No can do.
Reached out to Granger Ford and they said " The maximum mileage would be the original 68,500 plus the additional 48,000 for a total of 116,500 miles. "

This is a lot short of 150K and it is far more expensive. They are quoting me 2550 for an additional 48k, and oh, I would have to cancel my existing Premium Care to get the new one.

Recommendations?
I have, I believe, probably the same deal you have. After they finally solved the front camera problem right at 36,000 miles and after 6 months of trying, Ford motor company comped me with the 5 yr / 75,000 mile premium extended service plan. That was reasonable at the time, since there was no assurance at that time that the last attempt was actually the final fix. As it turned out, it was the final fix, and the car has been perfect ever since. I am now at 48,000 miles, and it has been my intention to inquire about the cost to re-purchase when I get to the 75,000 mile point. At the price they are quoting you, I don't think I would buy. Statistically, as others have said, the odds are against you when buying insurance. I normally do not purchase these.

That said, I did, however buy my first and only "extended warranty" on my 2014 Ram 1500, because I intend to keep it as long as possible, and with all the options I ordered, it seemed likely I would make out well. At the time, it was FCA's Maximum Care, lifetime, unlimited mileage, $0 deductible warranty, and I paid $3500 up front for it. I've now had the truck almost 10 years, it has 96,000 miles on it, and the extended warranty has covered $10,000 worth of dealer repairs, probably worth around $7000 if done at independent shops. So in this case, my gamble has worked in my favor. Interestingly, they no longer offer that contract.

Just Lurking

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag

Recommendations?
Does the extended warranty also extend the battery warranty (by default 8 years, 100k miles)?

In general extended warranties are a bit of a scam and not worth the cost. That goes for phones, laptops, dishwashers, TVs, cars, etc.

OP
OP
tfitzgex

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
Does the extended warranty also extend the battery warranty (by default 8 years, 100k miles)?

In general extended warranties are a bit of a scam and not worth the cost. That goes for phones, laptops, dishwashers, TVs, cars, etc.
No it does not cover the high voltage battery

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
I have never bought an extended warranty except on the first washer and dryer we owned, when I was stupid and naive.

In 40+ years, I have saved tens of thousands. I expect my total car outside warranty claims haven't hit $10k, including maintenance that warranties don't cover.

Self insurance for the win.
THIS /\ /\ /\

Could be something I wrote, except for the bit about ever buying in once😁

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Haters gonna hate. The warranties are a good way to fix costs. My last 4 cars 2 Fords and 2 Lincolns FMC lost money on the warranty. I buy the 8 year 125k for me that covers the car for the life I keep it.

One other note my plan has the first day rental so I get a rental even during the 3/36 warranty period. Convenient to have a car to use as my 2021 has been in the shop a fair amount.

Sounds like your options are limited because your car is out of factory warranty. You could always contact Ford if they have a premium care service center to see if there are any other options.

Last edited:

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
They have gone up, you do also get a bigger discount if you pick a deductible. Also if your gonna use Ziegler use code save100 to save 100 or paidinfull for a $250 discount

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Put the $2550 in the bank at 5% interest and use it for repair costs in the future. I’m pretty sure you’ll have some left over before you hit the 48k miles.

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I got 8yr/100k miles for less than $1400 minus roughly $300 using Ford pass points. I just had a big screen replaced under warranty. Used ones on ebay are $1000. Service advisor told me the little screen (in Escape/Maverick?) would cost $1,500 so a MME screen could be $4,000. I also bought the 5yr triplecare for $400+ after a flat ($25). I felt stupid that I did not buy the triplecare plan before the flat. One PDR was $150. I'm very certain that I would have enough PDR claims to get my money back plus interest. New tires would be my dividends.
Sponsored