Help me decide: Mach-E or Model Y

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
You’re all much friendlier than over at the T forum!
i haven't been to a Tesla forum but lurked in Audi and Jag forums for a while before buying the MME.

i think non-Tesla owners are more respectful of other brands ... it probably comes down to how fandom works.
Sponsored

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What did you get for the ID.4 and what trim level was it? Did you trade it directly to Tesla?
ID.4 Pro (lowest trim - base RWD) and I traded it directly to Tesla (who sent it to auction).

CarMax, Vroom, Carvana, etc. offered $2K more but in FL there is tax savings with trade ins. I got $37K which was slightly over break even after taxes/fees/EV-credit. The used car market is insane.

Since my favorite EV is still the Model 3 SR+ (light, agile, handles well), the Mach-E is closet to that. The lowered ride (5.7" - lowest ground clearance of the SUVs) is probably why. The ID.4 definitely feels more like a CX-5 / RAV4 with the highest ground clearance(8.2") and softer suspension. All these SUV EVs had to make comprises.

DrSteveBrule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
ID.4 Pro (lowest trim - base RWD) and I traded it directly to Tesla (who sent it to auction).

CarMax, Vroom, Carvana, etc. offered $2K more but in FL there is tax savings with trade ins. I got $37K which was slightly over break even after taxes/fees/EV-credit. The used car market is insane.

Since my favorite EV is still the Model 3 SR+ (light, agile, handles well), the Mach-E is closet to that. The lowered ride (5.7" - lowest ground clearance of the SUVs) is probably why. The ID.4 definitely feels more like a CX-5 / RAV4 with the highest ground clearance(8.2") and softer suspension. All these SUV EVs had to make comprises.
Interesting...I appreciate the data point as I'm likely trading an ID.4 Pro S RWD for an MME. I have also had a Model 3 SR+ and I think your assessment is basically correct. The practicality of the ID.4 weighed heavily in its favor when I traded my Model 3. I'm hoping I find the MME to be a happy medium.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Interesting...I appreciate the data point as I'm likely trading an ID.4 Pro S RWD for an MME. I have also had a Model 3 SR+ and I think your assessment is basically correct. The practicality of the ID.4 weighed heavily in its favor when I traded my Model 3. I'm hoping I find the MME to be a happy medium.
From what I've heard Pro S RWD fetches $42K in trades.

As for the MME... I call it a Model 3 with an SUV butt. Folks hate this.. but it's true. It handles like the Model 3 (at least the RWD smaller battery variant) which is not true of the Model Y. The extended battery MME version was a tad heavier feeling - when I test drove that.

The quality of the UI/Infotainment of the MME is somewhere between the ID.4 and Model 3/Y. It's usable and not completely broken like in the ID.4. It's just not seamless like the Tesla where everything is integrated and just works.

MarcJ

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME on order
Occupation
Presales consultant
Country flag
And if you were surrounded by Tesla dealers, would you have reconsidered? I’m in Silicon Valley, and they are every. As ubiquitous as Starbucks. (well maybe that’s an exaggeration but only slightly)
That is why Tesla is so boring. They are everywhere. Simple....

Odmark91

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Extended range
Occupation
Tool and die maker
Country flag
I test drove a Model 3, Model Y, Kia EV6 GT-Line, Mercedes EQS (Mostly to feel what "premium" should actually feel like) and lastly the Mach-E.

I was so confident i would choose the EV6 because it truly is a great car with lots of gadgets, ok looks and a premium feel.
It's also cheap compared to the others.

Comparing the cars on paper I could not see myself choosing anything else, and today I test drove the Mach E and instantly, without a doubt, placed an order for a extended range AWD one.

It's simply a great car, very comfortable and an impressive chassis for what it is. And it is beautiful.
I thought it looked okay in pictures but in real life, my my.

My last car was an Alfa Romeo Stelvio, which is the greatest SUV I have ever driven, and the Mach E was the only car that felt at least a little close to it.

That being said, the EV6 is shockingly good, and when the EV6 GT arrives, I might just trade in the Ford. Time will tell.

Side note: The Mercedes EQS was not that impressive compared to the Ford and KIA in my eyes, I actually think the MME was more comfortable. Absolutely not worth the extra $$.

Last edited:

Falcon73

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 P8 Recharge, Considering Mach-E
Occupation
Insurance Broker
Country flag
I've been able to fix some things on my Tesla MYLR, but the seat is still a struggle and it's awful on my back. I've tried all sorts of things to no avail yet.

I did fix the screen swivel by adding a swivel mount, which is awesome! I also added a 2nd screen but that was a royal pain and wouldn't do it again. The OBD2 port tells me more.

The lack of a real Blind Spot Monitor and any Rear-Cross Traffic warnings still annoy me as well.

I put on a ceramic coating as the dark blue paint is so fragile too. I've dumped a lot of extra $ into the car.

Still no software updates over a month in now (not that it's bad - just missing some new features).

And oh yeah, I have finally used (four) Super Chargers. I don't like how crowded they are and out of the 4, two of my first tries were on broken chargers/cables.

But the seat pain to my back causing me not to want to drive it is the biggest downer. Test drives are never long enough to know if the seat is going to be a problem. Otherwise I could grow to like the car, especially with all my mods. I wouldn't buy it again, however, knowing what I know now.

My MME is supposed to be built in January. I will definitely need to rent one before then to know if the seat will work.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I've been able to fix some things on my Tesla MYLR, but the seat is still a struggle and it's awful on my back. I've tried all sorts of things to no avail yet.

I did fix the screen swivel by adding a swivel mount, which is awesome! I also added a 2nd screen but that was a royal pain and wouldn't do it again. The OBD2 port tells me more.

The lack of a real Blind Spot Monitor and any Rear-Cross Traffic warnings still annoy me as well.

I put on a ceramic coating as the dark blue paint is so fragile too. I've dumped a lot of extra $ into the car.

Still no software updates over a month in now (not that it's bad - just missing some new features).

And oh yeah, I have finally used (four) Super Chargers. I don't like how crowded they are and out of the 4, two of my first tries were on broken chargers/cables.

But the seat pain to my back causing me not to want to drive it is the biggest downer. Test drives are never long enough to know if the seat is going to be a problem. Otherwise I could grow to like the car, especially with all my mods. I wouldn't buy it again, however, knowing what I know now.

My MME is supposed to be built in January. I will definitely need to rent one before then to know if the seat will work.
You can always get an aftermarket seat or have a custom shop redo the ones you have to your spec...

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cal Route 1 AWD Grabber Blue (on order)
Country flag
A quick update… I just looked at my Ford account, and see a new production: 2/21/2022. Woo hoo!!!! I put my Tesla Model Y order on hold until 12/31/2021 (to ensure I can get a tax credit if one passes). Who knows when my EDD will be for the Y when it comes off hold.

So my wife is now asking me which car I’m going to get. My answer… whichever one gets here first! Honestly, that’s where I’m at. If the tax credit doesn’t pass but the Y gets here first, I’m going to have a heck of a time figuring out what to do. Hope that doesn’t happen!

I’m curious, with a 2/21 production date, when can I realistically expect to see a car. ?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If the tax credit doesn’t pass but the Y gets here first, I’m going to have a heck of a time figuring out what to do. Hope that doesn’t happen!
Depending on what the order price is... you could just buy + sell to CarMax, Carvana. Since you are in CA... that might not work because your sale tax on car is 10% (?). Unlike Mach-E orders, folks are able to secretly transfer Model Y orders behind Tesla's back by changing the registration info.

The real question is.. if BBB passes and both arriving within two weeks of each other say in March - which one do you choose? The first?

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Depending on what the order price is... you could just buy + sell to CarMax, Carvana. Since you are in CA... that might not work because your sale tax on car is 10% (?). Unlike Mach-E orders, folks are able to secretly transfer Model Y orders behind Tesla's back by changing the registration info.

The real question is.. if BBB passes and both arriving within two weeks of each other say in March - which one do you choose? The first?
Sunnyvale Sales tax: 9.125% Ouch! But it did occur to me to buy and resell. It’s an option if one shows up months earlier.

If BBB passes and both cars arrived on the same day???? I go back and forth every day. A colleague of mine shared his CA Rte 1 with me today (acquired in February) and so I’m currently leaning that way. But if the Tesla showed up a day earlier, gee I think I might go that way.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
A quick update… I just looked at my Ford account, and see a new production: 2/21/2022. Woo hoo!!!! I put my Tesla Model Y order on hold until 12/31/2021 (to ensure I can get a tax credit if one passes). Who knows when my EDD will be for the Y when it comes off hold.

So my wife is now asking me which car I’m going to get. My answer… whichever one gets here first! Honestly, that’s where I’m at. If the tax credit doesn’t pass but the Y gets here first, I’m going to have a heck of a time figuring out what to do. Hope that doesn’t happen!

I’m curious, with a 2/21 production date, when can I realistically expect to see a car. ?
Tax credit on the Y seems useless. They raised the price $9,000 in preparation for the credit. So if it doesn’t pass, they’ll probably just lower the price like they did when the credit ran out.

Tesla has figured out how to play the government game for sure.

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tax credit on the Y seems useless. They raised the price $9,000 in preparation for the credit. So if it doesn’t pass, they’ll probably just lower the price like they did when the credit ran out.

Tesla has figured out how to play the government game for sure.
Yeah they did do that. And here comes Elon complaining about the tax credits, meanwhile raising his prices to secure the benefit for Tesla.

I locked in my Y price at $54K back in September. Same price as the Mach E Rte 1 AWD I ordered. So the tax credit will help offset both of those prices.

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
One huge thing I didn't see in this thread... If you get into an accident with a Tesla they have a horrible track record providing repair parts to body shops. There are tons of horror stories on the Tesla forums of people waiting 5+ months with their cars at the body shop.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yeah they did do that. And here comes Elon complaining about the tax credits, meanwhile raising his prices to secure the benefit for Tesla.

I locked in my Y price at $54K back in September. Same price as the Mach E Rte 1 AWD I ordered. So the tax credit will help offset both of those prices.
I did read something the other day about Tesla trying to force people to take delivery instead of keeping on bumping their orders.

It’s like a game of cat and mouse trying to figure out who can secure the government credits for themselves. You or Tesla.

https://electrek.co/2021/11/24/tesla-tsla-sends-ultimatum-buyers-delaying-deliveries/amp/
Sponsored