Handles!!

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Personally think the added door handle is goofy, still when it was first mentioned the mach-e was getting e-latches I had visions of the ones on the lincoln continental those look truly awful to me so it could have been a lot worse.

While thankfully it has been a number of years since I have had to worry about ice of a car the doors should have no problem opening as ford will have tested it with a thick layer of ice on top also looking at the size of the actuator that comes out to push the door open it should have no problem cracking a layer of ice.

The doors design is also not frameless which can also cause problems in the cold weather if not done properlly (looking at you tesla), so overall I doubt there will be any issues getting into the car if left out in the harshest of winters. The only thing I really wish ford USA would add to the cars over here is the heated front windscreen that has been on euro fords for over 30 years as not having them over here is really irritating.
Sponsored

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
good points re: additional leverage to deal with ice, etc. obviously ford thought more about different weather conditions than tesla.

but living in southern california, i definitely hope the handle is removable. i don't hate it, but it's definitely sleeker without it and matches the rear. i think folks will get used to the button and just grabbing the door. what i don't think is intuitive is tesla's push button to get _out_ of a car instead of a pull lever to get out. what were they thinking? another reason i'm not excited about the Y

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
what i don't think is intuitive is tesla's push button to get _out_ of a car instead of a pull lever to get out. what were they thinking? another reason i'm not excited about the Y
They are just trying to push your buttons!

Badgeringweasel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camry Hybrid
Country flag
I remember reading somewhere that Ford has some mechanism so fingers can't get crushed if someone bumps the door when opening it, especially for the back door. There may even have been a video of someone trying to slam their fingers in the back doors. I can't find it anywhere, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I remember reading somewhere that Ford has some mechanism so fingers can't get crushed if someone bumps the door when opening it, especially for the back door. There may even have been a video of someone trying to slam their fingers in the back doors. I can't find it anywhere, does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Yes indeed in one of the videos they showed that when the door is "presented" (their term for when its "cracked open so you can grab it") you cannot close the door, it must be opened. They even demonstrated the part that holds the door open retracting when the engineer slowly pulled the door further open.

When its in that state you can lean against the car with your full weight and the door will not close. (of course you may put a dent in the door but no fingers will be crushed.)

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
At 10:30 into this video it demonstrates the safety feature that prevents your fingers getting caught in the door:

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Their front door handle design is a bit unusual, but it has a reason to it. You can open the front door even if your hand isn't free. This was demonstrated in one of the Ford videos, push the button and use your wrist to pull the door handle even when holding 2 drinks. So for those of us with full hands much of the time, a single finger method is great. I've done that for years, and most current door handles allow this.

The model 3 design requires most of the hand to be free and has two motions to activate it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The aesthetics of the door handle is great when the doors are closed. Unless you know where they are, you'll be wondering where they hid them.

OP
OP
Gforcemurphy

Gforcemurphy

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDI
Country flag
The front door handle you see is not the final one. On final models the handle will be more like a "winglet" and not the cheap glued-on handle ?
Very interesting. Presumably you were told this when at the London event. That’s good to hear, as as beautiful as the car is, I just can’t shake the impression that the things we see now are no more than an afterthought.

SSman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X3
Country flag
The front door handle you see is not the final one. On final models the handle will be more like a "winglet" and not the cheap glued-on handle ?
Same question as poster above. Were you told this? Thanks

Golfer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, i3
Country flag
The Ford handles don’t pop out like the 3’s. So the good news are that they won’t freeze... but the bad are that they’re always sticking out like that. I’d rather not have any at all.
The handles are in the same gloss black finish as the B pillars so in most pics you can't even spot them unless you're looking for them. I hardly think it detracts from the look of the Mach-E at all and I like that they don't recess or pop-up. One less mechanical part to fail.

That would be even better! Even though I have no issues with the handles we've been shown so far.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The handles are in the same gloss black finish as the B pillars so in most pics you can't even spot them unless you're looking for them. I hardly think it detracts from the look of the Mach-E at all and I like that they don't recess or pop-up. One less mechanical part to fail.
That's one of the things I really like about the Mach-e. They've done a great job of "hiding" some items like that with the black trim while keeping the sleek look intact in color. Most notably, the higher roof that makes it more of a real crossover rather than a low hatchback. But also the door handles. They're not even noticeable until you look really close.

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
I'm not a fan of the back doors not having any type of a handle. I anticipate that people with rings and/or watches will scratch the paint while putting their hands into the door jam to get in the car.
Sponsored