Help me decide: Mach-E or Model Y

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
[*]I still haven't driven a MME yet (same goes for the Q4 unless the ID.4 counts) but have test driven the MYLR a couple times. It's hard to really compare when availability is so sparse right now. Is there a good place to rent a MME?
[*
There are various available on Turo, private owner rentals.
Sponsored

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
My personal thought, that I think pretty much everyone disagrees with, is that LED projector headlamps are overkill in the brightness department and that the standard headlamps, i.e. LED reflectors, should be just fine.
I don't and I'd vote we go back 10 years on headlights. I had cataract surgery, got in just as Covid hit. In fact I was riding home from the next day follow up of my second eye, the Uber driver had Rush on ranting about Covid being a Democratic hoax. So, it's timing is etched forever in my brain.

But I digressed.

Regardless, the surgery gave me 20/20 and 20/25, without glasses, but it also gave me very large halos on LED headlights and often on taillights. I can drive at night but would hate to do it in stop and go or a busy freeway at night. Needless to say, night driving in Vegas is also out.

So, you all are welcome to pick less powerful headlights any time you want.

Reactions: ARK

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
long before a MME or a Q4.
I should pay a visit to the Audi dealer just to get a vibe on the time frame. It's a car that has everything I want (unless Audi finds some way to have $1000 services on it) but It sounds like it'll sort of follow the id.4 path, RWD followed by AWD, arriving some time between 6 months and forever.

I'm pretty patient and I've been planning on next year but it's probably time to place an order. People are at least getting MME's, who knows on the other cars I'm interested in, and on the score sheet they're all pretty close to each other.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
I should pay a visit to the Audi dealer just to get a vibe on the time frame. It's a car that has everything I want (unless Audi finds some way to have $1000 services on it) but It sounds like it'll sort of follow the id.4 path, RWD followed by AWD, arriving some time between 6 months and forever.

I'm pretty patient and I've been planning on next year but it's probably time to place an order. People are at least getting MME's, who knows on the other cars I'm interested in, and on the score sheet they're all pretty close to each other.
Audi is a beautiful safe car....... but their specs suck........

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Another weird thing about Tesla - they keep the battery capacity in secret

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cal Route 1 AWD Grabber Blue (on order)
Country flag
I still haven't driven a MME yet (same goes for the Q4 unless the ID.4 counts) but have test driven the MYLR a couple times. It's hard to really compare when availability is so sparse right now. Is there a good place to rent a MME?
My dealer didn’t have one either when I first checked in. I asked him if I could test drive the next car he got in, and he called me within a week with a Ca Rte 1 they received. That’s how I got a test drive. I don’t think they had that car for more than a few days (with $10K ADM), so you need to act quickly.

Progress

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red MME GTPE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If you are comparing the cars listed in the first post of this forum, get the Tesla. But if you are willing to wait for a MME GTPE, it has several advantages over any Tesla. Most importantly, the MagneRide suspension will give you a much smoother ride, the build quality of the car will give you a quieter ride, and the added performance will make the GTPE keep up with the speed of a Model Y. The $7500 federal tax rebate only available on the MME brings the prices for the 2 cars closer together.

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cal Route 1 AWD Grabber Blue (on order)
Country flag
I didn't see anyone mention that the Mach E still qualifies for the federal $7500 tax rebate. The Tesla does not. So in addition to Pepper's well thought out posts, I would say $7500 is another huge reason to strongly consider the Mach E. I ordered the Mach E for all the reasons Pepper said plus the huge rebate, in addition to potential state rebates I may qualify for on top of that.

Also, my wife didn't enjoy the one-pedal driving when test driving both vehicles. On the Tesla, she's stuck with it. On the Mach E, she can turn it off and drive in the traditional two-pedal method she currently prefers, although I think in time she'll come around.
The $7.5K is still a factor. I am just not including in the equation until I have a car available for pickup. By then, Congress may have reinstated the credit for Tesla.

Falcon73

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 P8 Recharge, Considering Mach-E
Occupation
Insurance Broker
Country flag
There are various available on Turo, private owner rentals.
I've looked on Turo, but there's an odd black hole around Orange County. The closest are beyond Downey, beyond Del Mar or Riverside. Maybe I should just park my car and drive one for a day in one of those locales. I was hoping there would be another option besides Turo, but I haven't found any.

There's no shortage of MY's to rent, but I can test drive one pretty much any time I want.

I've test driven the regular 2019 etron a couple times and liked it a lot (except for the price). The fact the Q4 is built on the same platform as the ID.4 worries me a bit as re the braking, but the MME might have the same problem.

My dealer didn’t have one either when I first checked in. I asked him if I could test drive the next car he got in, and he called me within a week with a Ca Rte 1 they received. That’s how I got a test drive. I don’t think they had that car for more than a few days (with $10K ADM), so you need to act quickly.
I've *seen* two MME's at the local dealer, but they were already sold, so I couldn't drive them or even sit in them. But if they were already sold why were they still there? They also told me the blue color was no longer available, but that was a couple months ago, I think. Twice I've gone to the dealer for a test drive and both times they sold within an hour or so after the sales rep let me know.

samev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I don't and I'd vote we go back 10 years on headlights. I had cataract surgery, got in just as Covid hit. In fact I was riding home from the next day follow up of my second eye, the Uber driver had Rush on ranting about Covid being a Democratic hoax. So, it's timing is etched forever in my brain.

But I digressed.

Regardless, the surgery gave me 20/20 and 20/25, without glasses, but it also gave me very large halos on LED headlights and often on taillights. I can drive at night but would hate to do it in stop and go or a busy freeway at night. Needless to say, night driving in Vegas is also out.

So, you all are welcome to pick less powerful headlights any time you want.
I hear projector lamps are generally less distracting for oncoming drivers than reflector headlights. YMMV.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
My favorite thing about my Mach-e. It is NOT a Tesla!! I live in honolulu and Y& 3’s are every 5th car and all the models look the same from across the street
I see Tesla’s everywhere on the Big Island. I’ve seen exactly one other Mach-e here, the dealers demo car.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
If you are comparing the cars listed in the first post of this forum, get the Tesla. But if you are willing to wait for a MME GTPE, it has several advantages over any Tesla. Most importantly, the MagneRide suspension will give you a much smoother ride, the build quality of the car will give you a quieter ride, and the added performance will make the GTPE keep up with the speed of a Model Y. The $7500 federal tax rebate only available on the MME brings the prices for the 2 cars closer together.
Why GTPE? Standard eAWD specs are similar to YLR

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
I see Tesla’s everywhere on the Big Island. I’ve seen exactly one other Mach-e here, the dealers demo car.
That is actually plus to tesla..... much better tested and "polished" car......

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
That is actually plus to tesla..... much better tested and "polished" car......
They have a stunningly bad mx rep here. Bookings for mobile service is far in advance and anything major is a real problem as the only service center is in Honolulu. That’s an extra $900 cost in round trip barge service and several weeks without a car.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
They have a stunningly bad mx rep here. Bookings for mobile service is far in advance and anything major is a real problem as the only service center is in Honolulu. That’s an extra $900 cost in round trip barge service and several weeks without a car.
Why all those troubles? You don't need anything fancier then a golf card on an island ......... ?
Sponsored

Last edited: