Here's some news you can use if you are waiting for your new Mach E.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Ya I use 120v, but I only drive 35-40 miles a day.
This can be challenging in the winter. We had to replace our Grizzl-e (unit failure) and went a couple weeks with just 120V charging. With a 50 mile commute in the heart of an upstate NY winter, we just could not make it. We lost ~20% net per day.
Sponsored

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
We have switched to our MME for road trips where ever we can (just recently planned one that would be very challenging). DC fast charging (even at $0.43c) is still way cheaper than the 15mpg we get in our ICE alternative, and if you can get a hotel with an L2 charger EV road tripping can be very cheap!
I understand your position. When road tripping, I’m not patient enough to wait 30 mins for a charge, and I don’t love paying EA rates while I wait. Plus, there no guarantee that the Charging Station will even work (or be available) upon arrival.
Conversely, I love plugging in at night when I get home from work and never having stop for gas.

Upon reflection, it seems I’m all about convenience and want my vehicles to enable (and not slow down) my travel. im befuddled by people who seem to actually enjoy planning out the route, planning things to do while the car charges, etc. But I certainly acknowledge that doing such things somehow brings joy to others.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I understand your position. When road tripping, I’m not patient enough to wait 30 mins for a charge, and I don’t love paying EA rates while I wait. Plus, there no guarantee that the Charging Station will even work (or be available) upon arrival.
Conversely, I love plugging in at night when I get home from work and never having stop for gas.

Upon reflection, it seems I’m all about convenience and want my vehicles to enable (and not slow down) my travel. im befuddled by people who seem to actually enjoy planning out the route, planning things to do while the car charges, etc. But I certainly acknowledge that doing such things somehow brings joy to others.
Yup - we are all different. I will also say that as I get older (that 4 as first digit really hit), I enjoy trying to "cannonball" trips less enjoyable. Bathrooms are better than bottles and restaurants are nicer than jerky, nuts, and mountain dew.

I do suspect there is an overlap between those who enjoy the planning aspects and those who enjoy stat based role playing games - gotta min-max that trip!

KadeBR

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 RR Explorer ST, 2021 RR GTPE
Occupation
CDL Hazmat
Country flag
This can be challenging in the winter. We had to replace our Grizzl-e (unit failure) and went a couple weeks with just 120V charging. With a 50 mile commute in the heart of an upstate NY winter, we just could not make it. We lost ~20% net per day.
No problem for me -20f here during winter but I have a garage

KadeBR

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 RR Explorer ST, 2021 RR GTPE
Occupation
CDL Hazmat
Country flag
Granted I never used my heater either